General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ne1 get embaressed when...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006 | 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I know what you mean. After I got the trex installed I quit going through the drive through all together
Did I mention that I love doing that?
Old 07-09-2006 | 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Sometimes that helps with the sewing machine sound.
I wouldn't really call the sewing machine sound a "tick". That's just a normal valvetrain sound for a high performance OHV V8 motor. It becomes even more noticeable when you do an aftermarket cam and springs. The only time you should really hear this noise is under acceleration/load, or slightly when revving the motor. If the motor is still stock, it should be basically quiet at idle though.

If that's the noise you guys are hearing, I don't see the big deal? I'd hardly call that a tick. It's not really that loud at all on the LS1s I've owned. To me, a tick is the sort of sound you get from a bent pushrod/bent valve, or a serious header leak. If that's the sound you're hearing then something is wrong somewhere.

Granted, LS1s are not the quietest motor ever designed, but that was not the goal for this engine. Performance was. How many factory stock N/A OHV V8 motors in a 5.7L size make the kind of power LS1s do? You can't expect all that plus a dead silent valvetrain, IMO. At least not in this price range.
Old 07-09-2006 | 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for some reason my car likes to eat up idler pulleys....dont know why but thats the annoying sound i hate....the slight squeal of the pulley
Old 07-09-2006 | 11:04 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DD966
Mine's worth a lot more than that
so what's it like having the first solid gold f-body? pretty heavy huh? must be slow
Old 07-09-2006 | 11:20 AM
On The Tree

yeah mine tick's too, but due to a bent rod or valve. i do drive it sometimes, it is embaressing, long tubes & ory is like an amp for it, i got a remedy, ls6 heads and chrommolly push rods, just need a bolt kit and gaskets, and time...and smaller hands
Old 07-09-2006 | 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

I know exactly what you guys are saying. lol There's an overpass I love driving under and revving up a little, because it echos like crazy and sounds ungodly. This same overpass also has a redlight, and when you have to stop there, you can also hear the tick tick tick, but not too noticable. but if you're listening for it... yea. I feel everyone's pain

Jeremy
Old 07-09-2006 | 01:04 PM
Teching In

yeah I think the ticking is normal unfortunatly just one of those things i'll have to learn to live with. The engine runs good and strong I guess I just get a lil paranoid with noises like that. My buddy had a 02 ws6 and his had the tick since he bought it new. I bought my car about 2yrs ago from a chevy dealership, 6days after I bought it the engine blew, spun a bearing I think. No warranty so the dealership told me I was sol. So I had to refinance the car to get the money to get a used engine. I put a new ls6 ported oil pump in before I put the engine in the car. I put nothing but the top syn. oil in it. I've used m1 0w40,amsoil 5w40 euro, castol syntec 5w40, got syntec 5w50 in it now. I change the oil between 2-3k miles cause I'm so paranoid about the thing blowing up. It's my dd and I drive 100 miles round trip each day to work mon. thru fri. So I need this thing 2 last. I love the car i'm just always paranoid about it blowing up again.
Old 07-09-2006 | 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

My car's so loud I won't even take it to a drive through anymore. If it ticks, I sure as hell can't hear it.
Old 07-09-2006 | 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

My sounds like a freakin Singer brand sewing machine. Its so loud that i when i have the windows down i can hear it echoing off the curbs as a i drive . Oh well, its because of the dual springs and CRAZY lift on the cam. oh well, someone could make fun of it, as im speeding away....
Old 07-09-2006 | 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have z06 springs with my comp cam and its pretty loud. definately sounds like a sewing machine. sometimes i hate it, other times i love it. as far as drive throughs go, its pretty funny with the td's. you can hear the frustration in the people voice trying to figure out what in the hell you jsut said. there is this one lady that works at hardees though that knows me by the sound of my car at the drive up speaker. she always flirts with me when i pull up to the window and ask me when im going to take her for a ride. i always think to myself "maybe if you were hot, not 45, and not married i would think about it. lol.
Old 07-12-2006 | 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*noob question alert*

i get the same ticking as mentioned in the first post when i go through the drive through as well.....someone want to explain what that is and if its bad or if its just normal for f-bodys?
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I wouldn't really call the sewing machine sound a "tick". That's just a normal valvetrain sound for a high performance OHV V8 motor. It becomes even more noticeable when you do an aftermarket cam and springs. The only time you should really hear this noise is under acceleration/load, or slightly when revving the motor. If the motor is still stock, it should be basically quiet at idle though.

If that's the noise you guys are hearing, I don't see the big deal? I'd hardly call that a tick. It's not really that loud at all on the LS1s I've owned. To me, a tick is the sort of sound you get from a bent pushrod/bent valve, or a serious header leak. If that's the sound you're hearing then something is wrong somewhere.

Granted, LS1s are not the quietest motor ever designed, but that was not the goal for this engine. Performance was. How many factory stock N/A OHV V8 motors in a 5.7L size make the kind of power LS1s do? You can't expect all that plus a dead silent valvetrain, IMO. At least not in this price range.
I agree...who wants a quiet engine anyways ?? My exhaust with the cutout open drowns out any ticking/sewing machine/valvetrain noise ..
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by NxLS1496
*noob question alert*

i get the same ticking as mentioned in the first post when i go through the drive through as well.....someone want to explain what that is and if its bad or if its just normal for f-bodys?
It is just normal valvetrain noise unless you have a real loud ticking..
Old 07-12-2006 | 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
so what's it like having the first solid gold f-body? pretty heavy huh? must be slow
The car's not slow, just the driver. My point is... I'm NEVER embarassed to drive this car.
Old 07-12-2006 | 06:18 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I hate when my brakes squeel, or my wheel bearing crunches lol..
Old 07-12-2006 | 07:14 PM
Launching!

My brakes squeek a little when I stop at low speeds too

But no ticking or sewing maching noise...

Might change when the cam swap get done though
Old 07-12-2006 | 07:34 PM
Banned

Wink

My LS1 used to tick after the engine got hot. It turned out the 5w30 Mobil oil was like water after you get it really hot. It has to do with the lifters. I changed to 20w50 and the tick is gone!

No ****, change your oil to 20w50 and I'm willing to bet you that your LS1 will tick at least 2/3rds quieter if it doesn't go away completely. ~Joshua
Old 07-12-2006 | 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_knight
Nope. Can't hear anything like that over the duals. Just,

Yeah, I'd like a triple cheeseburger!!!

What????

I'D LIKE A TRIPLE CHEESEBURGER!!!

WHAT!?!?

<turns off engine>

I'd like a triple cheeseburger.

Okay, drive through

Same Here, Loved it At First, now i love it even more, cause i decided it is way more fun to see a car pulling up behind me as i'm ordering, then watching them jump when starting it back up
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
My LS1 used to tick after the engine got hot. It turned out the 5w30 Mobil oil was like water after you get it really hot. It has to do with the lifters. I changed to 20w50 and the tick is gone!

No ****, change your oil to 20w50 and I'm willing to bet you that your LS1 will tick at least 2/3rds quieter if it doesn't go away completely. ~Joshua
I have been using 10w30 for awhile rather than 5w..engine is quieter for sure...better pressure also...might try some 20w50 weight next...... always hated thin oil anyway...
Old 07-12-2006 | 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mad618
going through the drive up at a fast food place and hear the notorious ls1 tick tick tick echoing off the side of the building?
Nope.

I have to go inside because my power window won't go down.