General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Apartment renters: how do you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Apartment renters: how do you do it?

I'm looking for a place to live, but I refuse to let my car sit outside unprotected. As such, I've been looking for a house with a garage. That's taking a while because I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and I'm juggling a few requirements. The long and short of this is how do you guys in apartments do it? Do you just leave your car outside and hope for the best? Wash it every other day and keep .22 on the balcony for curious animals or prying eyes? I'd really like to hear how you do it.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've lived in an apartment for a while now, and the best advice i can give you is try not to think about it!

it sucks since the only way i have to wash my car is to take it to one of those 'you do the work' car washes... needless to say it doesn't get washed nearly as often as it should.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Default Apartment renters: how do you do it?

I'm looking for a place to live, but I refuse to let my car sit outside unprotected. As such, I've been looking for a house with a garage. That's taking a while because I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and I'm juggling a few requirements. The long and short of this is how do you guys in apartments do it? Do you just leave your car outside and hope for the best? Wash it every other day and keep a .22 on the balcony for curious animals or prying eyes? I'd really like to hear how you care for your car without a garage while sharing space with several other people.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

They have apartments with covered parking, but that is about as good as it gets. That is why I live in a house, and refuse to live anywhere with a garage for my car...
I would say keep looking for a house. At least buying a house is an investment, living in an apartment is just shitting your money away.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jpat1023
They have apartments with covered parking, but that is about as good as it gets. That is why I live in a house, and refuse to live anywhere with a garage for my car...
I would say keep looking for a house. At least buying a house is an investment, living in an apartment is just shitting your money away.
Werd,

I live in a pent house/condo we have places to park and a car port. *fits a car and extra TP it's tiny lol.

my g/f pays for the place so her project car goes in there. both of mine are in the lot with her daily.

my motorcylce lives at my dads whos 20 mins away.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nobody parks next to me. I park out in "visitor parking", where there is no other cars but still close enough to my building. My advice is park WAY out. I do the same thing at work. As for the weather, just have to take it. Sun, Rain, whatever. I know soon enough I'll have a garage, but for the last 1 1/2 years, it's been out in the snow, rain and sun. If you upkeep the washing and detailing, it will still look real good. Sounds like you're going to have to bite a bullet one way or another. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

id rather have a garage i dun care what you guys say i couldnt stand to have my car on the street to many ******** out there that dont care about other poeoples property

-seth
Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

My protection... yep it's mine
Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

full auto or is the spring removed??? if you dont mind me asking...sorry to thread jack haha +1 for owning a gun baby it makes a world of difference
Old 07-26-2006, 03:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I cover mines.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

When I was in an appartment the first had a garage, and the 2nd I opted for the 20 bucks a month more for covered parking. I never had any trouble. And I was suprised to find that the car port cover keeps the morning dew from forming on the car that would otherwise happen if parked out in the open. (The dew was my biggest fear since I would wipe it down every morning if the dew was on it.)
Old 07-26-2006, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Some apartments I've seen around here have garages you can rent for an extra fee.

Personally, I agree with getting a house of some sort. If you don't have the money/credit to buy yet, than just rent one till you do.

I couldn't live without some kind of garage....
Old 07-26-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sucks *****!!!!

At my apartment there is two parallel parking spots near my door, so I always park there and don't have to worry about dings. My apartment is pretty nice, good neighborhood, no punk *** kids, no ghettorific people, no thugs. I feel 100% fine about it not getting broken into or vandalized.

The worst thing is that the water hose, aka car wash, broke the first month I moved in. The pipe broke underground and its next to a huge tree, so they're not going to fix it because the tree roots would screw it up again. So now I have to drive over to my friend's house to wash the car. Kind of annoying, and it doesn't get washed as often as it should.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, my problem has been trying to find a house with all the things I need. I know buying a house is a compromise, but it seems I can't find that perfect balance of garage (MUST), location (not too far from work), traffic (not running into it), condition and price. I don't want to leave my car outside and I'm trying to get into a house so that I can put left over $$ into a daily so I don't have to keep driving it downtown. I've been looking since November. I guess I just need to keep looking. I've already been approved and everything. I just need to find the right one. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

mine sits on the street, no damage has ever occured to it or any of my other cars in the 3 years i have lived here
Old 07-26-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I'll be moving down to Orlando for a couple years for school in about a year. I haven't gone down to check out housing, but it will more than likely end up being an apartment without a garage. I think I'm going to invest in a car cover of some sort to protect it from the elements. But on the other hand, the cover is just begging for theives to come snag it.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, the damage I'm most worried about is incidental/inconsiderate people. I've gotten a few chips and scratches in my paint this way (mostly inconsiderate a$$holes). I'd really like to be able to leave the car in a garage at home and know that it will be untouched until I return. I just need to find the right one.