General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is my Ta down on power ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my Ta down on power ??

I origianlly posted this somewhere else but some dude whined like a little girl saying it was in the wrong section. Seems like some people on here cry about every little thing. Sorry just had to vent.

I have a 1998 Trans Am. The only mods that I have done to it is : lid, TCI 3600 stall converter (i think i'm only getting 3300 out of it), Pace Setter full lengths, and an off road Y-Pipe. I am still using the stock cat-back and muffler, and the stock 3.23 gear is still in the rearend. The car has a new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. The engine is bone stock, valve covers have never been off. The car weighs 3690 The car runs 13.20s @ 102mph w/ a 1.85 60 foot on a 26x10-16 ET street. I have 28 degrees timing in it (I have HP Tuners and I am learning it as i go) . The car hasn't been tuned on the dyno with a wide band yet, but i think it may need to.

My friend has a 99 Z-28, hooker full lenghts, off-road Y-Pipe, stock cat-back but it has a flowmaster on it, lid, same converter as me, and stock 2.73 rear end gear. The engine on this car is also bone stock, and the car weighs 100 pounds less than mine. On the same tire as mine he runs a 12.80 @ 107mph w/ the same 60's as me. This car hasn't been tuned yet with a wide band or on the dyno either.

I understand that no 2 cars can be equal but still, my car is 4 tenths and 5mph slower. Mph is a direct relationship to horsepower so to me it looks like I am down on power. I have the better gear, but my car is 100 pound heavier. Can the stock muffler be killing that much power ? I thought 100 pound weigh reduction only get you a tenth.

Any advice would be great.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Dont take this the wrong way but it may just be the driver. Maybey you two should go down the track in the other ones car and see how the numbers compare.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Its not the driver. Its a A4. I let the car shift itself. Going down the track is nothing new to me. Driving this car is borring compared to my 10 second 92 Camaro.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why is that car so heavy?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Take it to a dyno
Old 08-16-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it may be a combination of weight plus lack of or out of tune car. when my 220 lb friend rode with me I lost .5 tenths and 2mph.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a cat back and dyno tune would probably get you in the 12's easily.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well having LT's with no knida cat-back or cut out is clogging up your exhaust system for sure
Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tainted
well having LT's with no knida cat-back or cut out is clogging up your exhaust system for sure

Thanks for the input guys.
I kinda like how quiet the car is.I have racecar so this car doesn't need to be ***** out, loud, and annoying to drive for more than 2 days straight. So I think I would be better off with a dump/cut out. This Tuesday I'm gonna take it to the track again. The last few times I had it at the track it was like 90+ degrees out; now that it has cooled off up here mabey it will pick up a little bit. I would be happy with a mid or low 12s LS1 all motor car w/o having to spray it.

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Why is that car so heavy?
3690 is with me in it (200 lbs) and about 1/8th tank of gas. The car has full leather and power seats. I've heard from many poeple the Trans Ams are heavier than Camaros. But what gets me is that It's 5 mph slower than my friends car. To me that says I'm down on power. I didn't really think an exhaust cut out will help me that much, but mabey I'll be suprised.

Last edited by LittleSlow1; 08-17-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, sounds exactly like my story man, I feel your pain.

I have a '98 Trans Am also, A4, with mods in sig plus 3000stall converter. Before the LT's were on I threw some M/T DR's on it and pulled a 1.82 60ft, and ran a disappointing 13.22 at 102mph. Sounds like we're in the same boat, so if anyone knows anything tell us please.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LittleSlow1
3690 is with me in it (200 lbs) and about 1/8th tank of gas. The car has full leather and power seats. I've heard from many poeple the Trans Ams are heavier than Camaros. But what gets me is that It's 5 mph slower than my friends car. To me that says I'm down on power. I didn't really think an exhaust cut out will help me that much, but mabey I'll be suprised.
OK, tha makes sense. There is only about a 90 pound difference between a WS6 and a stripper Z or Formula. Get a Magnaflow catback. Pretty quiet until you get on it.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok well with that low of a 60ft time you def should be in the 12's but i so what kinda 1/8 miles times and speed were u running? just for your info my car completely stock w/ bfg DR's i ran 8.74 @ 84MPH how did yours compare to that?? and you def need to gut your cats!! and get a better muffler bc ur car can't breathe right now thats y i think you're not pulling at the other end of the track!
Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

is any timing being pulled from it being so hot out? was your friend at the same track? are you getting 100% wot? some cars don't have the tb open all the way. were his times on the same exact day?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing you gotta realize is the '98 and '99 cars have different PCMs. your buddy's 99 car may have far better adjusted to the addition of longtubes and your car may not have been able to handle it so well. get a good catback and tune and i see half a second off, tons more with an LS6 intake.

also, when did you guys run your cars? because if he ran his in march and you in july, there's gonna be a big speed difference due to heat. did you go to the same tracks? if they were done on different days they may be prepped better on some days than others. best thing you can do is take them both to the tracks at the same day or better yet, race each other.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bjamick
and you def need to gut your cats!!
I have a off-road Y-Pipe. Let me rephrase that, the car has no cats.

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
is any timing being pulled from it being so hot out? was your friend at the same track? are you getting 100% wot? some cars don't have the tb open all the way. were his times on the same exact day?
No Knock retard. Timming holds at 27.5 all the way down the track. Friend was at the same track same day. Yes I'm getting 100% TPS on the Scanner and I checked the butterfly while someone else was in the car pressing the accelerator to the floor.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
one thing you gotta realize is the '98 and '99 cars have different PCMs. your buddy's 99 car may have far better adjusted to the addition of longtubes and your car may not have been able to handle it so well. get a good catback and tune and i see half a second off, tons more with an LS6 intake.

also, when did you guys run your cars? because if he ran his in march and you in july, there's gonna be a big speed difference due to heat. did you go to the same tracks? if they were done on different days they may be prepped better on some days than others. best thing you can do is take them both to the tracks at the same day or better yet, race each other.
I know about the different PCMs but I copied his timimg tables and his Primary fuel table (cannot remeber the exact name of the table, but its how you tune the LTrims).

Last edited by LittleSlow1; 08-17-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

99 and 98's are two different cars look at your perimeter bolt heads and the 99 should have center bolt heads. it's a sticky on here about all the different years there is alot of small changes
Old 08-17-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry man must have missed that thought u said u had stock exaust
Old 08-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GMTECH4
99 and 98's are two different cars look at your perimeter bolt heads and the 99 should have center bolt heads. it's a sticky on here about all the different years there is alot of small changes
Yeah I know that but they have the same cams, and there is no difference in the cylinder heads other than the valve cover mounting. The runners are the same, same valve size, and so are the chambers the last time I checked.

Originally Posted by bjamick
sorry man must have missed that thought u said u had stock exaust
ohh ok. It has the stock "catback" pipe and muffler and Pace setter full lenghts and a pace setter y-pipe with no cats.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by GMTECH4
Stock for stock, there should be no noticeable power difference between those two years.

Mod for mod, a '98 should never run 5mph slower than a '99. But that is assuming that both cars are running perfectly and racing in the same weather/same track.

Any chance that the O2 sensors on the '98 might be getting lazy? Or perhaps an exhaust leak forward of the front O2s? Any introduction of outside air pre-O2 sensor will cause false readings and poor A/F ratio.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds like bent pushrods! GM Stock pushrods suck!