General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Insurance Company and tickets

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Insurance Company and tickets

yeah i got pulled over last night in some podunk town outside of dayton called yellow springs. i was in a 35 and seen a sign that said 55 and started to accelerate and got busted for 52 in a 35. i know it was my fault and im not bashing the cop because he was really cool. he asked me where my front plate was and i told him it was under my seat because it makes the front end look hideous. well come to find out he owns an 02 CETA, M6 and knows exactly where im coming from. anyways, what im getting at here is will my insurance company find out about it if i dont tell em? im sure they will but im just curious.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They may or may not, it depends if you go to change companies then yes they will find out, but if you don't it depends on if your policy is audited, or the police send a notification to the company
I've had tickets and they never increased my insurance (must've gotten lucky) maybe you will too
BTW I've never told my insurance co about any tickets, if they find out then they raise the rate, if they don't then, they're none the wiser and I'm a little less poor
Old 11-09-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the insurance company WILL find out about it but prolly wont raise your rates....

does ohio offer the drivers improvment class if so take it....

were u physically pulled over in the 55 mph zone? (were you in the 55mph zone when u were on the side of the road)
if not how far away were u from the 55mph sign? i would challenge it if u were accelerating up to the speed displayed only a hundred feet ahead of u...

my arguement would be if i cant accelerate until im past the sign that says 55 you shouldnt have to slow down till after a sign of a lesser speed (i dunno if that would work though)
Old 11-09-2006, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i was about >1/8 mile from the 55 sign. i mean i could see it. this was my other defense. the cop was sitting on the opposite side of the road from me facing the totally oppisite direction as me and had NO lights on whatsoever. i had no idea he was there till he flipped his lights on and got behind me.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you recieved a ticket, then the insurance co. is going to find out. Like presto z stated, find out if you can enroll in a defensive driving class. This voids the increase in insurance rate (most of the time) if the insurance co. decided to raise your rate. The only reason Im 99% certain about this is becuase my buddy was 1 ticket away from his insurance co. dropping him if he got one more ticket. They told him when he received that ticket to take a defensive driving class and they (insurance) would wave his ticket.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Default Depends on ins. co

I would say it would depend on who you were insured with. I have had 2 tickets since 2001. One was 14 over the other was 17 over and I did not tell the insurace co. and they did not raise my rates. It was not until I switched companies that I disclosed the tickets. Always tell a new ins. co. if you have tickets b/c they will find out.

My 17 over was the most recent and it will be 3 years and off my record in April. Cost $160.

Oh, if that is the only ticket you have on record you may not be increased anyway. I was told by my agent (AAA) that one tickets doesn't raise your rate. Of course I'm 36 so it may be different if you are younger.

I only pay about $70/month for full coverage on my 99 Z28.

Good luck and if I were you I would just see if they find out and if they don't....then whatever you do don't change companies.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think your insurance company would find out unless the police notify them. Insurance companies have to pay to review your driving record (it's like $10 a person), and so they aren't going to just randomly review people cuz it costs them money, and we all know insurance companies don't like spending money. If they do find out, take defensive driving.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

how is it that the insurance company wont find out if unless u tell them but when u get a ticket you get like 5 billion adds in the mail for drivers classes or a traffic lawyer
Old 11-11-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got stopped at 123.5 mph, booked at 85 mph because officers odo in his private car didn't go past 85 and paid the $106.50 ticket the next day. As the WHO would say, "I call that a bargain, the best I ever had". And, I was out of the state and my local insurance has not changed a bit. That was 2.5 years ago.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Most(but not all) insurance companies will retrieve your driving history from the state in which you are licensed when you renew or start another policy

Would recommend the defensive driving course if available, here in Illinois you can usually get court supervision and it was not until recently reported to the DMV(Secretary of State in Illinois) unless you got another within 6 months. It is reported now to SOS but this information is not given to the insurance companies when they request a driver history
Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by noah89
Got stopped at 123.5 mph, booked at 85 mph because officers odo in his private car didn't go past 85 and paid the $106.50 ticket the next day. As the WHO would say, "I call that a bargain, the best I ever had". And, I was out of the state and my local insurance has not changed a bit. That was 2.5 years ago.
What the hell was he driving
Old 11-13-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Many insurance companies will review your driving record annually.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, but they only find out if it goes on record. In most cases, I haven't seen any other case, the city handles the ticket. If you pay their fine and their requirements such as probation and such, then they will not send it to DPS and simply throw it out.

As long as they don't send it to DPS, your insurance company doesn't find out. I have had 5 tickets and violated my probation twice. My prosecutor was very friendly with me and let me extend my probation further. I have been ticket free for a year and have stopped speeding so much.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, about 9 years ago, I got a ticket in Piqua, OH. Going 79 in a 65 MPH. Cop was all cool and talked like he knew me for years and gave me ticket anyways. I was 20 years old, and was convinced my insurance would skyrocket. I wasn't going to try to fight the ticket since this meant going to court, in which Piqua is ~150 miles south of me, so I just paid it. I go through State Farm and my insurance never went up. I didn't tell them of course, but they never found out. Probably depends on state/insurance company.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Anone who is sain the WILL find out doesn't know what the are tlakin about. One of m good friends got a DWi and just staed with the same insurance compan and got luck and the didn't find out until it cleared. As far as ou being at fault you were techincally wrong. You are not technically allowed to be going 55 until you are in the 55 mph zone.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Default ticket

i dont knwo how it is there but in kansas 10 mph and under the speed limit the insurance dont find out 11 mph and above they do
Old 12-09-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

To MjMaro,

He was driving a beater Grand Marquis, but he had a radio to contact his State Patrol buddies down the road. My Valentine was of no help. Lesson learned.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Here's a way to get out of points on your ticket and having your insurance company find out: Pay the ticket but overpay by like $2 and some change. They are required by law to issue you a check for the overage. Thing is, points are not assessed until all financial transactions involving the ticket are closed. When they issue you the check, just don't cash it. You'll have a free ride.