General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Those that wrench on their own car

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the last 11yrs ive done everything outside like most guys on all my vehicles. ive been renting a shop w/ 3 of my buddies for the last 3 months and finally my own 30x40x12 is being built. FINALLY!!! after its built, i think ill close all the doors, lock the line lock, and smoke it up because its mine and i can.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue98Z
after its built, i think ill close all the doors, lock the line lock, and smoke it up because its mine and i can.
Ahh always a good idea when youre looking to add that "car zone" feel to the place.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

we have a hoist room, a tool room, and a garage. we just got done putting a new engine in my 98. we do all of our work ourselves. i have been driving it for a couple weeks and everything went perfect. now we have started on the 01 camaro with a brand new engine buildup. if you have the option of having a lift i would definately not pass it up

Old 11-17-2006, 09:23 AM
uno
On The Tree

^^^^^^^^ must be nice. Hopefully one day I'll have something like that in a garage of my own.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

I do say I think this man has everyone beat. I dont see how cyc blocks will do you wrong as long as you set them the right way. For god sakes they set houses on them, I even seen a trailer with the hitch part resting on two cyc blocks and nothing else.

anyways to the man with the most ***** of them all.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have a small garage now, just big enough to fit the bird and my tools. This weekend I had to do a brake job on my 86 K10 out in the drive. Nothing like working outside in a gravel driveway with no air tools with a trouble light and a coleman lantern. Its not to bad when your young, but at 42 it sucks. I am putting in a 24 x 32 garage this spring and tearing down the little garage, I can't wait.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess I am lucky enough to have our main mechanics shop and then we built a shop at the house since after working at the main shop 40+ hours a week you just cant stand to be there any more even if it is tinkering on your ride.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Launching!

I was lucky to grow up in a service station. Access to everything and parts at cost. Rebuilt my first motor and blew it up before I had a driver's license. I still can do most everything in my garage with a jack, but prefer to take it to my brother and his 90X90 hanger w/ hoist, for the more serious stuff. For tires and wheel stuff, or serious diagnostics, I go to one of my uncles. One time I got lazy and asked my uncle to change my leaky a/c condensor... he pointed to the tool box and made me do it myself.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Gotta carport, concrete slab, compressor, and a good set of tools. Some jacks and stands as well.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Today was a special situation for me. I've been working on cars for about 13 years, and today I had to do something I never did before. Driveway repair during a major snowstorm. It was coming down about an inch per hour and I was working on my DD during it. Not fun.

I tried to leave for work today thinking I was ahead of the game. Got the snow cleared and pulled out 30 mins early. Then just before I get on the highway the car (bonneville) starts running like ****. So I pull into a gas station and it stalls out. I restart and get an SES light. Good, at least I can scan it now and get some quick ideas. So I limp it home, stalls out again. Get the scanner out, pull the code. P1406, EGR valve pintle position circuit. Makes sense that it needs a new valve, stock one is almost 11 years old, idle was for crap, and the wiring looked fine. So I take the wife's car to the dealer, get a new EGR valve, get home and start to work. By this time it's snowing HEAVY. Thankfully the motor was still warm so the snow was melting in the engine bay. Get the valve swapped out and test the motor. Runs perfect, so I clear the DTC and guess what? The snow stops! Yep, just as soon as I finish with everything the snow stops. Well I guess that's better than it still snowing anyway.

Can't complain. This car has been damn good to me. Hardly ever breaks, and this was an easy fix.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Today was a special situation for me. I've been working on cars for about 13 years, and today I had to do something I never did before. Driveway repair during a major snowstorm. It was coming down about an inch per hour and I was working on my DD during it. Not fun.

I tried to leave for work today thinking I was ahead of the game. Got the snow cleared and pulled out 30 mins early. Then just before I get on the highway the car (bonneville) starts running like ****. So I pull into a gas station and it stalls out. I restart and get an SES light. Good, at least I can scan it now and get some quick ideas. So I limp it home, stalls out again. Get the scanner out, pull the code. P1406, EGR valve pintle position circuit. Makes sense that it needs a new valve, stock one is almost 11 years old, idle was for crap, and the wiring looked fine. So I take the wife's car to the dealer, get a new EGR valve, get home and start to work. By this time it's snowing HEAVY. Thankfully the motor was still warm so the snow was melting in the engine bay. Get the valve swapped out and test the motor. Runs perfect, so I clear the DTC and guess what? The snow stops! Yep, just as soon as I finish with everything the snow stops. Well I guess that's better than it still snowing anyway.

Can't complain. This car has been damn good to me. Hardly ever breaks, and this was an easy fix.
I got to experiance the joy of working on cars in the snow last year. I do all my work in my dad's garage since I live in a apartment. When my girlfreinds truck breaks down though we do that in the driveway. Her truck breaks down all the time to being a Ford so eventually we got stuck in the snot doing a fuel pump. I'm getting a house this spring but it looks like its going to be a small one car garage Hopefully it will fit the TA and the tools at least. Biggest jackstand jobs so far have been a head/cam swap, clutch and stall in a C5.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

I do all my own wrenching in my garage at the house with no lift just jack stands
Old 12-01-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

I do all my own wrenching in my garage at the house with no lift just jack stands

My grandfather just built a 38x28 garage behind his house, with a 6" thick slab poured, and an Ibeam at the top of the ceiling, no rafters. We have a 2 ton chain hoist, and plans to install a 2 post lift sometime this winter. I cant wait. Best thing is, he had originally only had intentions to build it large enough for his small S10, but I got stories from my dad and aunts that he changed the plans(he used to be a master homebuilder, carpenter) to include the Ibeam and 6" slab once he knew I was buying the 'camaro. This winter, I will most likely move all of my tools, toolbox, chest, compressor, air tools, etc. over to his house and do all of my wrenching there (5 minutes away from my house).
Old 12-01-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do all my work in the driveway.

Hand-tools, ramps, and jackstands.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JASON11WS6
I got to experiance the joy of working on cars in the snow last year. I do all my work in my dad's garage since I live in a apartment. When my girlfreinds truck breaks down though we do that in the driveway. Her truck breaks down all the time to being a Ford so eventually we got stuck in the snot doing a fuel pump. I'm getting a house this spring but it looks like its going to be a small one car garage Hopefully it will fit the TA and the tools at least. Biggest jackstand jobs so far have been a head/cam swap, clutch and stall in a C5.
I remember once, about 25 years ago, working on a broken timing chain on my '71 Monte during snowstorm. Once I got the fan and shroud out I was able to climb in, pull down the hood, and replace the chain. I was young and thin then.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

i just go up to my work, pull out my key, open the door, drive my car in, unlock my tool box full of snap on and mac tools and use my hoist. did i mention i work in a full service repair shop. but i did put my cam in in my garage at home.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Auto Hobby Shop on base, or freinds garages when it is a little more involved. I am looking forward to getting to Atlanta, since my Apartment will have a car and a half garage.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

do most of my wrenching in my 2 car garage with jack stands. When the work is a little more involved I take it to my old high school and use the lifts in the auto shop.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I get one side of the garage and I do al the work to my car myself or with the help my dad every so often. Just a big tool box and air compressor, and heat . Pulled the motor myself last year and rebuilt.