General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Converting Z28 to SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
lets point to 02NHRAtransAm's sig where it clearly states he owns a "69 El Camino SS Clone", no rainbow flag next to that ****, lets hear the excuses...

and the crap he is referring to is the crap you'll get on this board if your damn door sticker doesnt say WU8/WS6...
That vehicle has actually been passed down in my family... My grandfather built and was in the process of restoring it when he passed away... i have just carried on his wishes on the vehicle.

Im just sayin that SS camaros arent all that rare, and for the price u are gunna pay to mod u're z28 2 be an SS u could have just bought one. i bought a 01 SOM SS (a4) a couple years back and it only cost me $12k so they are out there (it only had 55k miles so no it wasnt high milage)
Old 10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spy2520
and the crap he is referring to is the crap you'll get on this board if your damn door sticker doesnt say WU8/WS6...
You don't get any crap for buying a hood. Only if you re-badge the car after the hood
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
You don't get any crap for buying a hood. Only if you re-badge the car after the hood
exactly, why get the crap at all. it would be wrong to sell a z28 as an SS, i think that is actually breaking a law somewhere. but if you get the badges and hood/spoiler you get a whole lo of **** on this board for something that is merely personal taste, and isnt going to affect anybody except for the people on this site who know the difference.

lets say somebody got an lt1 car, they convert the front end to ls1 style complete with all the badges and everything. why do they have to hear **** for it? i bet if their lt1 was an ss and they converted to ls1-style ss front-end it would be ok. What makes SS so special that i cant have it on my car without gettin beat down? peoples opinions are one thing, but the ls1tech community tends to look down on people who's cars say ss and didnt from the factory (like any of them said SS from the factory).

sorry if i seem so defensive but this issue comes up like once every 2 months and the **** is old now.

and depending on where you live you could probably afford a z28+spoiler+hood but down here there is an 02 SS that has a $32k sticker in the window, oddly even if you offered that in cash the guy still wouldnt sell it...
Old 10-18-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

i say go ahead and do it. its just a hood and spoiler and sum stupid badges. you can still tell people you have a clone, and should do so if you ever plan on selling it. so what should a guy do if he goes v6 f-body to a ls1 conversion, is he soposed to not badge his car at all cause its not a "real" factory car?

dude, go ahead with what ever conversion you want. your z-28 is just as fast as an SS is and may even be faster depending on whatever mods you have done to it. the only thing you wont have is a little sticker that makes it an official SS. if you can live without that sticker, go for it.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

I wouldn't ruin a perfectly good Z28 by putting on a SS hood. If I were to change it I would damn sure spend my cash for an aftermarket hood. Like the Sunoco Hood. It looks a hell of a lot better and I run the FTRA so I wouldn't get any function out of it. And I also like my Z28 spoiler better that the SSs.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02NHRAtransAm
That vehicle has actually been passed down in my family... My grandfather built and was in the process of restoring it when he passed away... i have just carried on his wishes on the vehicle.

Im just sayin that SS camaros arent all that rare, and for the price u are gunna pay to mod u're z28 2 be an SS u could have just bought one. i bought a 01 SOM SS (a4) a couple years back and it only cost me $12k so they are out there (it only had 55k miles so no it wasnt high milage)
There is no way it is cheaper to buy a documented SS than it is to make a Z28 look like one. An SS can demand 4k more in price just for being an SS, the hood/spoiler would be $900 new and with paint on the high end maybe $1500 total. Cheaper to make a Z look like an SS than to buy a factory SS.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as u dont badge it a GT or worse yet TypeR, i say **** it!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

there you go, 4 decent posts that have the right idea...