General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Driving the camaro back to OH in snow, Advise????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving the camaro back to OH in snow, Advise????

Ok, so im picking up my car from Pittsburg PA this Saturday and driving it back to Cleveland OH, its supposted to be snowing lake effect i think on the return trip when i get near my house, any suggestions on winter driving since i've never driven a light, RWD, V8, manual in the winter? Should i add about 100+ lbs. over the rear end with sandbags???? THX....

BTW the tires are brand new, but they are like water traction tread on Z06 rims, not sure how these are gonna be in snow , damn it, frikin snow...
Old 01-19-2007, 02:57 AM
TECH Regular

my advice is don't do it
have the car shipped wait for the storm to pass, whatever, you don't want your first drive in a 300 HP 3400 LB Rear drive car to be in the snow. I'll drive my car to the store and back in the snow, but not from PA to OH. So take it slow, and when it starts going sideways (and it will) just look where you want to go and don't touch the pedals, just hover your feet above the brake and the clutch incase you get really sideways (your "oh crap i don't want to die" feeling will tell you when it's REALLY sideways) your hands will take you where your eyes are looking.
I'd suggest that before you leave you find a parking lot and practice sliding around and doing power slides and donuts for three reasons
1) It's fun
2) It'll teach you how going side ways feels and how to not wreck
3) If you do wreck you'll wreck in the parking lot at 20-30 mph and not on the highway at 50-60 mph
Sorry for such a long post
Congrats on the new LS1, have fun and start modding
AJ
Old 01-19-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man we are getting a foot of snow by Saturday afternoon, don't do it. I would use your truck, rent a trailer at Uhaul and tow it back, if you can't wait a few days for the roads to clear.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

if your on straight flat roads you'll be okay. Some extra weight will help, but not that much. i drive my car all year round in north east pa. The hills is what gets you cause you need to use momentum to get up them, but if your going to fast, when you get up to the top, you might not be able to slow down enough for the turn. On the flip side, if you do to slow and have to give it to much gas, the rear will break loose and kick out to one side of the other. So, its not easy or safe, I haven't had any miss haps but I have a lot of practice driving in snow with rwd. If you on all flat roads, just watch out for giving it to much gas, its really easy to spin the tires at any speed in any gear.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ExplodingGopher
any suggestions on winter driving since i've never driven a light, RWD, V8, manual in the winter?
First of all, learn how to use periods. You see that little dot I just used? It's a period. It comes at the end of a sentence. Honestly, I learned how to use one in the second grade. If you're asking for help/advice, the least you can do is make it easy to read.

With that out of the way, if you have poor traction, use a higher gear. Shift lower in the RPM range, like at only 2000. High gears are good. Go easy on the throttle.

Don't break while turning, if at all possible. Make sure you are going slow enough to make the turn without having to apply your breaks while turning the wheel. [EDIT: And, when you are turning, it might be a good thing to have it in neutral or ride the clutch.] If you have to use your breaks, tap them instead of applying constant pressure, if at all possible.

Also, down shift when slowing. This will lessen the amount of pressure you will have to apply to your break. That's a good thing.

You should be fine. I'm sure weight in the back wouldn't hurt, but I never add any.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Launching!

I drove my 96 M6 Formula for a few winters back in Toledo Oh. I had some snow tires on and some sandbags in the back and it was fine. Just take it easy.
Where about in Cleveland are you? I live in Lakewood. Always nice to see a new LT1 owner
Old 01-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Teching In

I learned to drive in the snow with a '68 GTO, 4 wheel drum brakes. So here's my advice:

Patience, no sudden moves, momentum is not your friend, stay on well travelled and hopefully well attended to roads.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just take your time, and the more traveled roads are guaranteed to be better taken care of (at least most of the time). Better to make it in triple the time than wreck on the way home. If you start to slide, don't panic and over compensate, just get off the pedals and use small steering wheel movements to straighten it out, then some easy touch braking to slow it down a little. I did the parking lot thing a few times, it's damn fun, although I'd hate to explain to a cop because around here I don't think they'd care what my reasoning was. Good luck and wash all that crap off the car when you get home

-J
Old 01-19-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sharpe
First of all, learn how to use periods. You see that little dot I just used? It's a period. It comes at the end of a sentence. Honestly, I learned how to use one in the second grade. If you're asking for help/advice, the least you can do is make it easy to read.

With that out of the way, if you have poor traction, use a higher gear. Shift lower in the RPM range, like at only 2000. High gears are good. Go easy on the throttle.

Don't break while turning, if at all possible. Make sure you are going slow enough to make the turn without having to apply your breaks while turning the wheel. [EDIT: And, when you are turning, it might be a good thing to have it in neutral or ride the clutch.] If you have to use your breaks, tap them instead of applying constant pressure, if at all possible.

Also, down shift when slowing. This will lessen the amount of pressure you will have to apply to your break. That's a good thing.

You should be fine. I'm sure weight in the back wouldn't hurt, but I never add any.
yea it's "brake," not "break"

Anyways, patience is the key...keep your foot out of the throttle. If you have to drive incredibly slow, so be it; that's why you have hazard lights. If you find yourself plodding along at 30 MPH, flip them on and turn on some music, because I think you'd rather add a few extra hours driving rather than putting your car in a ditch, or into another car because you felt it improper to drive your all-mighty V8 slowly

EDIT: A nice little saying that came to mind about our cars in the winter is "F-bodies don't suck in the winter, their drivers do"
Old 01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Smoke Panther
yea it's "brake," not "break"
Gah! I knew it looked wrong, but at 9 a.m. I was out of it. Duh.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like they got you covered....just make sure you wash the bitch right when you get home
Old 01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be more specific on what kind of tires you have. If they are summer performance tires don't do it. It will be the trip from hell.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

This should be #1 on any list for driving in snow, especially in Cleveland. Invest in snow tires if you are going to drive in the snow. They make them for a reason. With a limited slip and snow tires you'll have no problems at all in anything but the deepest snow. I drove Grand Nationals for years in winters in NW Ohio and never had any problems. If your short on cash just get the rears but I highly recommend all 4. They will also grip better on any ice that you will come across. Generally with snow tires you will also get a skinnier tire. That way you'll have more weight on a smaller area.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96blkform

I drove my 96 M6 Formula for a few winters back in Toledo Oh. I had some snow tires on and some sandbags in the back and it was fine. Just take it easy.
Where about in Cleveland are you? I live in Lakewood. Always nice to see a new LT1 owner
Thx, i'm in Eastlake which is about 10 minutes East of Cleveland. I think i'll be ok, i borrowed two 60# weights from work to use. I'm not so worried about PA, its the return trip when i get near home with lake effect snow, but the drive time in that weather should be minimum. I'll take my time and be safe, and i'll let everyone know if i made it ok tomarrow night. Then wash and car cover. The stang gets the garage until i get a storage unit.

I dont think these will be good snow tires FYI this is the ONE AND ONLY time this car will ever see/drive in snow:

Last edited by ExplodingGopher; 01-19-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

It take slow. I picked my formy in NY in the middle of DEC. and My advice is take the interstate where everyone drives on. Didn't have any problems what so ever and I'm from the south. Average about 45-50mph from NY to Tenn.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

The roads have been in decent shape thus far, I live about 45 miles SE of Cleveland.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ExplodingGopher
Thx, i'm in Eastlake which is about 10 minutes East of Cleveland. I think i'll be ok, i borrowed two 60# weights from work to use. I'm not so worried about PA, its the return trip when i get near home with lake effect snow, but the drive time in that weather should be minimum. I'll take my time and be safe, and i'll let everyone know if i made it ok tomarrow night. Then wash and car cover. The stang gets the garage until i get a storage unit.

I dont think these will be good snow tires FYI this is the ONE AND ONLY time this car will ever see/drive in snow:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6...Gopher/1aa.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6...Gopher/2aa.jpg
Pretty good job with the periods. Thanks.

Looks like you chose a great car. Funny thing is, I bought my first F-Body ('94 Z28 M6, white with black/ red cloth) for a great price in Cleveland.

BUT, what the Hell kind of 'Stang would get the garage while the poor Z has to sit out in the cold?! What is it, a 2007 Cobra or a '67 Shelby GT500 or something?! J/K. Have fun with it when the weather clears!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sharpe
BUT, what the Hell kind of 'Stang would get the garage while the poor Z has to sit out in the cold?! What is it, a 2007 Cobra or a '67 Shelby GT500 or something?! J/K. Have fun with it when the weather clears!
-1996 Camaro Z28 M6, LT1, T-tops
-1999 Ram Sport 1500 4x4, lifted, 5.2L
-1991 Mustang, 466ci built big block swap, weekend street car
Old 01-20-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

i wouldnt chance driving it. even if youre fine driving in bad weather, there are stupid people out there who arent. hell, i live 5 minutes from my work and it snowed and iced the roads the other night, and some ******* still managed to come across three lanes and hit me, and we were doin 20 mph each goin opposite directions. id say wait or ship it...my $.02

-cam
Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

I made it, the roads were dry and it was sunny .... But, lol, my first chevy and already having problems with the throttle sticking, possibly due to melted wires on the traction control module (near header) which im replacing. Someone stole two of my center caps on my Z06 rims while i was at the parts store (car was at home) Other than that, the factory stereo kicks *** and im pretty happy i guess.

Im tired as hell now.

This is the car that gets the garage:

Last edited by ExplodingGopher; 01-20-2007 at 09:43 PM.