General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

30 thousand

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1amit
Lol the guys with the 2002 f body's think theyre too good to drive their cars!
I gotta agree with Amit. I paid good money for this car to enjoy it, not to let time get to it before I do. Besides, by the time half of you people decide to ride your cars, there'll be a 2009 thats twice as nice. If you wanted to buy something to sit around, buy a $20000 painting.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
I gotta agree with Amit. I paid good money for this car to enjoy it, not to let time get to it before I do. Besides, by the time half of you people decide to ride your cars, there'll be a 2009 thats twice as nice. If you wanted to buy something to sit around, buy a $20000 painting.

I agree, I love to drive and once they find out whats wrong with my 75K mile car that kills it while cruising, I plan on doing MORE cruising
Old 11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,239 Posts

If you care for it properly, time won't get to it.

Anyway, who says the '09 will be better? Better is a subjective word in this context. I plan to have both.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Anyway, who says the '09 will be better? Better is a subjective word in this context. I plan to have both.

09 will have a better motor than the LS1 I assure you (by better I mean more refined and the same/more power).
Old 11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Caring for it will do the job if you drive it too.
And as for better, the only subjective aspect of how the 09 will be better is the look.
Drive the damn car. Buy A model to put on a shelf.
It's not going to become the next '69 camaro I promise.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
if you saw my car you may change your mind, its not MINT show, but I bet that if I detailed it professionally it wouldnt get sneered at at all!
Not knocking your car at all, I'm sure it does look great. All I'm saying is, there is no way, and I mean NO way that any high mileage daily driven car that has seen all sorts of weather and baked in the sun parked outside all day will be in the same sort of shape as a properly cared for garage queen. No matter how much you detail a 75K mile car, unless you do a minor restoration it's not going to match the condition of something like my car. I'm talking details here, not just glossy paint with no damage. I'd look at things like plastic lenses, glass, plactic/rubber trim, wheel wells, engine bay, undercarrige, etc. Also about the glass..... it's amazing how many scratches the windshield will pick up when the wiper blades are used regularly. You might not even realize it till you see one that's never had the wipers used.

My definition of "mint" is not what other people call mint. My car is in excellent condition, but still I can't even call that one mint. Actually I've never seen a street driven car that I can consider "mint". That term should be reserved for concourse gold trailered show cars.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Banned

Caring for it will do the job if you drive it too.
And as for better, the only subjective aspect of how the 09 will be better is the look.
Drive the damn car. Buy A model to put on a shelf.

No...**** just goes bad on cars no matter HOW you maintain it. Take mine, its been VERY WELL maintained yet it dies randomly while driving around, refused to start on occasion, and idles high or low at times. Perfect car in perfect shape as far as maintenance goes, its just getting old.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Who cares? You're still thinking this is about value and it's not, at least not for me. I like the car to stay in near-new condition for every drive. That's NOT going to happen if I drive it 20K miles a year. You can kid yourself all you want, but daily driven cars always show their age, no matter how well you care for them.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

Not knocking your car at all, I'm sure it does look great. All I'm saying is, there is no way, and I mean NO way that any high mileage daily driven car that has seen all sorts of weather and baked in the sun parked outside all day will be in the same sort of shape as a properly cared for garage queen. No matter how much you detail a 75K mile car, unless you do a minor restoration it's not going to match the condition of something like my car. I'm talking details here, not just glossy paint with no damage. I'd look at things like plastic lenses, glass, plactic/rubber trim, wheel wells, engine bay, undercarrige, etc. Also about the glass..... it's amazing how many scratches the windshield will pick up when the wiper blades are used regularly. You might not even realize it till you see one that's never had the wipers used.

My definition of "mint" is not what other people call mint. My car is in excellent condition, but still I can't even call that one mint. Actually I've never seen a street driven car that I can consider "mint". That term should be reserved for concourse gold trailered show cars.
Im not taking offense at all, but I think my car would shock you. You are right its not a true show-ready car, but it has one MINOR!!!!!!!!!! door ding that is easily fixed, it has 1 minor scratch on the front (could be covered by a quarter) and other than that its pretty much perfect, or as perfect as GM makes a car. Seriously, it looks DAMN GOOD inside and out. My friend has an 01 WS.6 that is my twin and it places VERY WELL in the shows she has entered it in. My car is cleaner than hers imho as well. And when/if I can fix it, I will once again take pride in ownership
Old 11-28-2006, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

09 will have a better motor than the LS1 I assure you (by better I mean more refined and the same/more power).
So what? The motor alone doesn't make a car "better". Peopls still like to own 1st gen F-cars even though a 4th gen is more refined in every way. They still have an appeal.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

I do the same with my 99 WS6, low milage 1000mi or so (to be accurate finished off with 1578kms) and Im happy with the amount it was taken out this yr/any typical year (once or twice a week). But yeah my buddies bug me about it, but I figure, how long SINCE a design like the WS6 has come along, and now....how long til it comes back!, no matter what, the Car still looks sick, and its 4 years since I bought it!.....kinda wished I had bought a lower mi car!!! it just passed 51,xxx kms...
Old 11-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Who cares? You're still thinking this is about value and it's not, at least not for me. I like the car to stay in near-new condition for every drive. That's NOT going to happen if I drive it 20K miles a year. You can kid yourself all you want, but daily driven cars always show their age, no matter how well you care for them.

THANKYOU. Your car isnt worth much, neither is mine, neither is any other non-limited edition F-body. Nor will it EVER be worth more than (or near most likely) what you payed for it. It is not exotic, it is not special. It is just like a F150, crown vic, mustang, whatever that cost @25-35K. Nothing you need to worry about, its almost like me taking a 05 crown vic and moth-balling it. It makes no sense, if you had something like a F360, a Viper, something like that, I could understand the OCD about the miles and that jazz, but come on, its an entry level V8 sports car that they made tens of thousands of. Get real.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

So what? The motor alone doesn't make a car "better". Peopls still like to own 1st gen F-cars even though a 4th gen is more refined in every way. They still have an appeal.
Okay, Ill trade you a V6 camaro with Z28 suspension and interior for your car, it will have less miles than yours too, deal?
Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing what I can to keep my LT1 under 100k, it's at 93k right now and sits in the garage. My 95 Neon dd is just about to turn 170k and everything is stock, now that's impressive lol
Old 11-28-2006, 12:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

THANKYOU. Your car isnt worth much, neither is mine, neither is any other non-limited edition F-body. Nor will it EVER be worth more than (or near most likely) what you payed for it. It is not exotic, it is not special. It is just like a F150, crown vic, mustang, whatever that cost @25-35K. Nothing you need to worry about, its almost like me taking a 05 crown vic and moth-balling it. It makes no sense, if you had something like a F360, a Viper, something like that, I could understand the OCD about the miles and that jazz, but come on, its an entry level V8 sports car that they made tens of thousands of. Get real.
Who said anything about mothballs? My car sees the road once a week or so during the on-season.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Okay, Ill trade you a V6 camaro with Z28 suspension and interior for your car, it will have less miles than yours too, deal?

I don't get your point?

What I'm trying to say is, no matter what new cars hit the road, plenty of hobbiests still like there old stuff, mostly for appearance and nostalgia.

I'm not the type that ditches a car just because something "new and improved" is on the road.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

One other thing I should mention about my particular situation. I have a very long daily commute (75 miles round trip, mostly highway). My daily drivers get pelted with all sorts of road debris and rocks from dump trucks, etc., at high speeds. The paint and glass are constantly getting chipped and scratched. Then there's the salt. Ever seen a car from the Chicago area after being driven through 5-6 winters on the highway? They look like crap. The highspeed salt spray gets into every area of the car and slowly destroys it. I don't care how much wax you use, salt KILLS.

So for me, to daily drive a car and keep it in excellent condition is not possibile.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Im not taking offense at all, but I think my car would shock you. You are right its not a true show-ready car, but it has one MINOR!!!!!!!!!! door ding that is easily fixed, it has 1 minor scratch on the front (could be covered by a quarter) and other than that its pretty much perfect, or as perfect as GM makes a car. Seriously, it looks DAMN GOOD inside and out. My friend has an 01 WS.6 that is my twin and it places VERY WELL in the shows she has entered it in. My car is cleaner than hers imho as well. And when/if I can fix it, I will once again take pride in ownership
I gotta ask... how do you get a door ding on a plastic door?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of you seem to think that those of us with low miles never drive our cars but like once a month or so. But this isn't true. I drive my car 2 or 3 times a week, and love every second of it. But I won't use this car for a daily driver because of the same reasons RPM WS6 stated. You are exposed to all kinds of rocks and sand and other things that vehicles throw, and I don't want to make a 60 to sometimes 100 mile commute everyday in my car. It's just impossible to keep a car as nice as mine is when you drive it in those conditions everyday.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And also, I'm not looking at the miles from a money/what is it worth standpoint. What I'm going to get out of it if I sell it doesn't have anything to do with me wanting to have low miles. I love this car, I love how good of condition the car is in, and I love how it has low miles. Its almost a pride thing I guess.