General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

30 thousand

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006 | 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lucas'02SS
And also, I'm not looking at the miles from a money/what is it worth standpoint. What I'm going to get out of it if I sell it doesn't have anything to do with me wanting to have low miles. I love this car, I love how good of condition the car is in, and I love how it has low miles. Its almost a pride thing I guess.
I suppose I could understand this the most. (not that I agree %100, I just understand). But I must say, it would just be a shame to have the car for 5 years and only get 10k miles out of it.
Old 11-28-2006 | 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Trust
Yea I hated rolling over to 147k 2 weeks ago!
I have 185,000 KMS.....approx 110,000 Miles.
Old 11-28-2006 | 07:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

And also, I'm not looking at the miles from a money/what is it worth standpoint. What I'm going to get out of it if I sell it doesn't have anything to do with me wanting to have low miles. I love this car, I love how good of condition the car is in, and I love how it has low miles. Its almost a pride thing I guess.

Exactly.
Old 11-28-2006 | 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I gotta ask... how do you get a door ding on a plastic door?

Well....if you read my statement I said "A door ding" meaning FROM a door...not ON a door, it is just aft of the door Lol, yeah, the only damn metal part of my car...dinged, lol.

As to the getting hit by road debris, im not going to talk about my car b/c they always say the first chip hurts the worst when it comes to windshields and I belive in Karma, lol.

Yeah, I have heard salt is HELL!
Old 11-28-2006 | 07:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
Yeah, I have heard salt is HELL!
Salt is as bad for cars as smoking is for people. Salt (smoking) leads to rust/corrosion (cancer).

There should be a warning issued from the Surgeon General about road salt.
Old 11-28-2006 | 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am absolutely dreading this winter, i have no winter vehicle and barely any money to afford another car, not to mention no where to put it! This winter is going to suck-i'll be slipping around and wishing i could rewind the miles on the odomoter, i bought the car (99) with 21K on it, and its very close to comming on 23. This is so depressing. I need a beater, and quick.
Old 11-28-2006 | 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 4 cars...Well actually 2 cars, 1 truck and one wanna be truck I call a cruck. Just to drive my Z I need to pull 2 other vehicles out of my driveway so it needs to be a special occasion.

My new daily driver is 300 HP so I don't need to drive my Z all the time. I spend a lot of money and time working on it, keeping it perfect. This year I decided to sound deaden the whole thing and replace the crap factory system. I've been working on that for 2+ months just taking my time and only working on the weekend. I may get it out one more time before winter sets in but she really is only a 2 season car. Late spring to early fall. It's still my favorite car though and the only one that gets the garage!
Old 11-28-2006 | 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CockerKid009
i am absolutely dreading this winter, i have no winter vehicle and barely any money to afford another car, not to mention no where to put it! This winter is going to suck-i'll be slipping around and wishing i could rewind the miles on the odomoter, i bought the car (99) with 21K on it, and its very close to comming on 23. This is so depressing. I need a beater, and quick.
Before I could afford nicer daily drivers, I used to spend about $350-800 every winter getting a beater to last till spring. Some even lasted the whole year with just a couple hundered $$$ in work.

If you could pull together $500-1000, you should be able to get something to last the winter.
Old 11-28-2006 | 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
I have 4 cars...Well actually 2 cars, 1 truck and one wanna be truck I call a cruck. Just to drive my Z I need to pull 2 other vehicles out of my driveway so it needs to be a special occasion.
I'm in your position (4 cars). One car for the wife, my "old" daily driver (Bonneville), my "new" daily driver (Monte SS), and the toy (Z28). Same as you I have to reshuffle the whole driveway to get the Camaro out of the garage. All the others sit outside, makes access real easy.

I need to add a truck to my collection as well. But I also need to save money for the new Camaro when it comes out.
Old 11-28-2006 | 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got my 98 formula in 01 with 52,000 now I'm sitting at 176,000. Stock motor, tranny. New clutch and new bearings, seals, and 1 used shaft in the rear end. No leaks, still don't burn oil either.
Old 11-28-2006 | 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
I suppose I could understand this the most. (not that I agree %100, I just understand). But I must say, it would just be a shame to have the car for 5 years and only get 10k miles out of it.
Well I can see where you are coming from. I know some guys around here with amazingly nice f-body's, and their cars see the street once every few months. A little more every now and then. That blew my mind. Like I said I have it out a couple times a week if its nice. I will probably have put about 6K miles on it this year.
Old 11-28-2006 | 11:09 PM
Banned

Well I can see where you are coming from. I know some guys around here with amazingly nice f-body's, and their cars see the street once every few months. A little more every now and then. That blew my mind. Like I said I have it out a couple times a week if its nice. I will probably have put about 6K miles on it this year.

My WS.6 is a DD. Very nice and in good shape, but its only a 12-15K car and I like it so I drive it. If I wanted a show car I would have gotten a 69 Camaro and fully restored it and a 86 civic and driven it, lol.
Old 11-29-2006 | 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

But my car isn't a daily driver. I paid well over $20K for my car in perfect condition, and since it doesn't have to be my DD, I plan on keeping it in that condition. I drive it when it's nice, or when I'm in a really good mood and feel like a drive, or for a club meet or a date or something. I don't see anything negative in that. My car is car show quality, and I like it that way.
Old 11-29-2006 | 01:05 AM
Banned

But my car isn't a daily driver. I paid well over $20K for my car in perfect condition, and since it doesn't have to be my DD, I plan on keeping it in that condition. I drive it when it's nice, or when I'm in a really good mood and feel like a drive, or for a club meet or a date or something. I don't see anything negative in that. My car is car show quality, and I like it that way.

If you have the $$ to do it, its fine, but its the people who dont have the $$ that bitch about having to drive it every day (not counting winter/salt) that are kinda annoying imho. Its a car, DRIVE IT!
Old 11-29-2006 | 02:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I bet I get as many looks with my 140K ride as any of you do with your sub 20K rides. More in fact, because I'm out more for people to see it! I've never understood the mentality behind not driving a car. Do you make a great looking sandwich just to set it on the table and stare at it? Hell no! Yeah, these cars are great, keep some of them in pristine shape. Once you hit 20k or so, however, it's not going to make them that much more valuable than a 40K or 60K. Seems like some people are afraid their cars will fall apart with some miles on them. My car had 50K on it in the first TWO YEARS. Apparently someone liked driving it as much as me! I put on 12K in 8 months. I'm going to drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. To each their own, in my opinion it's just a waste.
75k here. i bought the car because i dreamed of driving it, not staring at it. i had my ls7 clutch broken in within a week just so i could feel that sweet sweet second gear kick sideways again.ill purposely overshoot my home exit just so i can spend a little more time with her cruising the streets.
Old 11-29-2006 | 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
If you have the $$ to do it, its fine, but its the people who dont have the $$ that bitch about having to drive it every day (not counting winter/salt) that are kinda annoying imho. Its a car, DRIVE IT!
I've managed to afford a daily driver + whatever performance car I've owned at the time since I was in highschool (10+ years ago). It's really not that hard, a cheap beater can be had for under $1000 that'll get someone through a winter.

I still find it amusing that some of you guys seem to think you can't have fun with a car unless it gets driven 15K miles per year. I don't get that at all. My car is usually on the road at least every other weekend during the nice weather months, unless it's raining. It goes to cruise events, club events, car shows, or just a nice weather drive. What's not fun about that?

Again about the value thing, it doesn't matter to me if the car is worth $5000 or $50,000, I keep it in perfect shape not because it's an investment (it's not) but because it makes me feel good to own/drive a car in this sort of condition. I look forward to driving it every nice weekend during the summer, and it's always a fun/special experiance. I don't see what's so wrong about that?
Old 11-29-2006 | 05:48 AM
Teching In

i just hit 67k on my 02, but its a daily driver
Old 11-29-2006 | 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thingthatgoes
It's not going to become the next '69 camaro I promise.
oh well. i just enjoy seeing clean low mile, near stock cars driving around. i had a 95 t/a vert. it had 38k on it when i got it in late 01. there were 3 other t/as at my school that imo wouldve been cleaner looking than mine if babied like mine, a sebring silver 96 and a chameleon 95. mine always looked the best though. it was kept rediculously clean, but even when the other two got spruced up, they had near double my miles and you could just see it. also the shine and luster, and the look it recieved for that shine that no other car in the lot had was worth it to me. to each his own. i dont enjoy driving it everyday, takes the fun out of it, doesnt make it as special to me. also, i need my truck for most of the things i do and places i go so it makes sense for me to not drive it everyday.
Old 11-29-2006 | 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

[ I look forward to driving it every nice weekend during the summer, and it's always a fun/special experiance. I don't see what's so wrong about that?[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. It is special to drive it once in awhile to really appreciate it, and the experience. When it is just a routine, driving them around every day, you tend to lose that 'magic'. I completely understand if you do NOT have a choice and this is your only car (been there, done that many years ago with some really decent cars) but when given the opportunity you can really enjoy these babies on special occasions. I have just under 7,000 miles on my '01 T/A vert which sees only sunny summer skies, mostly rides in the north GA mountains or on the Blue Ridge PKWY. My '96 Formula averaged 4,000 a year which I found too much! To each his own.
Old 11-29-2006 | 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Today, Sunday the 26th of November, 2006, at 10:34 a.m., my beautiful car hit 30,000 miles. I was sad to see it happen. I've always been proud of the low miles on my baby, and I know they are still relatively low for an '02, but I still cringed as I watched it roll over.
STFU SWAN!!!!

I watched my 02' roll over 82,000 miles....... talk about a sick feeling, i bought it 2 years ago with 40k