General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Imports

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as mpg goes, in my 02 ss m6, i did mostly city driving, and got about 190 miles to the tank before my gas light would come on (about 13.5 mpg), but my foot was always on it, and i mean always. in my 99 that i have now (also an m6) i get around 250 before the light comes on. probably b/c this one has asr and it is on most of the time, keeping me from lighting up the tires. this one gets treated better, and it treats me better at the pumps. i picked it up in colorado springs and drove it to st. george utah. on the way home, i kept it at about 82mph in 6th gear and averaged 27.4 mpg. then just outside of richfield utah the driver rear tire blew. it was sunday and everyone was closed except walmart, and the closest tire size they had was a little bit smaller than hat i needed so they suggested that i keep it around 65 mpg. i set the cruise, kept it at 65 in 6th gear and (no b.s) got 34.87 mpg!!
as far as ricers go, like many of y'all have said, to each his own. to me there is a distinction between a sporty car and a sports car. to me, a muscle car is a sports car, and things like civic si, rx-8, 350z, and s2000's are sporty cars. i would assume that everyone on this website is here b/c we love fast cars, and love winning, but me personally, i would rather lose to anything other than a mustang...
Old 10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Launching!

I rally like 240sx's especially the ones with that 2gt00tthahas20238493 whatever its called twin turbo motor. very cool

the newer ones look real sharp too.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight98TA
I rally like 240sx's especially the ones with that 2gt00tthahas20238493 whatever its called twin turbo motor. very cool

the newer ones look real sharp too.
twin turbo? I guess you are talking about the rb26. Most common swap is a single turbo sr20det with 210hp depending on the year
Old 10-11-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Regular

i have a M6, last year i got about 25mpg at 80 to 85 and some down shift on the way there for some ppl that thought they were fast.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by d'sLS1SS
What do you guys with ls1's think about when a 350z,evo mr, g35, rsx-s, civic si, supras or any import try to pull up and give you a race. or when you see one of them trying to gun it
If an import throws me a rev and it doesn't look/sound obnoxious, I'll bite. Smart import drivers will make an effort to keep their car stock-looking, so when they DO rev you, they might know what they're actually getting into. But usually, import drivers will rev enough times to **** me off so I'll bite anyway. That's how I clocked in my first kill ever when I was in my LT1, against a bumble-bee looking (yellow/black paint) and sounding Civic hatch. He wouldn't stop buzzing me.

If a domestic throws me a rev, I'll bite unless I know the offending car is obviously faster than me. I'm not afraid to lose, but I need a chance to win to justify any race. Otherwise, I'd be a ricer by picking races way out of my league. But if somebody lower in the car chain challenges me, I have an obligation to remind them of where they belong. Also gives them a chance to surprise me, but we know how frequently that actually happens.

At any rate, I think it's important to remember to exercise good road manners. Abstaining from street racing is a good policy. But smacking ricers on both sides of the house is an even better one.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AngryJ
twin turbo? I guess you are talking about the rb26. Most common swap is a single turbo sr20det with 210hp depending on the year

This is very possible. I'm not well versed in many imports and don't pretend to be.

but a friend of a friend had a 240sx(the newest body style) which was pushing 400hp. I thought he had a twin turbo on it.. but I could be wrong. Can the single turbo's push that much?
and I thought there was a srsomethingorother that had twin turbos... ? no?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

If the import is already turboed, then yea it can be modded as easily as a V8 and provide similar results (especially if its AWD a huge advantage over us on the street) BUT to say its cheaper to turbo a N/A car then to make a LS1 that fast after the turbo kit is just stupid, most turbo conversions done RIGHT will be around 4-5 K
Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Louie83
I feel bad for the people who actually have nice imports. There's so many morons with fart cans and wings on their cruddy import cars (as well as on Cavaliers and the like) who tout Honda and Toyota as being light-years ahead of America while running in a 16 second car that they honestly believe would beat me. They ruin it for the nice ones.
Im glad people see that. Its so true.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Launching!

This is very possible. I'm not well versed in many imports and don't pretend to be.

but a friend of a friend had a 240sx(the newest body style) which was pushing 400hp. I thought he had a twin turbo on it.. but I could be wrong. Can the single turbo's push that much?

Twin turbos are generally pointless for big power application unless you're talking about feeding like 400+CI. The really fast 10.5 Outlaw drag guys run huge (like 100MM) singles. Virtually all the mean Supras run singles. And I have never seen any TT 4 Cylinders in the 240 or DSM world do anything that can not be done better/faster/simpler/cheaper with a single. Now TT can be a nice way to get good low RPM response. But thats pretty much useless for strait line racing anyway.

400WHP can be done with a pretty moderately sized single turbo in a 2L application given the right intercooling and fuel management etc. 16G DSMs hit over 400WHP (barely) quite awhile ago.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

I'll admit I have respect for some imports. If done correctly they can be pretty badass cars. I don't have much done to my ss, but have lost to some srt4's before. I also got my *** handed to me by a supra once. But I think it's fairly uncommon to see a solid 11 second or faster import. I race my Nova all the time and have never even come close to losing in it.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

yea, i have too much pride sometimes....if some kid laughs or somethin while revving his moms civic 4dr (which he had to put a giant exhaust tip on) ill weld my foot to the floor just to make myself feel better. if i feel that someone thinks that im not racin them b/c i know they'll beat me...ill race them til i prove them wrong....or right.

in the same night, i got OWNED by a terminator....and beat an evo (not sure how).
didnt expect to win either but sometimes you'll suprise yourself
Old 10-11-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When any car pulls up to me, whether import or domestic, I just think about the ticket I don't want to get. It takes every bit of self control in me to not race cuz I love it. haha.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
If an import throws me a rev and it doesn't look/sound obnoxious, I'll bite. Smart import drivers will make an effort to keep their car stock-looking, so when they DO rev you, they might know what they're actually getting into. But usually, import drivers will rev enough times to **** me off so I'll bite anyway. That's how I clocked in my first kill ever when I was in my LT1, against a bumble-bee looking (yellow/black paint) and sounding Civic hatch. He wouldn't stop buzzing me.

If a domestic throws me a rev, I'll bite unless I know the offending car is obviously faster than me. I'm not afraid to lose, but I need a chance to win to justify any race. Otherwise, I'd be a ricer by picking races way out of my league. But if somebody lower in the car chain challenges me, I have an obligation to remind them of where they belong. Also gives them a chance to surprise me, but we know how frequently that actually happens.

At any rate, I think it's important to remember to exercise good road manners. Abstaining from street racing is a good policy. But smacking ricers on both sides of the house is an even better one.
i'd tend 2agree with this...but i get a kick outta the "obligation to remind them of where they belong" part...VERY ture...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by snake hunter
Ditto what Brandon said. My son has a '00 Civic SI with a turbo and some other mods. Last pass was mid 11's. He bought the car while still in high school and started tinkering with it. I watched all of the effort he has put into it (did all the mods himself) and now it has paid off with a fast reliable car that still gets 30 mpg.
I've never heard of an 11 second Civic that can get 30MPG. With the fuel system and such you need to have to run those kinds of times, your fuel economy goes into the gutter. Same reason Evos and STIs can only average 20MPG. Like they say, you gotta feed the horses.

I have an '02 WS6 that would take a whole lot more money to get that fast. But, I am an LS1 guy, so everyone has their own tastes.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any clue how much money he put into that Civic in order to get it to run 11's?? Probalby well over $10,000. Turning a 16 second economy car into an 11 drag car takes a ton of money. You could get your LS1 into the 11's with just bolt ons. Its not even a comparison, I have no idea why you would say that.

Anyone who says they hate imports have probably had their feelings hurt by one. You may hate 'em, but it does not cost a lot of money to make them fast.
Or maybe...some people just don't like certain imports

I personally can't stand Japanese "performance" cars, I think they are crap. The Japs make good economy cars nothing more. I don't like they way they look, they have little buzzy no torque motors, and they sound like angry bees. Whats to like about that?? They also tend to break easily when driven hard, and parts and labor are extremely expensive. If thats not reason ehough than nothing is, I keep an open mind, but those cars just don't appeal to me at all. If you can't understand that than you are the ignorant one.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 AM
On The Tree

I just actually sold my DSM a couple months ago and it's honest advantage is the power/weight. Doesn't matter how much power you put down, if you have alot of extra weight, it's useless. And i dunno what your thinkn of Sparetire, but Shep Racing has a 92 DSM with around 1000 AWHP on a 4G63. Ran a 7.5 1/4 mile, which according to this video I got a few nights back is the same time as the "quickest/fastest" z06 on a single turbo. No bashing intended, just defending those who get the short end.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snake hunter
I certainly agree that there are a lot of morons out there with the big wings, sound like crap, and run in the 16's, and think the imports are way ahead of the American made cars. It makes one wonder how primer gray can come in that many shades. It is fun to mess with them. However, there are a lot of kids who do it right and deserve respect. But, 29 mpg from an LS1? I have owned three, and never came close to that. How did you manage such good mileage? Teach an old dog a new trick here.
80mph interstate cruising speed at 1900 rpm for 3 hours, 33mph, the trick here is having a 6spd.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
So you will waste your gas to prove you can beat a 98whp civic, but you won't waste the gas to see a bad *** car jump sideways at 60 at pull like a freight train? Sounds like you need to get your priorities straight. I dont know about you, but beating a fart canned civic means absolutely nothing to me ... getting destroyed by a blown viper makes me cream my pants

sr20det's can easily see 400hp. To do it reliably though you would at least need forged internals, but with a built/sleeved block and tons of boost those engines can see 700+hp

Originally Posted by TransAminal
I've never heard of an 11 second Civic that can get 30MPG. With the fuel system and such you need to have to run those kinds of times, your fuel economy goes into the gutter.
It is called tuning. There are a couple 11 second civics in Louisville DEEP into the 11's getting 30+mpg.

Originally Posted by TransAminal
Or maybe...some people just don't like certain imports
I personally can't stand Japanese "performance" cars, I think they are crap. The Japs make good economy cars nothing more. I don't like they way they look, they have little buzzy no torque motors, and they sound like angry bees. Whats to like about that?? They also tend to break easily when driven hard, and parts and labor are extremely expensive. If thats not reason ehough than nothing is, I keep an open mind, but those cars just don't appeal to me at all. If you can't understand that than you are the ignorant one.
You are calling him ignorant after a post like this? First step: realize you are a dang'r. Second step: realize Japan and other foriegn countries make some very quality cars. Not to mention you've obviously never heard of road racing or autocross to believe japanese performance cars dont perform. There is this thing called power/weight that actually affects performance believe it or not. And you think imports break more than domestics??? Wow, unless you are talking about the turbo rotary, you need to shut the **** up. You basing your opinion of imports from the fart canned civics proves your ignorance on this topic.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

I seen some integras run 11.60 at the track. they were all gotted out, build engine,turbo,nitrous,slicks, and so on.

I had heads and cam at the time and got an 11.70
Old 10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Launching!

I have to say Im quite suprised and proud of the responses Ive read in this thread. I expected alot of hating, but it seems there are truly auto enthusiasts. I agree, there are some pretty cool imports running the streets, but they are overshadowed by all the kids with a rattle can and a satellite spoiler. The really fast ones are the ones you least expect, especially in FL. I got my *** handed to me by a old civic hatch, and I had a 99T/A w full bolt ons and a 150 shot. He looked like he dug this car out of the boneyard, and pulled me by about 5 lengths. when he popped the hood he had some wierd aluminium acura race motor and the car had been gutted to wiegh about 10 lbs. Never saw that one coming.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Well... the way I see it is imports were made to be economical cars. (i.e-civics, integras, blah blah blah) there are a few imports that can be considered to be sports cars which is supras, evos, sti's, 3000gt's, and so forth. I give somewhat respect to those cars but civics and integras are jokes. I actually own a 99 civic ex which has VTECH!!!! wooo.. lol. No mods cuz no need. If I wanna drive fast then i get in my WS6 and ripps some tires. Its sad to see that these "economical" cars get 30mpg and yet V8 sportscars get roughly around 25-28mpg. Yea anything can go fast given the money and right upgrades but stock for stock its all about the LS1.

Quick Reply: Imports