General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Muscle Car Wars

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by crazboy99
the sound of an electric motor would suck....i like my gas powered engines better....
This is why I'm opposed to electric performance cars. Part of the experiance is in the sound of the motor and exhaust. Also, I doubt that any electric motor could give the same feeling of "grunt" that a gas motor can.

I'll stick with gas, so long as the option is still avaliable.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually, electric motors make all their power from the beginning, so the right electric motor would give quite a bit more "grunt"
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Teching In

yup, a new era of muscle cars is emerging from the monsters of the past.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

wtf. what is this guy talkin about? electric motors. wtf. maybe you got an electric motor in that POS that you call a car. I don't really understand why you even post comments on this website. what part of ls1 did you not understand. get the f*** outta here.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMKDFRD
wtf. what is this guy talkin about? electric motors. wtf. maybe you got an electric motor in that POS that you call a car. I don't really understand why you even post comments on this website. what part of ls1 did you not understand. get the f*** outta here.
Watch it bro. You don't have to own an LS1 to participate/enjoy this board. Most people on here are very accepting of any car enthusiast and we even have moderators that own Mustangs, including Nine Ball (Tony) who got the board running in the first place. We don't need a newbie chewing out someone who doesn't drive a GM vehicle and giving the others on here a bad name. Thanks.

Back on topic.
I love seeing the big 3 fighting for cars with the most power! (Although they aren't really the big 3 anymore) haha. And I'll fight for my rights to drive these cars if it comes down to it, I don't think it will though.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by SMKDFRD
Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Teching In

i think he is saying that electric motors are capable of supplying surprising amount of torque... there is a lot of research going into them and have been used in quite a few concept sports cars.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:31 AM
***Repost Police***

Yeah... electric motors don't have to "rev" to get to their optimum torque output. As soon as it starts, it's there. I don't know wtf that guy's problem was, lol.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
actually, electric motors make all their power from the beginning, so the right electric motor would give quite a bit more "grunt"
Either way, no thanks. I'll stick to my gas motors.

I really don't have any interest in giving electric a chance.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:02 AM
***Repost Police***

Oh, neither do I... BUT, if it happens, the performance guys won't be left high and dry, atleast.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I can see what you're saying. I know I've read that a company built a supercar with an electric motor to see if they could, and it was dang fast. You can buy them now, but it's like $150K. I've also read that electric has a lot of potential to be really fast, but still......something about it just doesn't feel right. It's like, yeah they can be fast like those tall, lanky sprinters, but they just lack that raw muscle that you get from a gas powered car.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Well, most of the cars coming out I wouldn't even be able to afford to finance and I don't think I'll lease a motor I'm running at the track. Some awesome stuff is coming out... Once the new Challenger sells like crazy, they're gonna probably release the Chevelle again. Next gen GTO is gonna look alot better bodywise and probably alot more powerful. They're coming out w/ a Covette Stingray which is a Z06 w/ a blower. The Firebird will definately follow the Camaro. I'm sure a newer Mustang Cobra will come out to compete as well. But again, these things will cost enough to put me in a cardboard box...
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't heard anything about a Chevelle, and to clarify, they are going to call the Vette a Blue Devil. A new 'bird would be nice, but I don't know that I see it happening. And I think the Cobra might be done as well. Cobra was built by SVT, and Ford closed that branch of the company. I mean they could still do it, sure, but I think the GT500 is the new Cobra.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry too much about oil disappearing in our lifetime unless it's the result of legislation. IMO there's even legislation enacted to help support oil. The new congress is the first to motion for cut subsidies for oil extraction to help regional producers compete with OPEC. We may have used up a little over half of the world's oil reserves but there's as much or more oil that can be extracted from oil bearing shale than there ever was liquid petro. It's thought that there's enough oil in shale to supply the world for a couple of centuries, and the good news is that bout 90 percent of it lies in North America. "The total declared reserves are 701 billion barrels"- that's liquid petro as compared to shale- "The United States Energy Information Administration estimates the world supply of oil shale at 2.6 trillion barrels of recoverable oil, 1.0-1.2 trillion barrels of which are in the United States."- "In late 2005, President Bush authorized discrete mining of federally owned reserves...The federal government currently owns 72% of all known oil shale in the US."- Wikipedia. That puts the recoverable oil from shale that's federally owned at equivalent or more of that of the estimated total liquid petrol reserves! The reason it hasn't been developed is it's expensive to extract; the market has to see about a sustainable $40 per barrel just to break even. And when you compare that to the estimated cost of $2 to extract traditional petro you can see why oil companies prefer liquid petro reserves. The infrastructure is being vested in Canada as we speak. With the Middle East stripping their reserves and third worlds developing increasing the demand for oil, in the future Canada and the US will become the worlds energy brokers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-conventional_oil

Last edited by greysteel_M6; 01-18-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's what I've been reading a lot lately. Of course you wouldn't hear it from the "sky is falling tree huggers". I get so mad, but almost find it funny that the political left spread all of this "information" about how we have passed peak oil and are running out, blah blah blah. But just read the information above....I've read it over and over the last year or so. We're going to be fine when it comes to oil! It makes me happy