General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I get a an LS1 Trans Am? or Cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you got the money get the cobra, you will make 500hp quick with a couple of bolt ons.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ChocoTaco... a T-top flying off is VERY common, about 50% of people lock their T-tops, and nobody leaves them unlatched. It is a design flaw. Your new, so take into consideration that someone who has been here 2 years longer than you may have read a little more.

As for the original topic. Sorry fella's 03/04 Cobra > LS1.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Toadman
Oh I forgot to mention I went from a 98 cavalier to the camaro and that was a huge change for the first week. My preference is the fbody because I like their looks.
I went from a 1st gen eclipse (read: tiny as hell) to my camaro. Got used to the size of the Fbody FAST. Now I drive so low I can barely see over the steering wheel let alone and piece of the hood, thats just whats comfortable.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust
ChocoTaco... a T-top flying off is VERY common, about 50% of people lock their T-tops, and nobody leaves them unlatched. It is a design flaw. Your new, so take into consideration that someone who has been here 2 years longer than you may have read a little more.

i, along with some of my friends, have had an f-body for 3 years. i have never heard of this. i have been in and out of shops for years and years. we have never heard of this. just because it happened to 3 people who posted it on here doesn't make it common. people only find the need to post complaints when something bad happens. cobras, i'm sure, have their little quirks, too. no car is perfect. no matter how well something is designed, it will eventually go wrong. and just because a t-top flies off and someone "says" it wasn't their fault doesn't make it so. a lot of people lie and make up stories. i may be newer to the site but i'm an f-body veteran and well accustomed to their flaws.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 06-06-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

if i could start over.. i would get 03-04 cobra...
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pick either one. It basically comes down to preferance because both cars have their bad points. A Cobra is usually about 25k and a LS1 with similar miles is about 15k.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Tough call, but a Cobra will lighten the wallet significantly. To me, the Cobra exhaust note is awesome, but I don't think I'd pay the premium for one. If you took a 03 Cobra with 20K miles and an 01-02 T/A with 20K miles, you would expect to pay about $7,000 more for the Cobra. That's a lot of mod money. It's tough to get a nice Cobra for under $28,000, but the f-bodies are pretty low now. I bought mine with under 4K miles for $16,000.

Bottom line is if you can afford it, the Cobra is a better performing car stock for stock. Better looking? I think not
Old 06-06-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u just have to go gm....
Old 06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i may be newer to the site but i'm an f-body veteran and well accustomed to their flaws.
And yet you didnt know when you bought your car that it didnt come with an aluminum driveshaft? You thought it did.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the dash isnt a big deal after a few days of driving....basically like everyone else said....cobras hol their resale way to much....and yes stock for stock a cobra is quicker...there will always be an argument on which one is a faster car...cobra guys say well you have more cubic inches....gm guys say well you have a blowr and 4 cams so that more than make up for the cubic inches...yes you can make a cobra big hp for cheap...also depends if you want an automatic or a 6spd..cant gt a a4 in a cobra...both motors make great power...but if you want the most bang for your buck by a ls1 for about 7-10k cheaper and throw a turbo on it and assrape a cobra in the ground....or spend 7-10k more and then on top of that about a grand to make 500rwhp and then shatter the IRS as soon as u slap slicks on..but on the other hand if you go with a 6sp GM your gonna dlow the rear out on slick too if you go to the track...it basically comes down to what you like...drive a couple of each and decide what looks.drives better for you...and then consider the money issue...either car is a monstr man...goood luck
Old 06-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Quote:
Funny how blue ovals have to be blown/turbo'd to be quick/fast.

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
I hate when people say that. It gets real old.
its the pure truth bro!!

Last edited by stangeater99; 06-06-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Get an ls1 man u will not regret it. With a couple good mods you can take out a cobra, and at the same time on a nice sunny day you can take off the ttops cruise around and let everyone admire the beauty of an fbod while ur hair floats in the wind
Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the Cobras a lot, I wish I could have afforded one when I bought my T/A. They're quick outta the box and stock for stock Cobra>LS1, a few mods and they haul serious ***. With an LS1 it just takes a few more mods to haul serious ***, but I love my car and wouldn't trade her now. So you can't go wrong with either one IMO. Also, you'll get used to the long dashboard.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

It's a just personal preference...... It depends on how much $$ you have and what your goals are.

Obviously the Cobra is going to be a larger up front investment. It's cheaper to mod, but will cost you a LOT more up front. They can have 500rwhp without even trying.

LS1- much cheaper to buy. Not too expensive to mod. You could get any ls1, slap on an STS turbo kit, call it a day.

Resale? It all depends. You really don't get money back from mods. So, you'll have to throw more money into the LS1 to go faster, but do you want to go faster?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by stangeater99
Quote:
Funny how blue ovals have to be blown/turbo'd to be quick/fast.

its the pure truth bro!!
Mach 1??

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If the 02 T/A came with the 03 Cobra motor as an option, I'd DEFINITELY take it!!

No doubt in my mind.... 03 cobra motor > LS1.

I freakin LOVE cars that come with forced induction from the factory. They're so cheap to mod!
Old 06-06-2006, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

I'm a big Chevy guy, but I respect the 03-04 Cobras. A supercharger pulley, exhaust and tune and you're in the 11's. I love the sound of them at the track. My vote goes to the Cobra.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i rode in an 03 cobra for the first time the other day. besides the silver gauges which i like the interior is just as shitty as an fbodies. its a slapped together car with a good drivetrain just like an ls1 fbody.

the car sounded good and made awesome power. im not and never will be overwhelmed by the looks of one. they look better than most mustangs but from certain angles it looks too bulky. wtf was ford thinking putting the shifter 3 ft. away from the driver?

SSs and ws6s look tons better. i honestly dont know how anyone besides an all out ford lover could think otherwise.

as far as powerplants go you'll never convince me ls1s cant equal or exceed what a blown mod motor can do if comparably modded. 03-04 cobras make big power cheaply but buying one will cost you more so you decide.

i wasnt impressed enough to want one but thats just me wtf do i know.

as far as TTOPS flying off ive had my SS for seven yrs. and havent had a problem. wheres this coming from that its a common occurence?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
Mach 1??

I've said it before, I'll say it again. If the 02 T/A came with the 03 Cobra motor as an option, I'd DEFINITELY take it!!

No doubt in my mind.... 03 cobra motor > LS1.

I freakin LOVE cars that come with forced induction from the factory. They're so cheap to mod!
huh?

how do you figure?

The LS1 isn't a worse motor, its just as good! Face it, the LS1 makes about 50hp less that the 03 cobra motor, but does so without forced induction, and with a simple cam swap can make just as much! The LS1 also weighs SIGNIFICANTLY less, is MUCH easier to work on, and are far less expensive to do major modificiations to!

As far as addressing the thread starter's question. I think the LS1 is a great engine, and the LS1 f-body is a great car. I've seen about an equal number of problems between my fbody as i have with my friend's GT. The LS1 is a very reliable engine, and can make great power for very little money!

I would also say that with a full exhaust setup, (stall on an auto), and a 100 shot of nitrous, you would tear apart most of the cobras you see!

Also don't forget that Cobra's are not without their own problems when modded. I know of many people who have significantly upped their boost throwing blower belts and doing a lot of damage.

Both cars are awesome for sure, but unless you're doing road racing, ditch the cobra, if for no other reason that the Independent Rear Suspension, and get an Fbody.

I'm pretty sure we get better gas mileage too!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, ttops flying off is NOT a common occurence. in two years i've seen about 2 threads made about it.

that pretty much defines it as an obscure problem...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust

How is it even possible for the T-tops to "fly off" when the lever is in the locked position on the car?? I don't see how thats a common problem, doesn't even make sense.

The only thing I could see is if the driver doesn't latch the lever all the way or it starts to open up from vibration, but then thats their own fault for not checking it.

Quick Reply: Should I get a an LS1 Trans Am? or Cobra???