General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Buying a new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new car

Hey im new to the forum but have been here a couple times and was wondering what you guys would suggest about the car i would like to purchase. Its a 96 ws6 m6 that has 137,000 miles on it but has been kept in good condition and hasnt been beat on. This will be my first car but I have been driving for alittle over a year and im pretty confident in my driving abilities. The guy wanted $5000 for it but it needs 2 new tires and the air doesnt work so he dropped it down to $4500. I will be driving it in the winter but not when theres to much snow. My question is do you guys think this is a fair price and if it is can you guys give me some information i should know about the car and anything that deals with it?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

To me - $5,000/$4,500 is too much for ANY car with over 100,000 miles on it... no way... I wouldn't touch it - you're just buying someone else's problems/headaches!

I wouldn't buy a used car that had any more than 40,000 miles on it...

come to think of it - I wouldn't buy a used car at all... never have...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-26-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
To me - $5,000/$4,500 is too much for ANY car with over 100,000 miles on it... no way... I wouldn't touch it - you're just buying someone else's problems/headaches!

you're so helpful...the kid has 4g's, what is he supposed to do, go buy a new car?
maybe he should just get a new bike and pedal his way to work and school until he can afford a new car?

as for the original post...137k is alot of miles, and even when cars aren't driven hard and taken care of, wear and tear is inevitable, i would suggest buying a cheaper more reliable car now, and saving as much money as you can in the next year and buying a newer (hopefully LS1) car with less miles, you will thank yourself in the end and won't have to deal with a car that has a significant amount of wear on it.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

it's a bit much, i just sold my 99 formula with 123k on it for $4500, so i think you can get a better deal

i'd probably save for an ls1, nothing wrong with an lt1, but it's older
an a/c compressor alone will cost you more than the $500 price drop, and you say you won't drive it with much snow out, you're not gonna want to drive it with any snow out

not doubting your driving skills, but a rwd sports car in the snow can be tough for anyone

if you really need a car, get a beater fwd for now and save some cash, there will always be another f-body out there for sale at a better price with less miles, it's just the law of buying used cars, you can get a deal, but never the BEST deal
Old 10-27-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good advice. Or not. Not many people can afford to buy new cars. The kid doesn't have much to spend on a car it seems like.

I'm with the other guys that thought maybe you should wait a little bit until you can afford an LS1. I don't know very much about LT1s, but I know you could get a high mileage LS1 and not worry about it getting too old/worn out. LS1s are incredibly reliable, and i've never heard of one just crapping out cuz of mileage.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and what are you trying to prove??? i have 78k miles on my ls1 and haven't had any problems (knock on wood) so far. not everyone can afford to buy/finance a new car. good luck with your monte.

as far as the lt1 goes, i wouldn't get it for that much....relax and take your time. I would look into an ls1 if i were you. very reliable cars. good luck to you!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry, didn't mean to come off like that... basically just meant that 4k-5k for a car with 137,000 miles is alot. and I missed the part about it being his FIRST car... sorry dude...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Last edited by 06MonteSS; 10-27-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$5,000 for an LS1?! I'd say thats pretty good. Milage is kind of up there, but before I pulled my motor I had 135k on it and it ran pretty dang good! (I didn't pull it because of any kind of failure, just manufacturing defect). There are LS1's with 185-200k on them around here on the stock longblock. Although you may want to put money aside for safety's sake. And with not buying anything but new, I'm not sure if I agree, if you can afford to buy a Lambo new with no payments, more power to you. But you dont hear too many people bragging about buying their brand new Kia. Its up to you I guess, but I'll never buy new, I'd rather buy a car with 5k on it than new, the mark ups are ridiculous.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Um...96 = LT1
Old 10-27-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you only have 4-5 grand to spend I'd just wait till you have more saved up and get a cheap beater car for now. Winter is not fun in these cars if there is any snow on the ground. Besides that, you are just asking for some big repair bills with a high mileage car like that. Not saying that it can't be relieabe, but even the little stuff will start to add up.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I retract my entire previous post.

Originally Posted by ZFan88
Um...96 = LT1
Umm didn't see that, but thanks pumpkin.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just got home from the dealership about 30 minutes ago... just bought a '94 z28 a4 with 76k on the odo for $4462. that included dealer doc fee, tax, title, registration, etc... just for comparison purposes. personally i think that the price is a bit much for what it is. i agree with the rest of these guys, buy a beater, save up some more money, and get an ls1. i enjoy driving this new z28, but not nearly as much as my 99 ss. whatever you decide to do, just make sure your happy with your decision and not gonna have buyers remorse next week
Old 10-27-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to agree with everyone else. That mileage is way too high for what it is. I don't know much about the LT1s but if that optispark hasn't been changed out yet (I highly doubt it), it will need to be so that's already one thing from the start.

If that's about all the money you've got to spend, buy a cheap FWD beater car for a year or two. For a first car you're not going to want something real nice that you'll want to cherish and not want anything to happen to. **** will happen; it happened to my first two cars.