General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is my Ta down on power ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
sounds like bent pushrods! GM Stock pushrods suck!
It's possibile, but unlikely with an auto trans car at the stock rev limiter. I'd bet lazy O2 sensors before bent P-rods, especially since I don't think anything was mentioned about hearing an abnormal ticking from the valvetrain.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys !!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Any chance that the O2 sensors on the '98 might be getting lazy? Or perhaps an exhaust leak forward of the front O2s? Any introduction of outside air pre-O2 sensor will cause false readings and poor A/F ratio.
actually the 99 has lazy O2's but what does that matter. At WOT the Power Enrichment is enabled. I thought that the O2's are only referenced while cruising not WOT. My O2s on the scanner @ WOT read anywhere from 870 to 940 mv.

Originally Posted by Shinerbock07
sounds like bent pushrods! GM Stock pushrods suck!
Bent pushrods ??? No, I'd hear that, and if that were the case I would not have made the post and would have fixed it already. There would be a lot of rocker noise if there was a bent push rod.

Last edited by LittleSlow1; 08-18-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleSlow1
actually the 99 has lazy O2's but what does that matter. At WOT the Power Enrichment is enabled. I thought that the O2's are only referenced while cruising not WOT. My O2s on the scanner @ WOT read anywhere from 870 to 940 mv.
It's been a couple years since I've done any LS1 tuning, but if I remember correctly, it works like this:

Anything that contributes to a lean A/F at cruise (such as a vacuum leak or a pre O2 sensor exhaust leak) will cause your LTFTs (long term fuel trims) to go positive (add fuel). If your LTFTs are positive (LTFT range is -25% to +25%) just prior to going WOT, then they will lock at that percentage, thus adding more fuel than just the PE table normally would, thereby causing you to run overly rich at WOT. This is why a good tuner will always try to get the LTFTs to 0% (or slightly negative) at cruise. If the LTFT is 0% or a negative value at cruise, then it will lock at 0% at WOT and not effect your proper WOT fueling.

Do you have a scanner to log data with? That would really help.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LittleSlow1
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys !!

Bent pushrods ??? No, I'd hear that, and if that were the case I would not have made the post and would have fixed it already. There would be a lot of rocker noise if there was a bent push rod.
un true. I had several slightly bent pushrods and never noticed. They dont have to be EXTREMELY bent for you to lose power. Even the slightest bend could cause some loss of power.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Do you have a scanner to log data with? That would really help.
Yes I have HP Tuners. I'm going to the Track Tomorrow so I can post the logs then, if you're interested.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Finally got 12s guys, thanks for the suggestions. I found a lean spot during the runs. I gave it some more fuel and I'm sure the cool weather helped it out too. The car went 12.95 @ 103mph. I still think the mph is kinda low, but hopefully I'll get the exhaust cut out welded on soon.