General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Muscle Car or Sports Car?
Muscle Car
80.00%
Sports Car
20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

~Muscle Car or Sports Car~

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
eh?

If you re-read my post you'll see I only called V8 heavy weight cars like the GTO and Stang muslce cars. I DID NOT call the above muscle cars, hell I'd don't even know what a frigging g35 is let alone try and classify it.

Where?

Basically all you said is if it's a car then its a sports car??

It's a RALLY car which you seem under the miss conception is a sports car. It's a Ford Focus WRC car exactly the same kind of thing as a WRX or Evo.

Then I'm sorry but you really have no idea.

As I said if you claim they are sports cars what is a Lotus Elise? It certainly is a very different car compared to a BMW M5 which is concerned with performance/handling. But in your definition they are exactly the same type of car, which frankly is ludicous.

Only if you don't know what a sports car is!

Have you ever been in or driven a REAL sports car? I'm gonna guess not, because if you had it would be so obvious at the difference.

ill explain it again. in your original description of what a sports car is i gave numerous examples disproving that. you agreed with some of what i said.

you insist upon breaking down every single vehicle that might be clasified as a sports car and i dont GAS to analzye every vehicle you bring up. weather you like it or not ive disproved your original description of what you think a sports car is.

you have a certain idea what a sports car is and im sorry i disagree.

and no an m5 is a luxury car. nice try at twisting your point but it didnt work.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

GTO a sports car?

Sports cars are small, GTO is massive.

Sports cars are light wieght, GTO is a pig

Sports cars are 2 seaters, often soft tops, GTO is a 4 seater coupe

Sports cars are about nimble handling, GTO is barge with A+ sideways action

Sports cars are about small efficent motors and power to weight, GTO isn't

lets try once more.

RX8s,MAZDA SPEED 6S,350Zs dont fit these descriptions and are sports cars.

i wouldnt classify any of these cars as light weight,small or powerful. theyre not two seaters or soft tops. substituting "coupe" doesnt mean it isnt a sportscar.

so please. explain it to me again how they arent sports cars without pictures.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 11-15-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
lets try once more.

RX8s,MAZDA SPEED 6S,350Zs dont fit these descriptions and are sports cars.
They are kinda mass produced sports coupes. There is only one variant of them, no hatchbacks, no diesels, no saloon, no estate. They are purpose built.

And yeah compared to American cars they are lightweight. And a 350z is a 2 seater. Mazda Speed 6 I have no idea what this car is, so I won't even bother commenting on it.

Originally Posted by StreetLethal01
i wouldnt classify any of these cars as light weight,small or powerful. theyre not two seaters or soft tops. substituting "coupe" doesnt mean it isnt a sportscar.
Again they are lightweight compared to many, but I have hardly claimed these to be the exact definition of sports cars have I????

BTW - the 350z is both 2 seater and availble in soft top form.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

ill explain it again. in your original description of what a sports car is i gave numerous examples disproving that.
Nope, the only thing you proved was you had no understanding of the concept sports car and listed off a whole ream of

you agreed with some of what i said.
Nope I think you must have miss-read my posts.

you insist upon breaking down every single vehicle that might be clasified as a sports car and i dont GAS to analzye every vehicle you bring up. weather you like it or not ive disproved your original description of what you think a sports car is.
Hardly.

I mean I really don't understand why you are having such a hard time comprehending a simple concept.

If you don't believe go ask some auto magazines. Try Autocar magazine or something. They'll probably have a good laugh at your expense but don't take it personal.

Remember sports cars are a very British thing having really originated here. The Italians and Germans are also quite capable. And the Japanese have done what they always do and copied what was being done in Europe.

They made replica SU carbs and even made the original MX-5 make the exact same transmission whine as an MGB.

Mazda really understand the concept of sports cars. The new MX-5 (Miata) was designed to produce ZERO more grip than the previosu model. Why? Because its about the driving experience. It's an open top fun car, power and grip don't mean that much. Just a zesty engine and fun handling.

It may be Japanese, but in todays market the MX-5 is the BEST British sports car!!!!!!!

Go drive one then drive the cars you are claiming to be sports. You WILL see the difference.

you have a certain idea what a sports car is and im sorry i disagree.
Disagree by all means, but the truth is the truth.

and no an m5 is a luxury car. nice try at twisting your point but it didnt work.
Why, according to YOU any car which is about performance and handling is a sports car. The M5 (previous model) is pretty similar in dimensions to a Monaro (a GTO is a rebadged Monaro). And the Monaro was even pitched as a budget M5 over here.

Personally I don't consider the M5 a sports car, not even close. But according to your description it fits the bill 100%.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
So far in my life, I've always preferred driving a muscle car like an F-body over a sports car like a Vette. Muscle cars are larger, and I usually tend to like bigger cars better.

But eventually I'll likely have a sports car as well (Vette).
Sounds good to me.......I would consider my WS6 a modern day muscle car and the Z06 a sports car.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Nope, the only thing you proved was you had no understanding of the concept sports car and listed off a whole ream of

Nope I think you must have miss-read my posts.

Hardly.

I mean I really don't understand why you are having such a hard time comprehending a simple concept.

If you don't believe go ask some auto magazines. Try Autocar magazine or something. They'll probably have a good laugh at your expense but don't take it personal.

Remember sports cars are a very British thing having really originated here. The Italians and Germans are also quite capable. And the Japanese have done what they always do and copied what was being done in Europe.

They made replica SU carbs and even made the original MX-5 make the exact same transmission whine as an MGB.

Mazda really understand the concept of sports cars. The new MX-5 (Miata) was designed to produce ZERO more grip than the previosu model. Why? Because its about the driving experience. It's an open top fun car, power and grip don't mean that much. Just a zesty engine and fun handling.

It may be Japanese, but in todays market the MX-5 is the BEST British sports car!!!!!!!

Go drive one then drive the cars you are claiming to be sports. You WILL see the difference.

Disagree by all means, but the truth is the truth.

Why, according to YOU any car which is about performance and handling is a sports car. The M5 (previous model) is pretty similar in dimensions to a Monaro (a GTO is a rebadged Monaro). And the Monaro was even pitched as a budget M5 over here.

Personally I don't consider the M5 a sports car, not even close. But according to your description it fits the bill 100%.

after getting other opinions on this subject while my description might not be accurate yours isnt even close. ill just leave it at that.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

after getting other opinions on this subject while my description might not be accurate yours isnt even close. ill just leave it at that.
eh?

WTF is this then:

Is it

a) a rally car?
b) a saloon/sedan?
c) an estate/station wagon?
d) a hot hatch?
e) a Grand Tourer (GT)?
f) a muscle car?
g) a pony car?
h) an 18 wheeler?
i) a wheel barrow?
j) a sports car?
k) a luxuary coupe?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

eh?

WTF is this then:

Is it

a) a rally car?
b) a saloon/sedan?
c) an estate/station wagon?
d) a hot hatch?
e) a Grand Tourer (GT)?
f) a muscle car?
g) a pony car?
h) an 18 wheeler?
i) a wheel barrow?
j) a sports car?
k) a luxuary coupe?

its whatever you say man.

i'll say it again. theres vaious TYPES of sports cars for different purposes. coupes,sedans,rallys are all in the sports car categories. why is this hard to understand?

just because a luxury car has good power doesnt make it sportscar either. but you know that dont you?

next!

what pic. will you post next i wonder.

happy thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Staging Lane

I like to drive my 4gen F-Body because for me its Pony/Muscle and Sportscar unification in only one car
Old 11-23-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

its whatever you say man.

i'll say it again. theres vaious TYPES of sports cars for different purposes. coupes,sedans,rallys are all in the sports car categories. why is this hard to understand?
If you are using it as a general term then maybe, but that's like saying there are various types of muscle car, big ones, small ones, slow ones, 4 door, 2 door, V6, turbo S4, etc.

I guess it's just depends on how broad a term you are using.

happy thanksgiving.
Thanks, same to you.

Although I am rather ignorant of what thanks giving is. We don't celebrate it here in the UK.

What exactly is thanks giving?

Laters.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you are using it as a general term then maybe, but that's like saying there are various types of muscle car, big ones, small ones, slow ones, 4 door, 2 door, V6, turbo S4, etc.

I guess it's just depends on how broad a term you are using.

Thanks, same to you.

Although I am rather ignorant of what thanks giving is. We don't celebrate it here in the UK.

What exactly is thanks giving?

Laters.
we agree finally!

thanksgiving is a way of being thankful for what we have and we celebrate this with loved ones and family though they might not be the same thing. theres a little bit more to it it than that but thats the short version. its a day off too.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

American muscle all the way
Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

I may only be 24 but I don't consider any car built after '73 a "muscle car"...maybe i'm a bit oldschool at heart.

yes I know that most current stock cars are actually faster than the "muscle cars" of those days but my first car was a fully restored '68 Fastback that my dad and I did together and there is just something about driving those old '60s cars...it's the drving experience vs just going fast