General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Imports

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only good thing about imports is that destract the cops attention from the actual fast cars. It's kinda nice that they are so dumb actually helps me out.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with it. he's challenging me, I'll smoke him. if he beats me then he beats me. my cars stock a4 his would have to be souped up to ridiculousness to beat me. I have never lost a street race. only twice out of 30 or more. one was to a mercedez and one was to i forgot. and that was when i had a v6 grand am se. i just got my car a couple days ago a 98 t/a a4 and more people challenge me and i've yet to lose. about 7 cars so far and i won all. i dont race all the time, im not gonna waste my ride to a town and country van chalenging me. i pick only the potential people. thats just me though. thats just how i roll.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i wouldnt pick too hard, you might get suprised.....i havent yet but, its coming. i know pretty much all the cars around town that can beat me and they all have 20K+ in the engine and about 1k in my engine in bolt-ons would spank them. one of the cars is an SRT4 with i guess stage 3 bullshit on it but ive tried with my mods in sig and he pulled me at around 120 by about 1.5 lengths. before that we were dead even. the other car is a 2003 GT mustang with cams and a paxton blower on it. he got me by about 3 lengths at around 130. other than that the town is full of ricers that think because they have a stupid muffler they are fast.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

I got recommended a camaro for my first street strip car. But i already know that the camaro i buy in the spring even with the 2500 dollars in mods i am doing to it when i get it, it still will only be average. It might take out most of the imports, save for the 600 hp 3000gt vr-4 and a few sti's, one srt-4, and one integra. Not to forget the evo's either. I will be about even with the european cars around albany, but in the world of muscle i will still be a nobody. Our local car group has several cars in the 9's. a ton of cars in the tens and so on. But if i pull consistent 11's i will be happy. I just don't want to hit lower than an 11 this upcoming summer b/c i wont be able to afford a roll cage for racing at lebanon valley.

As far as gas mileage, my current car a 98 neon gets an average of only 25 miles per gallon and i drive about 65% highway ans 35 city. So owning a camaro isnt as bad as say a truck, i know my dodge ram 1500 only gets 12 miles a gallon average and thats like 85% highway driving and 15 city.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by snake hunter
Ditto what Brandon said. My son has a '00 Civic SI with a turbo and some other mods. Last pass was mid 11's. He bought the car while still in high school and started tinkering with it. I watched all of the effort he has put into it (did all the mods himself) and now it has paid off with a fast reliable car that still gets 30 mpg. I have an '02 WS6 that would take a whole lot more money to get that fast. But, I am an LS1 guy, so everyone has their own tastes. Anyone who says they hate imports have probably had their feelings hurt by one. You may hate 'em, but it does not cost a lot of money to make them fast.

Can't agree with that one. Moneywise dollar for dollar it will almost always be the V8 powered car. I used to hate imports with a passion, and they had no credibility with me, but they have their purpose.

I respect what the Japanese do with their real "tuner" cars that do more in the twisties than they do in a straight line, and the big wing on the back really does provide downforce for an AWD or RWD car, as opposed to the idiots we see with Cavaliers and RSXs with all their money spent on "the look".

Far as street racing is concerned, on the turnpike to Miami I got beaten very badly by a noisy whooshing SRT-4...the fast ones are out there, especially in Florida.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:18 AM
TECH Resident

did anyone else catch that tuner build they did on horsepower tv a year or two ago?? teal green 95 civic(popular year and model), 5 spd, over $1000 in aftermarket parts, only gained like 8 hp and topped out at 90hp i think. i just about died when i watched the guy try to peel out on the street.

some of the cars are nice, very well done up rides. there is a blue civic thats getting a 500hp setup in my town that should be killer and my buddy has a nicely modded evo that can really haul ***. im just not a fan of all show and no go. hell, some cars around here are no show, no go.

to each their own.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I toyed with a Supra on teh freeway just yesterday, it's refreshing to have people who can keep up with you. He probably would have actually beaten the hell outta me had we gone ***** to the wall, but it's still cool to see cars that fast. The cars you listed are always a potential threat, it's when you see/hear fart can and alum wing that you can rest a little bit easier. Sometimes I know those guys rev at you and get you to try and race just because they wanna see what your car is really capable of. I mean, compare it to pulling up next to a Ferrari or Lambo on the freeway. You know you're probably going to rev at them and all, just to see them take off.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

imports will be imports
domestics will be domestics
i love my Z28 to death and all others problably love thier cars. As we love to mod them so do others. The only thiong that is real ******* annoying is ricers. everytime i see one on the freeway they wanna race me. i dont have a super duper ride (yet) but ive never lost to one import. Now the next worse are mustangs.

mustang drivers are little ricers at heart.

I respect customization. cause i love to do it, to each his own tho.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm with ya Al.

No way is it cheaper mod for mod to make any Civic run reliable 11s than an LS1. Period.

PS. I don't hate asian imports, but I don't like them either. I spent 6 years driving a Toyota as a daily driver. I never really liked it, I don't miss it, and I would never do it again.
and i think front wheel burn-outs just look funny
Old 10-11-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by g-ryde1
imports will be imports
domestics will be domestics
i love my Z28 to death and all others problably love thier cars. As we love to mod them so do others. The only thiong that is real ******* annoying is ricers. everytime i see one on the freeway they wanna race me. i dont have a super duper ride (yet) but ive never lost to one import. Now the next worse are mustangs.

mustang drivers are little ricers at heart.

I respect customization. cause i love to do it, to each his own tho.
LMAO

ps...wherre u @ in HI?...im in iraq rite now from HI...
Old 10-11-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i live at helemano but work on schofield been on hi for about 2 years now Army
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll admit that I love Supras, but other than that...
Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I seen alot of nice imports here and alot of them are really fast,and some are just for looks(big wing lights gr.effects)wich is fine if all show is your thing,but what I dont get is when I see (usually ateen) a 1983-86 reliant k or a chevy celebrity (the 4 doors yuor grandparents own) with a big wing,fart can.I mean it doesnt match the car and it just looks dumb.To each their own I guess
Old 10-11-2006, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nickand98redta
I would go with it. he's challenging me, I'll smoke him. if he beats me then he beats me. my cars stock a4 his would have to be souped up to ridiculousness to beat me. I have never lost a street race. only twice out of 30 or more. one was to a mercedez and one was to i forgot. and that was when i had a v6 grand am se. i just got my car a couple days ago a 98 t/a a4 and more people challenge me and i've yet to lose. about 7 cars so far and i won all. i dont race all the time, im not gonna waste my ride to a town and country van chalenging me. i pick only the potential people. thats just me though. thats just how i roll.
if you won 30/30 in a grand am SE then you must be racing minivans. Funny thing is, I've won more races in my prelude than the T/A because of what wants to race me. The prelude was an h23 with bolt ons that ran 9.6 @ 75 and I probably won 90% of the time because slow cars thought they could pull. In the T/A people expect it to be fast so I've raced a lot faster cars.

For instance:
-my uncles R6 _
-STI @ 19psi, 3" downpipe back exhaust, PDX tune _ LOST
-C5 Vette w/ exhaust _ LOST
-AMG E55 _ LOST
-AMG C32 _ WON
-SRT 4 in the high 8's _ WON
-couple newer mustang GT's _ WON
and a few other cars the prelude would have pulled

In the prelude I never would have raced those cars ... probably would have gotten a laugh for trying.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 AM
uno
On The Tree

I own both import and domestic. I get more real races in the Z. Actually get asked for them. When I'm in the 240 it immediately goes to $hit talking with most everyone going ," you think that ricer is fast", "hey lemme spank that 4 banger" etc etc bla bla bla. Even though the 240 is faster right now, I get more respect in the stock Z.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by like the view?
I got recommended a camaro for my first street strip car. But i already know that the camaro i buy in the spring even with the 2500 dollars in mods i am doing to it when i get it, it still will only be average. It might take out most of the imports, save for the 600 hp 3000gt vr-4 and a few sti's, one srt-4, and one integra. Not to forget the evo's either. I will be about even with the european cars around albany, but in the world of muscle i will still be a nobody. Our local car group has several cars in the 9's. a ton of cars in the tens and so on.
I live in Louisville, KY and there are probably a hundred 4 cylinders that would stick with an ls1... not including bikes. It's almost depressing thinking how much it would take to have a truly fast car around here, but on the other hand I LOVE seeing the power some of these cars are putting down
Old 10-11-2006, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
Stock engine with exhaust and a six speed with stock gears. 70 mph at about 1700rpms. Its not that crazy if you look at it that way. There have to be other m6 guys here that want to chim in.
>30 mpg on the highway (at <70 mph), and that's with 4.10s no less (but it is an M6).
Old 10-11-2006, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by snake hunter
Anyone who says they hate imports have probably had their feelings hurt by one.
Nope. I've NEVER had my "feelings" hurt by one. In fact I even beat a MKIV TT on the highway once. Yeah, I know, it must've been the ONLY pure stock one left, and out of tune on water laden 87 octane as well, with 10 psi in the tires, and half of that coming out of the hairdryers, right?

But anyway, no, my "hate" for them has NOTHING to do with looks, sound, 4/6 cylinders, or even being beaten/embarrassed by one. I even admire and think it's cool to pull the kind of power they get from small engines. I despise them for economic/trade reasons only, especially the punks that diss/reject their OWN country's product, while ONLY praising/supporting foreign product. Why is it that this would NEVER be tolerated in any other instance (i.e.; they'd be SHOT if they praised Iran over the U.S.A., or loved Euro sports over American "stick and ball" sports), but it's PERFECTLY OK in autodom??
Yes, I know it's been beat to death 10 trillion times in other sites/threads/forums, so let's not get into it here (all you Econ 101ers). Just letting you know there are other reasons why imports are disliked than most of the "usual" reasons you hear on this (and other) sites the majority of the time.

Last edited by dailydriver; 10-11-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

i agree here. i like all cars that are done in true car enthusiast fashion. its the people out there that are ignorant about cars and try to act smart. or my favorite people are the ones that are annoying just to be that way. anyways, i get 24-25 mpg in my A4. just wanted to get that in.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jamesSS
did anyone else catch that tuner build they did on horsepower tv a year or two ago?? teal green 95 civic(popular year and model), 5 spd, over $1000 in aftermarket parts, only gained like 8 hp and topped out at 90hp i think. i just about died when i watched the guy try to peel out on the street.

some of the cars are nice, very well done up rides. there is a blue civic thats getting a 500hp setup in my town that should be killer and my buddy has a nicely modded evo that can really haul ***. im just not a fan of all show and no go. hell, some cars around here are no show, no go.

to each their own.
That's also the same show who couldn't break deep 11s with a 550 WHP + setup on a ls1 with slicks. Show is just an ad really...

They "pick" what ever parts are given to them, stuff like MSD is a total waste, that motor they had stock isn't worth the metal its made of.

I'm just happy to people see my pain when I bring my little hatch on the street no one thinks its fast but that has its upside

I own both a quick import and domestic, I love all cool cars. Most of the time when anyone revs I bite, even when its like the other day a freaking stock scion trying to get me in the z28.

Quick Reply: Imports