General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Speeding Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006 | 07:30 PM
Launching!

Default Speeding Tickets

Well, today my friend got a speeding ticket. 44 in a 30. The ticket says he wa clocked with a laser. He recently took his truck in to get an oil change and after they were done his spedometer didn't work. I'm not sure what's wrong and he is currently trying to figure out the problem. Does anybody have any tips on a way to fight this? It's his second ticket and his insurance is getting pretty high. I don't see any way to get off on this except possibly talking with the county prosecuter and making a deal to pay the ticket and court costs but not let the ticket go on his record. I have heard of that working before but he is 17 so I'm not sure how that would go. Any other recomendations? Sorry for the long post, I thought I should give as many details as possible.

CLIFFS NOTES:
friend got ticket, 44 in a 30. needs to get off. any tips?
Old 07-17-2006 | 07:32 PM
Teching In

He was speeding. Stop trying to get out of it. Tell your 17yr old buddy to take responsibility for his actions.

Will
Old 07-17-2006 | 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Or...

He could go to court and try and proove to them that his speedo is broken. Have him explain to the judge or County prosecutor that he understands he was speeding and will pay his fine but would like to keep the ticket off his record for insurance reasons. Tell your friend to ask the judge if he can take defensive driving as a way to keep it off his record. Hope that helped.
Old 07-17-2006 | 09:55 PM
Teching In

There always is a joker in the crowd. He asked for help he doesn't want to hear you say SLOW DOWN. Check with a lawyer won't hurt and it won't cost that much.
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98LS1_13.20
He was speeding. Stop trying to get out of it. Tell your 17yr old buddy to take responsibility for his actions.

Will
Ehh...

Everyone speeds. Most speeding tickets are a joke. It's seldom about safety, and mostly just a revenue game. In northern IL we still have the stupid 55mph limits on the highway. Guess what... NOBODY obeys that, not even the State Troopers. Only time you see cars going slower than 70mph is in heavy traffic.
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:13 PM
Teching In

So what you're saying is that he needs to NOT take responsibility for his actions at age 17?

Charles
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:31 PM
Banned

Will
Speed enforcement is about making money, not safety. Hiding in the woods with a radar gun doesn't keep anyone safe at all. In fact, it makes an accident more likely, because people freak when they see the cop and slam on their brakes.

Looks like you got banned, take responsibility for your stupid and ignorant posts
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:37 PM
Bad Seller Warning!

just get a lawyer they can take verything away... for about $300
Old 07-17-2006 | 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

14 over and you got a ticket? isnt there an innocent woman being battered every 2 minutes????? O WAIT THOSE WOMEN DONT PAY MONEY, i would rather pay a lawyer anyday than pay for those that protect and serve those kinds of rediculous tickets. and btw 14 overs i heard dont go on your insurance
Old 07-18-2006 | 01:15 AM
Launching!

If he said something about the broken speedo, then he can take the car to have it fixed, have them write a letter stating that they corrected it and that it wasn't working when the vehicle was brought in, then go to court and you'll at least have the points dropped. Any way you look at it, always go to court, they'll almost always work something for you. Then tell him to buy a detector/deflector!
Old 07-18-2006 | 07:05 AM
TECH Resident

Will
Everyone speeds, it's just a matter of getting caught.

I suggest going to a shop to get the speedo fixed, and have them write a letter stating that it was broken when you brought it in and that it's working fine now.
Old 07-18-2006 | 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

a ticket is a ticket - no matter if its 5 over or 50 over the speed limit. when i got mine, i was dinged for 19 over (64 in a 45). the cop actually dropped it from a wreckless to just under a wreckless for me, since he clocked me at 70. but nevertheless, the ticket hurt my insurance.

not sure wut the wreckless limit is in ur state, but, it almost sounds to me like the cop was doing ur friend a favor and dropping it right below the wreckless limit. i think most states have their limit set at 15 over, with the exception of a few states.

"14 over and you got a ticket? isnt there an innocent woman being battered every 2 minutes????? O WAIT THOSE WOMEN DONT PAY MONEY, i would rather pay a lawyer anyday than pay for those that protect and serve those kinds of rediculous tickets. and btw 14 overs i heard dont go on your insurance"
right, an the cops simply ignore the screams of those innocent women so they can pull people over for speeding...makes sense
Old 07-18-2006 | 08:16 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Domestic Demon
Speed enforcement is about making money, not safety. Hiding in the woods with a radar gun doesn't keep anyone safe at all. In fact, it makes an accident more likely, because people freak when they see the cop and slam on their brakes.

Looks like you got banned, take responsibility for your stupid and ignorant posts
this is true, it's a money game. the most dangerous people on the road are the people going under the speed limit. then everyone has to swerve around them. that's when things get dangerous. if everyone just drove along and paid attention, things would be soooo much safer. i find myself paying much better attention when speeding, don't you?

if you're going 40 or 70, if one person is screwing off or clogging the arteries, things get just as dangerous.

i'm not sure if you should state the broken speedometer or not. it may get you into more trouble and they could claim you shouldn't be on the road at all. it's iffy. good luck
Old 07-18-2006 | 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

WIN!

I got a ticket in a speed trap and even though I had to pay the ticket they had to adjust the speed. A win for the good guys.

Story: I got a speeding ticket when going the speed of traffic. I was clocked at 73 in a 55. The thing is traffic always goes 70 or more on average and to got 55 would be increasing risk. The cops know this place and routinely use it as a fund raiser to get money from speeding tickets.

Well I fought it in a Kanagaroo court but apparently they understood that since they never did a 85% from a traffic analysis that they were wrong. Going down the same stretch where the speed is 55 mph and a known trap thew speed has now been adjusted to 70 mph.
Old 07-18-2006 | 08:54 AM
Teching In

goddamn. kid didn't come in here looking for a lecture for his friend's actions.... enough already.

call a lawyer and get it fixed. I wouldn't even mess with trying to fight this and fight that and take the chance that the judge says tough **** and his insurance gets hit again.
Old 07-18-2006 | 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

as someone said earlier, ALWAYS go to court over it. I've been to court my fair share of times, and here in PA, you almost always get a traffic violation knocked down just for taking the time to show up. Once, I got a 67 in a 45 and when i went to court, i didnt even have to say anything. Looked at the magestrate and she said "Did you know it was 45 there?" i said "no" and she said "well now you do. just slow down from now on." She dropped the ticket to a 5 over and no points - we get points on our Drivers licence - once you get so many you have to take a test or loose ur license.
Also, you run the chance of the officer not showing up. More often than not, if he doesnt show up, you get off scott free (atleast its like that here)

I've gotten out of 4 of my 5 tickets either not guilty or wiht a major reduction
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
Also, you run the chance of the officer not showing up. More often than not, if he doesnt show up, you get off scott free (atleast its like that here)
That has NEVER happened for me...Everytime I've been called in, the cop always shows up...I'm starting to think that "cop won't show up" thing is just a vicious internet lie
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would talk to the judge, give him the shops information, they should vouch for them, tell them the shop willg get it fixed asap, get it fixed, inspected, and done with. I had a friend with a simillar thing happen on his 4X4 when he made a huge tire/gear change and the shop had the part on order, he had the shop fax him the invoice for the part and he showed the DA or whatever and got out of it.
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:51 AM
Teching In

tickets suck but really the only way to be sure to avoid points is to get a lawyer, i have a 74 in a 60 right now that i have to fix... it sucks. tell your buddy good luck.
Old 07-18-2006 | 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
That has NEVER happened for me...Everytime I've been called in, the cop always shows up...I'm starting to think that "cop won't show up" thing is just a vicious internet lie

Nope. But it does not happen all the time either.

My second to last ticket was for wreckless driving and the cop was a no show and it was dismissed. WIN #2.