General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

sick of the car spending

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sick of the car spending

Ever just get tired of the addiction? I decided to part my car out today. After spending 2 years and almost 24k to build it. I have now looked back on it all and really enjoyed building the car. Once it was done....I lost interest. Maybe I am the mechanic and not the driver. Dont know Something tells me I may regret this when it is all said and done. The $$ spent now mean nothing. Was it for personal satisfaction? Showing up others? Grew out of it? Anyone else felt this way about the car hobby?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Good luck parting her out.....Tough decision to make. Heaven knows i couldn't do it.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know what your saying. All the money that is sunk into a car really doesnt give a return when you go to sell it which is a downfall. For me, its just a hobby and a love for cars. Ive always loved working on them and making them different than others. My feelings are a little different though. In the end when it comes time to sell, I will probably do the same to the next. Yea its money spent that you wont get back, but at least you can say you enjoyed it while it lasted.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Happing to me now with my Honda, I loved building it and tormenting all the beat up 305 kids who think a 4 can't be fast.

Now its almost fast it's boring

I probbly will feel that way with the camaro down line, I just like building them but its such a loss $$ wise.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Man, I'm experiencing the EXACT same thing with my '69. Funny thing is I spent 13 months and about 3 months of 8 hour days working on it to get it done then once it was done it was really anti-climatic. I'm not the sort that wants everyone to look at my car and say "look what he's got". I just wanted a '69 Camaro, bought it and restored it the way I wanted. I don't even really enjoy working on cars, I just do it because it's something I have to do.

My race car on the other hand... I'm not going to get tired of it. I'm young and dumb, I want speed.

But yes, I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Teching In

my problem stemmed from the fact that with what I want a car to do....i should have gotten a C5. I have owned a n f body from every generation except the ls1. Have built 8 of them from the ground up. Same result....I think alcohalics deal with the same issues. lol. I have come to accept that when I want speed I get on my bike. when I want to spend money...I open my garage.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by alanr
Ever just get tired of the addiction? I decided to part my car out today. After spending 2 years and almost 24k to build it. I have now looked back on it all and really enjoyed building the car. Once it was done....I lost interest. Maybe I am the mechanic and not the driver. Dont know Something tells me I may regret this when it is all said and done. The $$ spent now mean nothing. Was it for personal satisfaction? Showing up others? Grew out of it? Anyone else felt this way about the car hobby?
NOPE.....
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

It takes ALOT but somehow I manage to not spend all my money on my car b/c the same thing happens to me. Ive owned an eclipse, 3000GT VR4, 2 LS1 T/A's, and now have a LS1 Camaro. When I get what I want out of the car I part it and sell it. Usually I dont loose too much money but as long as I have fun doing it and dont loose ALL my money I look at it as money well spent.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

sounds like you just enjoy personalizing cars and modifying them. It's a hobby, and an addiction. Thousands of us have this addiction, but I think it is rewarding when you are cruising around in your hotrod knowing that you modified it the way you like. When you start to part out or sell a car, that just means you are bored with that particular car. Probably have your eyes and desires on something else to play with.

Tony
Old 08-12-2006, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had a friend go through the same thing u are and he was all tired of dumping money in to it and he wanted to work on making a career instead of building a car, i told him he would regret it, finally he came around and decided to go turbo on his TA and now hes all gitty driving his car cause he goes around blowing off at the local mustang and vette owners and loves doing it and watching there faces as they try to figure out what the hell just happened, i like the feeling when u build something like a car the way u want it and its making some good numbers u can sit back and say i built that, and u only have one life to live so enjoy it now.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mainly its when you havnt got enough power..
Old 08-14-2006, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

The idea is to treat it like any hobby and dont go overboard. I think the most fun for me is working on the car and in the end saying that I built it myself. I have long been an import guy and am now going through a LS1/RX7 swap and its alot of work and money but I plan on keeping my car for a long time. I find myself migrating more and more to building a classic car. My GF is in love with late 60's mustangs and camaro's and I think that once we are settled in our own home Im going to build one from the chassis up. Might take 5 years but its fun to tool on them and see the progress. And, you really cant go wrong building a classic car because they actually gain value and are a solid investment. Just look at it this way, you could have a gambling addiction and be wasting hundreds/thousands of dollars and have NOTHING to show for it, same for drugs... atleast we have a worthwile hobby.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:06 PM

Started calling my car the money pit.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am at odds, b/c I havent seen my car since Sept 5th of last year. coming up on a 1 year anniversary of being out of my hands. so now I say I would like to get rid of it. but I know once I get it back you will have to pry me out of it.haha
Old 08-15-2006, 03:05 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make yourself feel better, go check out your neighbors $25,000 bass-boat he takes to the lake 2 times a year.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Veteran

well 1st dont modify your daily driver bc you will get tired of it!!! get an old piece of crap ricer that gets maybe 40MPG and is slower than Xmas so that when you do get in your car it is a treat for you and you enjoy it, thats what i do and i cant get enough of it i drive my car maybe 3 times a month but those 3 times are the best i take the t-tops off and listen to the true duals sing, man yall need to try that it has worked for me and i can't get enough of my 99 TA
Old 08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Good point. ^^^

I drive a 92 saturn SOHC 5-speed every single day, and the Z feels like a rocket when I get behind the wheel after driving that piece of crap lol.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

93 corolla 1.6 litre here LOL i have to turn the ac off to make it up a hill
Old 08-15-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

2k1 lincoln town car for a DD here