General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New Fuel Pump For Me

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Fuel Pump For Me

Well, looks like its the fuel pump. I swapped relays with my AC unit (they were the same numbering ect.) and it still cuts out on me. Going up hills and on right-hand turns most of the time. Anyways, it died on me near the house so I got out and turned the key to "run" and pushed in on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Nothing. After 10 minutes it cranked (banging on the tank ect. was no help, it cranked when my dad started to push it and I tried once more). I drove to the house, shut it down, removed the cam, pushed in the schrader valve, and it pissed all over the place. Definitely a fuel-issue that killed it back there. Fuel filter is either clogged or its not. I belive the fuel pump is bad. Any observations/help/ect? (oh, if it matters it has better than a half tank of gass and had 4/5 tank when this started).
Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

When it's hard to start, can you hear the fuel pump priming at all?
Old 01-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
When it's hard to start, can you hear the fuel pump priming at all?
No. There is no pressure in the rail either apparently.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
No. There is no pressure in the rail either apparently.
First, did you change the fuel filter just for the hell of it? It's cheap and easy, I'd do that just to be sure. Seriously.

If not the filter, then it's probably either the pump that's bad, OR, you have an electrical power/ground interrupt issue to the pump. I know you tested the relay, but it could also be a wiring issue. Checking wiring is a pain in the *** though.....
Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 588 Likes on 466 Posts

That just happened to my mom's car. Ran a Tech 2 scan on it and it was adding a lot of fuel so I figured it was the pump. Replaced the pump and all is well. If I were you, I would check the wiring going to the sending unit. My old LT1 Formula had a bad connection there and would shut my car off randomly. Nothing was wrong with the pump.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
That just happened to my mom's car. Ran a Tech 2 scan on it and it was adding a lot of fuel so I figured it was the pump. Replaced the pump and all is well. If I were you, I would check the wiring going to the sending unit. My old LT1 Formula had a bad connection there and would shut my car off randomly. Nothing was wrong with the pump.

Where/what/how? I have already swapped the relay.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
First, did you change the fuel filter just for the hell of it? It's cheap and easy, I'd do that just to be sure. Seriously.

If not the filter, then it's probably either the pump that's bad, OR, you have an electrical power/ground interrupt issue to the pump. I know you tested the relay, but it could also be a wiring issue. Checking wiring is a pain in the *** though.....
How do I check wiring to the pump? No, fuel filter isnt clogged 100% one second and flowing like mad the next. I couldnt get another WIX and I had a Purolator that I purchased. I just left the WIX in there.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also a fuse for the fuel pump in the other fuse box (not the one that has the relay) its a 20a fuse I think, try that first. Mine came loose and I had the same problem.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust
There is also a fuse for the fuel pump in the other fuse box (not the one that has the relay) its a 20a fuse I think, try that first. Mine came loose and I had the same problem.
I will physically verify its condition.

*done. It was in place, tight, and in good shape.

Last edited by BLKWS.6; 01-14-2007 at 05:09 PM.