General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

I think I need a little body work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006 | 08:12 PM
Launching!

Default I think I need a little body work?

This gets a little long....begin rant!
My low mile, show quality SOM SS (minus a few mods here and there...which many of them are sitting in my closet just waiting for the time needed for install), went for looking like this:

To looking like this:

I am beyond pissed! So let me start at the beginning. So it's been a long day....I'm too busy at work to even eat lunch and it's the first day in about a month I would leave on time. I am begin to head home to dinner and my fiance that is 1 hour drive away. About 10 minutes down the road from my work heading North bound, a South bound S10 decided to take a left hand turn into a business parking lot inbetween me and the truck (one car length infront of me) and well....he didn't make it!

I am going to cut this part down A LOT! 3 hours, 2 cops, 1 witness inside a small town where everyone knows everyone (except me). I'm on my way home stuck with a $256 tow bill and no police report, and no violations writen against me.

It has been a full 48 hours as of this evening and I've had to get a rental car on my own dime, I am waiting to hear if my car is totaled or not still, have heard nothing from the other's party's insuranse companies investigators yet!

I know my car will never be perfect again, but I think as picky as I am and the quality of the shop it's currently at, it will hopefully be ok? I know there isn't going to be enough damage to total the car, but at the same time it's not like I can get a check from my insurance for the totaled cost and go by another just like mine!

If anyone on here is good with law, let me know and I can get into the fine details, becuase I know I'm going to need some help, and the laywer I contacted didn't really want to help becuase there where no physical injuries.

Just figured I'd share my heartache and my nightmare of a problem..../rant
Old 08-16-2006 | 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

That sucks. Sorry that you had so many unfortunate events happen. Hopefully everything works for the best.
Old 08-16-2006 | 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

It very well may be totaled. I bought my ws6 wrecked/salvaged with less front damage and without blown bags.
Attached Thumbnails I think I need a little body work?-89_1.jpg   I think I need a little body work?-e4_1.jpg  
Old 08-16-2006 | 11:10 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Damn dude, that sucks big ones. Cars become part of us, and I know the feeling of thinking you might not ever drive yours again. I hope the car isn't totatled, and if it isn't, Im sure it will be 100% if you have it in and out of a good shop

Originally Posted by Camarokidd24
it's not like I can get a check from my insurance for the totaled cost and go by another just like mine!
Yes you can, Theres plenty of low mile som ss's out there, if worse comes to worse, and thats really what you want, you can always buy another.
Old 08-16-2006 | 11:19 PM
On The Tree

that sucks man, and i thought mine getting keyed was bad. hope everything works out
Old 08-17-2006 | 06:03 AM
11 Second Club

From: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

That sucks man. Goodluck
Old 08-17-2006 | 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

That sucks man ,i've had something similar happen to me, i got hit buy a sentra and it totally screwed the whole passenger side of my car , and i never got any money or anything out of it, good luck getting it fixed
Old 08-17-2006 | 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

trust me, getting a lawyer will not help. You will spend more money on the lawyer than you will get and it will drag out for a long time.

sorry about your car, that sucks.
Old 08-17-2006 | 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear about the wreck. The car can be fixed, but if it's worth it, I don't know. Personally, I wouldn't want a salvaged title SS not unless I could fix it really cheap. I've rebuilt a salvage title 95 Z28 before. I bought a wrecked Z28 a few years back, turned out to be a badass car for cheap. Saved it from being parted out and crushed, lol. Needed the framehorns straightened, a new radiator core support and most of the misc. front pieces. Got everything and the work done for a good price. Daily drove the car for quite a while and sold it for about what I had in it because I couldn't figure out why it always pulled to the passenger side. Guy who got it from me took it to a frame shop and they spotted the problem right off, bent control arm, easy fix. Sucked for me, lol. Oh well. It was about in the same shape as yours, mine had front and rear damage. Airbags were blown so I just left them out and replaced the whole dash with a dash out of a Trans Am, a console out of a 98+, Firehawk rims, a SS hood and spoiler, the car was a mutt, lol, got some plates that said "CONFUZD" for it, lol. Here's some pics, give you some hope incase you plan on keeping it.

and the final result...

Old 08-17-2006 | 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, man condolences. That really sucks and to happen to a SOM is even worse. Hope everything works out.
Old 08-17-2006 | 01:21 PM
Warning: unresolved sales trolling "Parts Wanted" Forum

Sorry to hear about you car, I seen it over at the bodyshop yesterday and I figured it was yours because it the only SOM SS in town. At least your ok and the car can be fixed or replaced.
Old 08-17-2006 | 05:26 PM
Launching!

what's up phil, yeah unfortunatly it's mine...I'm fine, but you know how I am about my car!

still not sure what the verdict is on the car. the bodyshop and the other drivers insurance company are having problems getting prices for some of the parts. I am guessing the chrome 10 spokes (obviously becuase they are not made anymore). At this point I just want my car back fixed. The body shop its at does great work and hopefully get everything perfect again.

I know a lawyer would drag things out and I went down the the sherriff office today to get the police reports and it's looks like the 2nd cop got his head out of his *** and wrote the report correctly, the first cop still hasn't filed his yet (he has up to 10 days to file and may not due to the second cop overriding his findings).

Thanx for your support guys!
Old 08-19-2006 | 12:34 AM
On The Tree

i recently had the same thing happen to me, mine was totaled and had the exact same damage as yours, the ins company i had to go through and the appraiser for the car had said usually on our cars if the bags go its a loss due to those babies cost a mear 750 a piece and the dash at a grand,

but then again i am in florida and im not sure but the laws maybe different,

atleast your ok and all is good as far as the attitude issue i know how you feel and i hope you get better soon, you can always get another ls1 either way it wont turn out bad, cause if its totaled you shall have a spare motor
Old 08-19-2006 | 12:41 AM
On The Tree

The car should total easy. Your ok, could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-19-2006 | 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

still not sure what the verdict is on the car. the bodyshop and the other drivers insurance company are having problems getting prices for some of the parts. I am guessing the chrome 10 spokes (obviously becuase they are not made anymore). At this point I just want my car back fixed. The body shop its at does great work and hopefully get everything perfect again.

Yeah, the wheels are going to be the biggest problem probably. I had my car in the body shop not to long ago, and at the same time there was another 4th Gen F-bod with the 10 spoke chromes. I am good friends with everyone at this body shop, so I was there a lot just hanging out and lending a hand. The entire time my car was in the shop the manager was having a HELL of a time getting a replacement wheel for the other car.

It is good that you took it to a body shop that you know does good work. I am not sure how insurance regulations are in Florida, but I cannot stress enough how important it is to try and get as many OEM parts as possible. Here in Oklahoma the laws read that the insurance companies can use aftermarket parts if possible (even if it is the other guys fault and his insurance is paying for it ) And I don't care what anyone says, aftermarket parts are NOT going to fit as cleanly as OEM. Make sure you talke to the adjuster and emphasize you want OEM if possible. I HAD to get aftermarket on my car, and the front clip does not fit as well as I would like.
Old 08-20-2006 | 11:33 PM
Warning: unresolved sales trolling "Parts Wanted" Forum

what's up phil, yeah unfortunatly it's mine...I'm fine, but you know how I am about my car!

I know a lawyer would drag things out and I went down the the sherriff office today to get the police reports and it's looks like the 2nd cop got his head out of his *** and wrote the report correctly, the first cop still hasn't filed his yet (he has up to 10 days to file and may not due to the second cop overriding his findings).

Thanx for your support guys!

Damn dude

Here I am talking to you about your car getting wreck and someone pulled out in front of my stepson friday night and totaled my 95Z. I think it's going to get scraped though. The car did it's job the boy is alright and the car that pulled out in front of him is toast. I'll post somepic's later for you. I can't belive that was one of the fastest stock f-body i have ever had 13.2 bone stock damn !!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006 | 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

This gets a little long....begin rant!
My low mile, show quality SOM SS (minus a few mods here and there...which many of them are sitting in my closet just waiting for the time needed for install), went for looking like this:

To looking like this:

I am beyond pissed! So let me start at the beginning. So it's been a long day....I'm too busy at work to even eat lunch and it's the first day in about a month I would leave on time. I am begin to head home to dinner and my fiance that is 1 hour drive away. About 10 minutes down the road from my work heading North bound, a South bound S10 decided to take a left hand turn into a business parking lot inbetween me and the truck (one car length infront of me) and well....he didn't make it!

I am going to cut this part down A LOT! 3 hours, 2 cops, 1 witness inside a small town where everyone knows everyone (except me). I'm on my way home stuck with a $256 tow bill and no police report, and no violations writen against me.

It has been a full 48 hours as of this evening and I've had to get a rental car on my own dime, I am waiting to hear if my car is totaled or not still, have heard nothing from the other's party's insuranse companies investigators yet!

I know my car will never be perfect again, but I think as picky as I am and the quality of the shop it's currently at, it will hopefully be ok? I know there isn't going to be enough damage to total the car, but at the same time it's not like I can get a check from my insurance for the totaled cost and go by another just like mine!

If anyone on here is good with law, let me know and I can get into the fine details, becuase I know I'm going to need some help, and the laywer I contacted didn't really want to help becuase there where no physical injuries.

Just figured I'd share my heartache and my nightmare of a problem..../rant

If you ever need insurance advice, like seriously, PM me. I got the hook up.
Old 08-28-2006 | 09:50 PM
Launching!

haven't had time to be on in a while...and still not having my car back, so looking in here kinda blows! but i'm bringing this on back.
Originally Posted by 4merlt1user
i am in florida
Me too

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
get as many OEM parts as possible.
Definatley, as of now they got an entire front end off a 02 z28 and will just spray the panels and add the SLP grill and replace the hood. I tried to save cost to NOT total the car and told them about the OEM SLP hood for 1100 vs the GM OEM hood for 2100. Still waiting on word on the rims.

Originally Posted by blownstrokedtransam
my stepson friday night and totaled my 95Z.
that sucks man! crazy **** always happens...my buddies car is screwed now too. david's SS has major issues now, he just got his MS3 and heads put in and his first drive and it's missing second gear...something with his tranny and tc.

Originally Posted by camaroextra
If you ever need insurance advice, like seriously, PM me. I got the hook up.
um....camaroextra you have a PM!

I heard from the other insurance company today and they are saying their driver is only 60% at fault, so I am getting an attorney!
Old 08-29-2006 | 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man Im sorry just looking at those pictures was painful. Im sure you'll restore that beautiful SOM to its former glory
Good Luck
Old 08-29-2006 | 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you still have your damaged ss hood? if so i want it...