General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ls1s vs evos

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months a go I held off a newer EVO VIII from a 50-110+ race by about a car and a half in a totally stock '99 A4 T/A.

After I installed my lid I raced an EVO IX from a 35, I spun like **** on th hit but started pulling him in pretty quickly after I caught. However, I hear he has problems with his MIVEC system so I wouldn't be too surprised if he took out my TA with his car working properly.

Evo's are pretty damn fast, but I'd still rather have an 04-05 STi.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
That makes no sense b/c if his car has a catback and is tuned to have higher boost its not stock.... if it puts 245 down stock how is that going to beat a 310 HP car from a roll? track it would be close b/c of different variables

then you didnt read my post carefully enough.. i said when we raced or i put in parentheis's (with 310awhp)...

never had a chance to run him stock because they day he drove the car home, the catback was waiting in the garage and he tuned it the same night.. but i have ran my other friends in stock form.. and yes i can pull them in 3rd thanks to my 4.11's

yeah 26%.. that is from the manufacturer (he is a JDM ***** and is a moderator on EVOM website).. tell him its because of the transmission mounting and the AWD that eats up a lot of the power.. Skylines also have roughly the same drivetrain loss.. AWD and transfer cases suck up a lot.

im not surprised that guy broke his clutch on a launch... i have seen it happen on a brand new car... so far 4 of my 6 friends have Evo's.. 1 has an 8.. the other 3 have 9's.. 2 MR's and an RS..

i think they are great road course cars.. but styling is what the damn things lack.. someone said it best already... you're buying a box with 4 doors and a wing...
Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eLTwerker
Another thing to consider. Evos come stock with FI, maros don't. To me FI is in a different catagory than NA. JMO though.

lol, you have 4 extra cylinders, if you think like that then you'd think the v8's would be twice as fast as any 4 banger. It's much more complicated than that...even if you go mod for mod...believe it or not those evo's can handle around 500+whp on a stock bottom end, that's pushing it but same goes for the ls1's right? So you wanna play the forced induction game, say you both mod your cars with forced induction, your both still at a very similar limit with stock internals, it's all in the tune really but believe it or not that little 2.0liter 4 banger can handle a decent ammount of power on stock internals, almost as similar to your ls1, and once you mod the internals then anything goes with both cars...so there ya have it, u have 4 extra cylinders, the evo has a turbo, if you wanna try and give yourself a turbo, still would similar because the stock internals would hold both of you back, but in the end, you still have 4 more cylinders, so what car is really in the higher category...

Oh and I don't agree with any of this I hate it when people label a car as if it's cheating because it's got forced induction stock, even if it has an engine almost 3 time's smaller...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

It depends on the driver and the awd can be a hit or miss type thing if you don't know what your doing. I raced 2 evos at the same time and raped them both by like 5-6 cars and I'm stock for some reason I don't think either of them could drive. But however I raced a guy in a sti ( he was modded not sure what he had) but he literally put 4 cars on me in like 3 seconds from a dig.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

If your car is low 12s or better you will beat 70% of them guaranteed.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy169
lol, you have 4 extra cylinders, if you think like that then you'd think the v8's would be twice as fast as any 4 banger. It's much more complicated than that...even if you go mod for mod...believe it or not those evo's can handle around 500+whp on a stock bottom end, that's pushing it but same goes for the ls1's right? So you wanna play the forced induction game, say you both mod your cars with forced induction, your both still at a very similar limit with stock internals, it's all in the tune really but believe it or not that little 2.0liter 4 banger can handle a decent ammount of power on stock internals, almost as similar to your ls1, and once you mod the internals then anything goes with both cars...so there ya have it, u have 4 extra cylinders, the evo has a turbo, if you wanna try and give yourself a turbo, still would similar because the stock internals would hold both of you back, but in the end, you still have 4 more cylinders, so what car is really in the higher category...

Oh and I don't agree with any of this I hate it when people label a car as if it's cheating because it's got forced induction stock, even if it has an engine almost 3 time's smaller...
Yeah, but said Evo has two cams and the same amount of valves, lol.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=jimmy169]lol, you have 4 extra cylinders, if you think like that then you'd think the v8's would be twice as fast as any 4 banger. It's much more complicated than that...even if you go mod for mod...believe it or not those evo's can handle around 500+whp on a stock bottom end, that's pushing it but same goes for the ls1's right? So you wanna play the forced induction game, say you both mod your cars with forced induction, your both still at a very similar limit with stock internals, it's all in the tune really but believe it or not that little 2.0liter 4 banger can handle a decent ammount of power on stock internals, almost as similar to your ls1, and once you mod the internals then anything goes with both cars...so there ya have it, u have 4 extra cylinders, the evo has a turbo, if you wanna try and give yourself a turbo, still would similar because the stock internals would hold both of you back, but in the end, you still have 4 more cylinders, so what car is really in the higher category...

I tried to think of something to throw back at you, but you're right. Evos are fly. I wasn't saying they weren't. F bodies are hotter. Preformance wise, stock for stock it's a toss up. Handling I'd have to give to the Evo, but style is all f body!
Old 02-19-2007, 09:17 PM
12 Second Club

I really like Evos but then again I like alot of different type of cars
Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've raced a few and havent had any problems. with bolt ons I have beaten Evo's with exhaust and Boost controller pretty easily.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Yeah, but said Evo has two cams and the same amount of valves, lol.
Yeah but...damn...i got nothin...lol...
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=eLTwerker]
Originally Posted by jimmy169

I tried to think of something to throw back at you, but you're right. Evos are fly. I wasn't saying they weren't. F bodies are hotter. Preformance wise, stock for stock it's a toss up. Handling I'd have to give to the Evo, but style is all f body!
They're alright, I wish the engine wasn't put in a 4 door myself, I kinda like it when I see it but it's still just...kind of a fast shoebox I think sometime's...
Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

from what i've seen at the track the Evos dont run mid 12s stock. they run 13s, i've seen stock A4 f-bodies run 12.8 stock so i guess anything is possible. the Evos are weird cars though, they jump out quick if they have a decent launch, then after that they just kinda hang out, until they start pulling with the little top-end they have. at imports vs. domestics a few months ago at MIR there werent many notable Evos, there were plenty turbo hondas running low 11s to my surprise, and they really gave the domestics (as well as the rest of the imports) a run. only AWD car worth noting was a damn near 200mph (7.70et) talon, talk about impressive, it edged out a turbo fox-body for the trophy...
Old 02-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

The evos and sti's are really up and down with times,ive seen stock evos run high 12's then run a mid 13. What it comes down to is the driver, the all wheel drive is also harder to launch without burning up the cluch, its really hit or miss with ur launches on thoes cars. My buddy has an 800hp sti and his wife has a 650 hp evo they both haul *** but it really depends on whos the driver and the skills they have. But in the end if i were to put the same mods they have on thoes cars onto an ls1 the ls1 would pull on them real hard. So the way i see it fbody ftw!
Old 02-19-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Evos are sick as hell, its all in what you like, but comparing the 4G63T to a LS1 is like comparing apples and oranges. One disadvantage is a 4G63 is yea they can make good power but the tune has to be DEAD on in order to keep it reliable b/c how much air your pushin through a little 2.0 liter. Goes back a engine is just an air pump. I know several people with DSM's (same 4G63 engine except evos have bigger turbos and come factory with more boost) that yea when they run they have 4-5 hundred HP but their down more then their running, where you seem to see more 5-6 hundred HP LS1's drivin every day which tells you something about reliability
Old 02-20-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those Evos/stis respond real well to a intake, exhaust and a boost controller. After that it starts gettin expensive. A evo/sti is not a "walk" by any means.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh and my 4G63 Eclipse is a garage queen. Not cuz its in collector shape or anything but dont drive it as "preventative maintenance" from it breaking.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
oh and my 4G63 Eclipse is a garage queen. Not cuz its in collector shape or anything but dont drive it as "preventative maintenance" from it breaking.
LOL. They aren't bad cars. The only reason they are unreliable is because people are running extreme setups on stock block/internals and it causes problems. Another factor is that a lot of people go cheap, and expect fast and reliable. You can't have all 3, so most do go cheap/fast. Just from experience around here, but usually it is the case.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

I think theyre quick little cars.... i just hate how cocky the drivers can get..... had a friend of mine who has one that i havent seen in years move back in to town and he just thought he was the **** and was better than everybody before even seeing the competition.... He even got to the point where he was in denial when his car would lose...it was pretty pathetic.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Evos are sick as hell, its all in what you like, but comparing the 4G63T to a LS1 is like comparing apples and oranges. One disadvantage is a 4G63 is yea they can make good power but the tune has to be DEAD on in order to keep it reliable b/c how much air your pushin through a little 2.0 liter. Goes back a engine is just an air pump. I know several people with DSM's (same 4G63 engine except evos have bigger turbos and come factory with more boost) that yea when they run they have 4-5 hundred HP but their down more then their running, where you seem to see more 5-6 hundred HP LS1's drivin every day which tells you something about reliability

Actually imho a lot of the tune has to do with compression, ls1's have higher compression being n/a right? I'd think the ls1 has less room for error because of that, aspecially if you go with boost, that's why ppl usually get lower comp. pistons when they rebuilt so there's more room for error, the evo's come stock turbo and I think forged internals if you take a good look, they were made to handle boost from day one, maybe not to the extent some ppl are pushing them but I still would think there's more room for nock or error on their lower compression engine's than there is for the ls1...but idk correct me if I'm wrong. I know these ls1's can take a hella beating.

The issue I had with my dsm was ironic, the engine was strong as hell, gave me no issues, but everything else around it was falling apart...that's mitsu for you...

Even though I hear chevy isn't the most reliable, I still think they're more reliable than mitsu after all I've been through with my old dsms.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say I see about 1 evo for every 600 cars on the road.

so if you figure that only about 1 in 5 evo's actually has work done.

You probably can beat more like 95% of the evo's you'll see on the road..

so just mod your car and run one when the opportunity arises.

Last edited by Finite1; 02-20-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: ls1s vs evos