General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

sports package / rs kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006 | 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Default sports package / rs kit

If I take my sport package off, will I have to buy something to put in place of it, or what? cause I would rather take it off, get some stock springs, cause I dont' want any clearance issues with headers..
Old 12-04-2006 | 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Im pretty sure the RS kit has stock springs just has a body kit, but you could take it off, but I would be worried about uneven fading of the paint where it used to be.
Old 12-04-2006 | 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have the rs sport package on my Z. they come with the same springs that every other Z28 comes with.

I have headers on mine, with the stock spings and they dont rub at all. mine are mids, but with longtubes i dont imagine they would be much lower. maybe an inch lower then mine sit, if that.
Old 12-04-2006 | 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

opps.. I know the sport package came with stock springs.. but mine has been lowered.. REALLY LOW.. I was just saying I wanted to take off the kit and get stock springs so I won't have clearance problems with headers..

sorry didn't mean to confuse..
Old 12-04-2006 | 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

o ok.
many people around the board here have lowered cars with headers. some sets hang a little bit lower then others. if i were you i would pick out the set of headers you want and head over to the external engine section and see what headers have a tendency to rub with lowering springs. but if you want to take them off, im sure there are plenty of people around here that would be willing to trade their stockers and some cash for what you have.

Also i dont understand what you mean when talking about how the rs kit is going to make the headers rub anymore then a Z without the body kit. the kit is NOT going to effect in any way if the headers rub or not. with or without lowering springs.
Old 12-04-2006 | 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

I know the kit has nothing to do with the headers/lowering.. again sorry to confuse.. I want to take off my kit, but I wanted to know if all I had to do was unbolt or what not and just take them off with out any problems..
Old 12-04-2006 | 03:35 AM
TECH Regular

my car came with an rk sport body kit and the first thing i did was take it off. if they are simiar there should be no holes when you remove it, the kit mounted from underneath and with double sided tape
Old 12-04-2006 | 05:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the RS "Sport Appearance" package on my Z28 and they are held on with 10MM bolts I believe all along the bottom of each skirt and into each wheel well. However there are some brackets that are riveted into the rocker which would need to be removed. You can simply drill out the rivets and remove the bracket but you will have many holes in the rocker panel. I plan on removing mine in the spring but have not decided what to do with the holes. Let me know what you plan on doing. I have taken the ground effects off before and its a simple 15 minute job.
Old 12-04-2006 | 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Okay, so it can be taken off easy? I might do that later today. Anyone have a pic of a car with out the kit but with the spoiler that comes with it? I might go ahead and get a SS spoiler if the rs spoiler looks odd..
Old 12-04-2006 | 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Removal of the side skirts is easy. The previous owner of my car removed the front parts so I cannot comment on that. I have not removed the rear portion but just from looking underneath it should be removed in similar fashion as the sides. There is a video on ls1sounds.com of a white Z28 with the spoiler only. Here is a link:

http://ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/magna...2cam_01Z28.wmv

I think it looks good.
Old 12-04-2006 | 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

mines lowered at least 2 inches not sure they were on the car when I got it but ive owned 2 other LS1 f bodies and its gotta be at least 2 inches, I have LT's and I only scrap on the Y pipe but the stock Y pipe scraped anyways on mine, so if your not scraping now you should be good to go....