General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Electric Power Steering Pump Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Power Steering Pump Conversion

Has anyone switched over to this? Are they strong enough? I found some pumps available, but dont know a whole lot about them. I figure its one less thing to rob HP, but I still want the PS functionality for street driving.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Ive def. heard of electric water pumps, but nothing about electric power steering...

My advice is if your hooking up electric waterpumps, and power steering pumps....you better have a healthy alternator b/c if it craps out on you, your in trouble.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Hahaha, yea thats a good idea too I would suppose. Its not my DD, so I'm not tooooooo worried about that happening! I definitely mean, power steering. I reading about someone doing a conversion the other day using a pump from a Toyota MR2. I searched on eBay and there are several other cars that use electric pumps. For about 200$ I could get one and rig it up. PS without the power loss.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Why dont you just do a manual rack conversion. No power at all, there are ton of track cars on here that run that setup.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

I will have to look into that too then. I will still be driving it on the street as much as possible, thats why I was interested in the PS.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=manual+rack

There is some more info on the manual racks. I want to do a lot more than drag race with my car, so after reading that, I think the manual rack is out of the options.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone have any more info? I have found a couple resources through Google. 99-99 Toyota MR2, some Subarus, and RX8s have come equipped with these pumps. I think they would be a great thing to do. Only the alternator would be left to run off the crank then, since I already removed AC, and have an electric water pump. I think this would be great to save even more room in the engine bay as the pump could be mounted below the frame rail or something.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd stick with a manual rack. Been here for years (earlier than my join date) and I have never heard of an electric power steering pump on a F-Body/C5/C6.

Which means that IF you were going to get one it would be EXPENSIVE custom work/set-up.

Quick Reply: Electric Power Steering Pump Conversion