General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What would make my car unstable at WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would make my car unstable at WOT?

I've been having a problem with my car being wobbly wot from a dig or from a roll. I took it to have it checked out and found that I had a bad tie rod end on the driver's side. I had it replaced and the front end aligned. The car felt really good and solid again driving around town, but today when I punched it from a roll the car felt unstable and I had to let out. When I got home I checked every part of the suspension in the rear of the car and everything is tight. The panhard rod and cross member, LCAs,torque arm, and shocks are all tight, I don't know what else to check. What in the hell could be causing this problem?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Hi: Maybe you have a bad tire that is out of round or out of balance. Try rotating the tires if you can if they are all the same size. Tire and or wheel problems can cause problems at different speeds.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by StickSS
Hi: Maybe you have a bad tire that is out of round or out of balance. Try rotating the tires if you can if they are all the same size. Tire and or wheel problems can cause problems at different speeds.
What he said makes alot of sense, you could possibly have some tread seperation happening, I would get it checked out. Good luck -Dave
Old 02-28-2007, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

loss of traction?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad motor/tranny mount. More likely motor-mount. Tranny mount you would hear the tranny slap the car or whatnot as it shifted.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1LoudTA
loss of traction?
The car does get any traction until about 40 mph, so I guess yes. My nittos had 35,000 miles on them so they are not as good as they use to be.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car wobbles from side to side at WOT at high speeds. Would the front hubs cause this? I also have a poly mount for the tranny and I really can't tell if it's broken or not. The motor mounts are stock. I just want the car to feel solid again at any speed.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

check your pan hard bar...if the bushing's are loose or need grease, it will wiggle the rear and middle and make the car feel like its wobbling....

a motor mount can also be a problem like stated
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
check your pan hard bar...if the bushing's are loose or need grease, it will wiggle the rear and middle and make the car feel like its wobbling....

a motor mount can also be a problem like stated

Well I know it's not loose I've already checked that but I'll give em a little grease though. How would you check the motor mounts? I my old truck the motor would lift on the side that was broke but my car doesn't do that.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe a bum shock?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

how bad if any, does the motor squat or lean when you rev it up?....

i went with the panhard idea, BC on my car...my aftermarket phb was slightly loose..and my damn car swayed like a tree in the wind
Old 03-01-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Maybe a bum shock?
Ya check your shocks. I believe I had the same problem. At about 110mph the car would wobble/sway side to side so bad I though it was going to flip. I looked at the gap between the fender and top of the tire and both passenger side front and rear were significantly lower than the driver side. See if thats your problem.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
Ya check your shocks. I believe I had the same problem. At about 110mph the car would wobble/sway side to side so bad I though it was going to flip. I looked at the gap between the fender and top of the tire and both passenger side front and rear were significantly lower than the driver side. See if thats your problem.
I just went out and checked the distance between the top of the tire and the fender LOL on the pass side 3" front/rear driver's side 3.125" front/rear. Damn all I need is a transfer case and a front axle and some skid plates and I would have one fast Z71, that wobbles side to side.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
how bad if any, does the motor squat or lean when you rev it up?....

i went with the panhard idea, BC on my car...my aftermarket phb was slightly loose..and my damn car swayed like a tree in the wind
Yeah that was the first thing I though of to but it is tight. I even made sure the cross member that holds the PHR was tight.