General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Those that wrench on their own car

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have one of those huge truck jacks and i use a reguler jack to jack the car up first then i stick the truck jack underneath. all in my garage
Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we built my whole dame car "engine, tranny, and rearend" in my neighbors driveway. When we went to put the motor in i was too lazy to pull the cherry picker across the street so we hooked the motor up to my neighbors tow truck and used that to set it in the car...Now a days a do most of my work in the driveway and for the big stuff i use my bay with a nice 4 point lift at Toyota
Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

I live at home and turn ALL my own wrenches when it's possible. I just pull my car into the driveway out back and go to town with 2 jacks from various cars made for changing tires, 2 stands, and a cheap tool kit. lol.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4150
I usually wait until after 5:00 PM or on holidays when management isn't out on patrol to bust me, since managment and I usually work about the same hours it's worked out pretty well so far. I seriously hate having to dodge managment all the time.
Ha, I remember those days of dodging the apartment patrol! I used to lie to them and tell them that I was just "checking the oil" to buy some extra time. People always looked at me like I was some kind of a white-trash loser because I didn't take my car to "the shop". The looks that I would get when I was covered in grease in my apartment parking lot were priceless...
Old 11-14-2006, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

I built my blazer in a dirt floored bran from the 1800's , and that was b/c my dad didn't want oil in the floor of his huge 4 car garage which was only about 100 feet from the barn. after it was painted I put it toghter in my grandpas 40x60 shop. in the garage we have about every tool you might need to work on a car , but for the tool I don't have and the things I cant work on (due to lack of experiance ) I go to my dads friend speed shop where he hepls me out. mostly now I use the 4 car garage.

our 40x60 shop is almost done.

thanks danny for all the help over the years
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 car gargage, floor jack, 4 jack stands, hand tools. A lift would be great, I miss being in HS and being able to use the auto shop after school.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do it with a garage that wont fit the car and a gravel driveway. and a good set of tools and ari tools. LOL I would rather lay under my car on gravel then pay someone to work on it
Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

Garage is where i do all my own work. Figure if there is anything that can't be done with basic hand tools. then it is to major to do anyhow.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man and here I am thinking I'm one of the rare few that worked on my car in gravel driveways. I definitely prefer working on my own stuff.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,206 Posts

I work in my garage. Using ramps, jacks, jack stands, TONS of hand tools, etc., etc.

I do as much as I can with all my cars. Only outsourcing when I'm not comfortable doing the job myself.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTN_Z
Man and here I am thinking I'm one of the rare few that worked on my car in gravel driveways. I definitely prefer working on my own stuff.
yea i have done that b4 not to good on the back

Cant say that i have always had the right tool for the job ( i distinctly remember having to remove/ install a sbc water pump with an open end wrench) but i have enough to get me by on what i feel comfortable doing. I have a jack, a couple stands, and engine satnd... used to have a hoist , and lots of hand tools, and an electric impact just mainly for knocking wheels off.... the only tasks i have dealt off over the years would be interal trans work (like clutches and what not) and internal rearend... i was young and didnt wanna **** up my 12 bolt
Old 11-15-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

been there, done that...when i lived at home we didnt have a garage so all the work was done in our two car drive way. i used to be real big into the 4 wheel drive thing so ive done some crazy work in mud up to my knees, wedged between rocks, in rain and sleet. i joined the military, and had to work in the parking lot of our townhouse quite a bit. now i own my house that has a 2 car garage, and i enjoy wrenching on ALL my own ****. ive done more clutches than i can count on one hand just this summer...my T/A is starting to pick up pace with the go-fast-goodies, my roomates race car (74 nova) is almost done, and my third gen camaro is about to go under the knife. and rumor is my father-in-laws SBC s-10 is going going to have a new owner (me) this christmas, so thats one more project...

ive got 6 jackstands, two jacks, a little piece of **** 10 gal compressor from wally world with the basic air tools, and a growing selection of hand tools, and i think i gain some sort of specialty tool on every job i do...my tool collection is growing pretty rapidly...
Old 11-15-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ashish
How do you all do jobs like header install, transmission drops, rear-end installs. While being on the ground?

im halfway through the process right now doing it in the backyard.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
ive done it in the dirt "driveway" under the shade of a tree.
ive done it in a single car garage that wouldnt even let both doors open (you had to part to the side so you could get out)
ive done it in a apartment parkinglot
ive done it in a carport at a friends house 30+miles away (after being banned from the aforementioned apartment parkinglot)
LOL you make working on your car sound so dirty!
Old 11-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Me and a couple of my friends swapped my ls1 and transmission in my car without a lift. It was not the funnest thing in the world, but we got it done. Pictures on website in sig.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 560 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by uno
Jackstands on top of cinder blocks.
I work on my car myself as well - do everything under the sun aside from paint and body. The one thing I will NEVER do, however, is put my car up on cinder blocks. Do you have a death wish or something? Please, build some blocks out of 4x4's or something before you get killed. Those blocks are about as good as trying to hold your car up with Jello.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Launching!

Some of the stuff in this post is scary.

Anyways I use a floor jack and jack stands properly support my car on the driveway when I do general maintenance on my ride. For the more difficult or complex items I goto a DIY Garage that has hoists, jacks, stands, and anything that I need to work on my car an "git her done". And their rates are dirt cheap.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

This makes me feel spoiled. I work on my car at a dealership on Saturday's when they're not open. I have access to a lift and an air compressor. I couldn't imagine pulling a transmission on a gravel driveway.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

I work on my own car. I have a double car garage under my house where she sleeps, a 40x40 shop with all the goodies minus a lift, and a 30x30 garage where she spends the winter
Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
ive done it in the dirt "driveway" under the shade of a tree.
ive done it in a single car garage that wouldnt even let both doors open (you had to part to the side so you could get out)
ive done it in a apartment parkinglot
ive done it in a carport at a friends house 30+miles away
Amen... Sometimes you just have to do what it takes to keep your car on the road. I've even fixed my car on the side of the road right where it broke.