General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Why are the 01-02 worth alot more?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

01/02 are newer. It's as simple as that. As for the debate on 01/02 being better there is no question they are. The LS6 intake makes more power then the LS1 intake does. The 01/02 exhaust manifolds flow slightly better which equates them to shorty headers. 01/02 cars "usually" have less miles. Does this mean I wish I would have bought an 01/02? HELL NO!

My personal goals revolve around mods and drag racing. My car has all ready gotten LT headers which negates the stock manifolds being better. My car is getting a fast 90/90 intake and TB combo so the LS6 intake is a mute point also. Less miles are nice but since I am only running the car at the track then that too is a mute point for me. The thousands I saved by buying a 99 is helping to make my car a lot faster

Once the modding begins they all equal out. All the years respond well to mods and all the years respond well to dyno tunes after the bigger mods. If you want to stay stock or close to it then I highly recommend getting a 01/02 SS or WS6. If you are going to mod the **** out of it then don't worry about the year. Just worry about the price and condition.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to bring the argument back up but a 1998 stripper hardtop z28 was the fastest 1/4 mile car.....but the computer in the 98 is one and only so tuning sucks...the cam in the 98-00 was the same, in 01 they switched to vortech truck cam and deleted egr, and added ls6 manifold to make up lost power. the truck cam however, does produced more low end power than that of the earlier models...
Old 10-10-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head here, however there are 3 other things to consider (1 negative, 2 positive). Do not get hyped over the possibility of getting the LS6 block, the general consensus is that the earlier block is actually better. The later 00 and up supposedly have better flowing heads (forget the casting #'s but mine is an early 00 and I have the "weaker" heads). Lastly, if you live in an area with stricter inspection rules, they may not pass you with an earlier model if you delete the EGR; whereas you do not have to worry about that with an 01 and up.