General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Should I get a an LS1 Trans Am? or Cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trust
And yet you didnt know when you bought your car that it didnt come with an aluminum driveshaft? You thought it did.
yes, for the simple fact that when i had my old f-body, i got rid of my 2 piece steel driveshaft for a 1 piece aluminum from an automatic LS1. i didn't realize that 2.73's had steel and 3.23's had the aluminum. sorry for making that little tiny mistake, i'm glad you actually took the time to go through all my posts looking for an error til you finally found one just to make some tiny, insignificant point. i'm sure if i perused through all of yours i'd find many errors in your posts as well. lucky for you i actually have things to do.

the simple fact is, i know plenty more about f-bodies than the average f-body owner and no matter how much you know, there will always be something you don't know. when you know everything possible about an f-body, you'll have all the right in the world to correct my small little error. that is quite a pathetic "insult", if that word is even appropriate here. last time i checked, you are a member on ls1tech because you don't know EVERYTHING about f-bodies, nor do i. right?

you can quit picking a fight, all you're doing is taking this thread

besides, you were losing anyway
Old 06-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
How is it even possible for the T-tops to "fly off" when the lever is in the locked position on the car?? I don't see how thats a common problem, doesn't even make sense.

The only thing I could see is if the driver doesn't latch the lever all the way or it starts to open up from vibration, but then thats their own fault for not checking it.
for the simple fact that ANYTHING can happen and ANYTHING is possible. nearly all 12 of the people in the world that have actually experienced this problem is because they forgot to shut the handle. it's not a common occurrance, the poster only said that to try to sway the topic creator to buy a cobra. i'm sure for every t-top that has flew off an f-body, a bumper or a tire or a hoodhas fallen off a mustang. **** happens, it's unavoidable. common sense helps prevent most of these accidents.

Originally Posted by natronathon
yeah, ttops flying off is NOT a common occurence. in two years i've seen about 2 threads made about it.

that pretty much defines it as an obscure problem...
Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing from me, then I'm done. T/A's and Z28/SS's look a lot better, the Cobra looks to 'bulky' to me.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
for the simple fact that ANYTHING can happen and ANYTHING is possible. nearly all 12 of the people in the world that have actually experienced this problem is because they forgot to shut the handle. it's not a common occurrance, the poster only said that to try to sway the topic creator to buy a cobra. i'm sure for every t-top that has flew off an f-body, a bumper or a tire or a hoodhas fallen off a mustang. **** happens, it's unavoidable. common sense helps prevent most of these accidents.

I said this was my last post on this, but to clarify I wasn't referring to t-tops flying off.

I own a stripper 01 Z28 no t-tops, no options, nothing. I wanted a pure muscle car.

The roof is plastic glued to metal, the plastic top is literally coming off. The glue GM used is causing all the problems. First started "gassing" and bubbles appeared in the paint. I took the car to GM and the bastards said you're SOL buddy. Well now it's delaminating (sp) thin pieces are coming off!! Between that and the oil consumption, piston slap, and breaking the rear 2 times on the street....

The thread is a mile long in the appearance section about the "roof bubbles".

I still say, you will get a better car with the Cobra. Cobras have their problems, but F-bodies have way more right out of the box.

And a sincere apology to you ChocoTaco369 for talking trash there was a total communication break down on my part.

I honestly can't recommend an F-body over a Cobra.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
I said this was my last post on this, but to clarify I wasn't referring to t-tops flying off.

I own a stripper 01 Z28 no t-tops, no options, nothing. I wanted a pure muscle car.

The roof is plastic glued to metal, the plastic top is literally coming off. The glue GM used is causing all the problems. First started "gassing" and bubbles appeared in the paint. I took the car to GM and the bastards said you're SOL buddy. Well now it's delaminating (sp) thin pieces are coming off!! Between that and the oil consumption, piston slap, and breaking the rear 2 times on the street....

The thread is a mile long in the appearance section about the "roof bubbles".

I still say, you will get a better car with the Cobra. Cobras have their problems, but F-bodies have way more right out of the box.

And a sincere apology to you ChocoTaco369 for talking trash there was a total communication break down on my part.

I honestly can't recommend an F-body over a Cobra.

wow... i was unaware of that. I apologize as well.

BUT, i still have to disagree on the reccomendation of a cobra over an LS1. Our suspension is much better suited for a drag racing application. Also the old adage holds true, there is no replacement for displacement!
Old 06-07-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ls1's are great, make good power but not best.

Cobras make greater power but cost up front.

Ask yourself, are you going to buy a ls1 and spend all that money or take out a loan to get it to the power level of a cobra,

or... just take out a 7k bigger loan and just be done with it and every now and then save a few bucks and put 200$ in the cobra to make 450rwhp??

i owned a 2001 WS6, i loved it, but honestly i dumped 2,500 into the car and i was barely able to beat stock cobras.

you sound like a avarage guy that wants a hotrod for the weekend, and not to serious with makin the car a 10 second car.

so hands down COBRA!!!...even though i own a corvette....
Old 06-07-2006, 05:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Stock Cobra? Ehh, headers, lid, cutout should do it. ($700?)

Cobra guy spends $1000 more and now makes 450rwhp.

LS1 guy now adds a cam to make 390-400rwhp. (~$700)

Cobra guy spends ~$1000 on a ported blower and makes 500rwhp.

LS1 guy now puts on a 100 shot to make 470-480rwhp (~$700)

There you have it, that is usually how the mods go. Cobra with $2000 in mods and LS1 with $2100 in mods. Both cars run the same 1/4 times give or take 1-2 tenths.

Wanna make more power? Most Cobra owners upgrade the s/c to whipple/kenne bell, but they are limted to a reliable 575rwhp because of piston to wall clearances ($4500). To counter this, the LS1 owner can add heads (~$1000), but with nitrous 550rwhp seems to be the excepted limit.

You say some LS1 cars have piston slap? Well, some Cobras have the "tick" http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=289463 http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ad.php?t=21801 I guess the question is: do you want the slap or the tick Also according to this poll 33% have vibration issues at 80mph. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ight=vibration

LS1 oil consumption? Who cares if the car burns half a quart between each oil change?

The Cobras also have hood paint delamination problems on the composite hoods (chips where the paint starts to peel off) Ford has a TSB for this and may fix it if you're under warranty. If under warrenty, it's up to the dealer if it gets fixed.

As you can see, both cars have their problems and both can run the same 1/4 for about the same amount spent on mods. The real question is which can you better afford (cobra ~10k more) and which do you think looks better.

Last edited by mattkimsey; 06-07-2006 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I think the poster posted this to start arguments
Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00'WS6Rocket
I think the poster posted this to start arguments
Thats what I'm thinkin But it's a good read so far
Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

befor i got my ws6 i was looking at a few cobra's. then i drove my car and fell in love. the cobras are nice. i was dead set on getting one. an 03 or 04 will beat a stock ls1. just cause the supercharger. if you were to get a 02 and under a stock ls1 will beat it.

my ex boyfriend has a 98 cobra. has like 4,000 invested in mods and my car will still beat his stock. he's about to invest more money into his car and i told him to sell the car and get an ls1.

if you haven't driven one yet, do cause you might do the same as me, fall in love! whatever your decision you won't be dissapointed. they are both nice cars. just the better on is an ls1!!!

Last edited by 01transamws6; 06-07-2006 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

believe me if you do full exhaust (duals and LT's) you will be happy you had an LS1 for two reasons:

LS1's with full exhaust sound like old school muscle, cobras sound too smooth.

Try putting Long tube headers on a 4v cobra. Have fun. lol
Old 06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

get an auto LS1, cam and stalled will beat a cobra down the quarter. thats a TOPS of 2000. add exhaust and you can easily have an 11.9 second car. Many have done it. That should be a fairly modded cobra. Add heads and/or nitrous and cobras will cease to be a problem.

OR

find a cheap LS1 fbody, and swap in a LS7! then you can stomp cobras at will! lol
Old 06-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

your lookin at a trans am and a cobra i know, but i think you should consider a vette too you may like those better and you can get a good 98 low mileage for around 20,000 dollars. you may need a back seat i don't know but they are extremely comfortable and look way sexier than both of the cars you are looking at imo, and its also going to ride smoother. just a thought but it cant hurt to test one out.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

My girlfriend is maybe 5'3? And with raising the driver's seat she has no problems driving the car and actually wants a T/A now. My family are Ford people... my dad even owns part of a Dealership. After I've had My camaro for 4 or so years now... He bought himself an SS. He sold one of his mustangs and bought an SS. That should say something.

Now, Would I like an 03/04 Cobra? Sure. But I can't stand the interior at all, and the whining(coming from me).

An F-body is a great car for the Do it yourselfer. Most projects are fairly easy to do in a weekend. The Aftermarket is huge for these cars.

With all things being said. If I wasn't really into cars and was going to keep a car completely stock, I'd probably get the Cobra. But I'm into cars and I cant keep it stock. So F-body for me.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

being the business major that i am i have drawn up some calculations...

Stock vs Stock ($/hp)

LS1 Fbody 10k
340 hp (10000/340)
$29.41 per hp

Cobra 20k
400 hp (20000/400)
$50.00 per hp

Modded to 600hp (500rwhp) ($/hp)

LS1 Fbody (10k+7k(h/c/i/rear))
600 hp (17000/600)
$28.33 per hp

Cobra (20k+4k(blower upgrade))
600 hp (24000/600)
$40.00 per hp

you'll notice that your price per horse power is always less with the LS1 as compared to the Cobra. That being said, they are both nice cars, and both put out a lot of power, so things are bound to break on either car!

get the LS1. its the engine touched by god, unlike the cobra which is the engine touched by an eaton.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Carter Hays
Where did you actually get this information from? I had a 01 Mustang Gt, and know some guys who have had GTs/Cobras of all different model years. If you honestly think that Cobras don't have the same kind of stipid *** factory cheapo problems that fbodies do, you are sorely mistaken.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by natronathon
being the business major that i am i have drawn up some calculations...

Stock vs Stock ($/hp)

LS1 Fbody 10k
340 hp (10000/340)
$29.41 per hp

Cobra 20k
400 hp (20000/400)
$50.00 per hp

Modded to 600hp (500rwhp) ($/hp)

LS1 Fbody (10k+7k(h/c/i/rear))
600 hp (17000/600)
$28.33 per hp

Cobra (20k+4k(blower upgrade))
600 hp (24000/600)
$40.00 per hp

you'll notice that your price per horse power is always less with the LS1 as compared to the Cobra. That being said, they are both nice cars, and both put out a lot of power, so things are bound to break on either car!

get the LS1. its the engine touched by god, unlike the cobra which is the engine touched by an eaton.
I think you forgot the 8.8 or 9inch for the Cobra. That would be another $2500.

Also, the LS1 would be as fast/faster than a 500 rwhp Cobra with just a cam/headers/lid/50shot (car is a good 150-200lbs lighter) = <$2000. All things equal, the Cobra will need bolt-ons and a ported blower to keep up (~$1500-$2000). So the difference is still $10,000. I'd invest the 10k in something besides a car.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ws6jesse,
I'd say get an LS1 Trans Am! You'll get used to the long dash in no time.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01transamws6
if you were to get a 02 and under a stock ls1 will beat it.
Actually, a stock '99/01 Cobra M5 (they didn't make the Cobra in '00 or '02) is a driver's race for a stock LS1 f-body A4.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Teching In

I've driven my girlfriends brothers 03 GT and I didn't really like it. Felt kinda sloppy IMO. no experience at all with a trans am, but I'd say go with the trans am. though I am a Ford guy myself.

Quick Reply: Should I get a an LS1 Trans Am? or Cobra???