General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Keep Formula for now, or buy a bike and get out of debt?
Keep the formula
62.30%
Buy bike/get out of debt
37.70%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Formula or Gsx-r & no debt

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poll: Formula or Gsx-r & no debt

Ok, I have a slight issue and I would like opinions. Next spring semester I will be starting school @ Embry Riddle. This will not allow me to keep my 99 formula due to fiances, but I could have a bike and I will also have my other current daily driver. My car has 94,xxx on the clock, and by the end of the year even more. It also has some cosmetic damage on it(needs front bumper and driver side door hinges need replacing) that totals atleast $1500 but more like $1600-1800. My friend has offered to buy the car for $7500. Should I sell the car, buy a bike, and get out of debt, or should I keep the car and try selling it @ the end of the year or so. I am very indecisive, I know its my decision and I'm leaning towards the bike and getting out of debt to prepare for school, but I am just looking for some opinions on what you would do. I do love my car, but Ive wanted a bike for a while as well and unfortunantly I cant have the best of both worlds.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Might as well sell it now and get as much as you can for it.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Launching!

I have an 04 gsxr 1000 and a 02 trans am and let me tell you the bike is frickin sweet! Though i will never sell the T/A! Given your situtation i'd say if you have a way to get around when its raining or during bad weather other than the bike then sell the car and get the bike.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

formula
Old 06-20-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Formula, although I'm kind of bias.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

screw the bike, keep the poncho
Old 06-20-2006, 05:38 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

This is probably going to lean towards keeping the 'bird since we're in the Pontiac Firebird Forum
Old 06-21-2006, 07:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
This is probably going to lean towards keeping the 'bird since we're in the Pontiac Firebird Forum
hehe, I figured it would have. I know it wont be mine if I sell it, but I will be seeing it all the time(which might be worse) since its my good friend who would be buying it.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:07 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by leftme4dead
hehe, I figured it would have. I know it wont be mine if I sell it, but I will be seeing it all the time(which might be worse) since its my good friend who would be buying it.
Yeah, that might not work out well.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

No offense meant by this, but you already said that you're going to have to get rid of it. If you know that you're going to have to sell it, why put more miles on it and lower the value even more?

I know you probably dont want to get rid of it, but you have to do what makes the most sense. I would say dump it now, get out of debt, then buy another one once you get out of school and start making some real cash.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

go for the bike. its better on gas and you can find a fast bike for around 5-6 grand. not to mention, if you think the women like the f-bodys, roll up next to campus on a gsx-r and see how their heads turn. i voted bike.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Launching!

you know what bikes are way cool but do a pros and cons list. i would sell everything and while you are in school, have one daily driver. the bike is good on gas and cool but how cool do you look sitting in the back seat of a cop car for doing something stupid which we all said we wouldn't do, but as our ***** out grew our common sense, we all did. bikes are expensive as far as medical bills and legal problems. trans ams are expensive as far as gas and legal problems. get used to the rear tire not lasting anywhere near as long as the ones do on your f body. a rear tire on a bike generally lasts 1500 miles and at 180 to 250 a pop that adds up quick. also the front tire usually lasts 3000 miles and at 150 to 180 per tire that also adds up. my bike got stolen while before i started the second half of my degree and as much of a bummer as it was that i wasn't looking all that cool riding up to school, it was nice not having the payment. don't bog yourself down with the payments. keep the daily driver you already have get rid of everything else and tough it out for a while. once you are out you can always get another bike or ta or both.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

i want to get rid of my bike and get a TA.. it just suck when u got cars in your area putting Greyhounds on your bike
Old 06-22-2006, 07:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rocketrider93
you know what bikes are way cool but do a pros and cons list. i would sell everything and while you are in school, have one daily driver. the bike is good on gas and cool but how cool do you look sitting in the back seat of a cop car for doing something stupid which we all said we wouldn't do, but as our ***** out grew our common sense, we all did. bikes are expensive as far as medical bills and legal problems. trans ams are expensive as far as gas and legal problems. get used to the rear tire not lasting anywhere near as long as the ones do on your f body. a rear tire on a bike generally lasts 1500 miles and at 180 to 250 a pop that adds up quick. also the front tire usually lasts 3000 miles and at 150 to 180 per tire that also adds up. my bike got stolen while before i started the second half of my degree and as much of a bummer as it was that i wasn't looking all that cool riding up to school, it was nice not having the payment. don't bog yourself down with the payments. keep the daily driver you already have get rid of everything else and tough it out for a while. once you are out you can always get another bike or ta or both.
I wont argue too too much, although I will not have a payment as the bike will be paid off, other than insurance . In a year in a half though that will drop about 75%.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wont argue too too much, although I will not have a payment as the bike will be paid off, other than insurance . In a year in a half though that will drop about 75%.
We have that here in AZ too. "Ok well if you lived more than a year on the bike, you must be a safe rider, so we guess we'll lower your insurance..." Silly. Dude it's all up to you. A car is sweet. Nothing beats the crazy adrenaline pumping feeiling of sheer speed with nothing around you though.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Go get the bike, they are so much fun, especially since you already have a dd
Old 06-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Launching!

i understand you wouldn't have a payment on the bike and i may sound like an old fart even though i am only 27, but you have a long time to amass toys. sell the ta, drive the dd till you are finished with school, possibly use the money for books and other schooling expenses. once you are out of school and figure out what it is you want, then you can go after it whole hog with minimal chains around your neck. also speaking as an insurance agent, you might be able to find a company who will use motorcycle experience as a rating factor including dirt bike. i know farmers in california will take that into consideration. i just got a quote from them cause my company doesn't even write motorcycles anymore.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
We have that here in AZ too. "Ok well if you lived more than a year on the bike, you must be a safe rider, so we guess we'll lower your insurance..." Silly. Dude it's all up to you. A car is sweet. Nothing beats the crazy adrenaline pumping feeiling of sheer speed with nothing around you though.
hehe, no I dont think we have that here in florida. My insurance will be dropping because I will turn 25. I guess 25 is when things really go down for insurance, atleast in fla it does.
Originally Posted by rocketrider93
i understand you wouldn't have a payment on the bike and i may sound like an old fart even though i am only 27, but you have a long time to amass toys. sell the ta, drive the dd till you are finished with school, possibly use the money for books and other schooling expenses. once you are out of school and figure out what it is you want, then you can go after it whole hog with minimal chains around your neck. also speaking as an insurance agent, you might be able to find a company who will use motorcycle experience as a rating factor including dirt bike. i know farmers in california will take that into consideration. i just got a quote from them cause my company doesn't even write motorcycles anymore.
I totally understand where you are coming from and agree to a certain extent. I would think I would be so lost without atleast one little fun toy though. Although, I do know what it is I will be doing in after college. I have everything planned out. While im in college I will have my family helping out some. I would put that money into tuition or books or what not, but even with the military helping out im going to have to take out a good amount of loans, so ill just leave it at that and use this money for fun. I think I would go crazy if I knew I didnt have anything fast to come home to.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Launching!

think about it as an investment in your future. also give your self a goal and make the motorcycle a graduation present. (can't have it till you graduate though or it doesn't work.) i thought i would die when my bike got stollen a while ago but i lived through it and spent more time on my studies. after i graduated i am glad i had very few restrictions and debts and as soon as i decide what i want i will get it but i am not in a hurry other than to fix up the 1970 bird in the back yard that i have had since high school.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in Orlando as well and I have a the T/a and a 05 636 I can tell in in FL having just the bike sucks. I bought mine new and they drop in value like rocks. They are fun and cheap to operate but its not practical in the rain down here trust me man buy a cheap truck.....