General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

full bolt-on owners only please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007 | 12:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Except there's this thing called air/fuel ratio. The PCM asures that with an increase in air flow is met with a proportionate increase in fuel. Them's the rules folks.
LOL this is great.

Listen, just because your car is taking in more Air and Fuel, doesnt mean youre necessarily getting worse gas mileage.

If the motor is breathing more efficiently, it is not working as hard. So even though its taking in more product, at the same time its producing more product alot easier....
Therefore, even though its air/fuel ratio is bigger, its not using as much, or more then it would have if it where choked out.

Listen, if youre giving the car more horsepower, mathematically its almost the same as taking weight out of your car.
Take 300 pnds out of your car, and its less work for your engine, hence less gas.
MANY users on here, actually the majority, have said they got as good, usually better mileage after an Intake and Exhaust... why? well read this post 10 times and you should be able to figure it out...

I dont really know any other way to try and explain it...

here's an example...
lets say you take two cars, EXACTLY the same...weight, options, transmissions.. everything. Lets says is a 99 Z28 Camaro A4.

If you put a Lid and Catback on one Z28 and have it tuned, at cruising speed it will get better mileage then the other stocker because its breathing more freely.

Last edited by burnzilla; 03-03-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2007 | 12:25 AM
12 Second Club

And anyway, the only time better flowing intake parts cause more air to come in than the stock parts could let in is at/close to WOT.
Old 03-03-2007 | 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Except there's this thing called air/fuel ratio. The PCM asures that with an increase in air flow is met with a proportionate increase in fuel. Them's the rules folks.
Not to highjack thread but THANK U.....personally I haven't seen better gas mileage at all until I replaced my 02's....I got better gas mileage stock & have dropped about 3 mpg since being stock.....No matter how you put it....more air = worse gas mileage. To make more power, air & or fuel is raised to do so.

Last edited by miamifan3413; 03-03-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2007 | 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by burnzilla
LOL this is great.

Listen, just because your car is taking in more Air and Fuel, doesnt mean youre necessarily getting worse gas mileage.

If the motor is breathing more efficiently, it is not working as hard. So even though its taking in more product, at the same time its producing more product alot easier....
Therefore, even though its air/fuel ratio is bigger, its not using as much, or more then it would have if it where choked out.

Listen, if youre giving the car more horsepower, mathematically its almost the same as taking weight out of your car.
Take 300 pnds out of your car, and its less work for your engine, hence less gas.
MANY users on here, actually the majority, have said they got as good, usually better mileage after an Intake and Exhaust... why? well read this post 10 times and you should be able to figure it out...

here's an example...
lets say you take two cars, EXACTLY the same...weight, options, transmissions.. everything. Lets says is a 99 Z28 Camaro A4.

If you put a Lid and Catback on one Z28 and have it tuned, at cruising speed it will get better mileage then the other stocker because its breathing more freely.
It doesn't get better gas mileage because it's breathing more freely...lol It's getting better gas mileage because it's AFR has been made more efficient throughout the rpm band over the stock rich tune
Old 03-03-2007 | 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have never had a car that adding an intake and exhaust helps gas mileage. I think its a crock
Old 03-03-2007 | 04:16 AM
11 Second Club

The best mileage I ever got was in stock form, think I hit 26 mpg once. Was usually in the 24-25 range. And after only a few mods I'm down to 20-21, although my city miles have gone up compared to before. This is with 2.73 gears in an A4 car.
Old 03-03-2007 | 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
And anyway, the only time better flowing intake parts cause more air to come in than the stock parts could let in is at/close to WOT.
Yep.....When youre cruising at say 15% throttle, that blade is barely open, so its not receiving more air than it would have offf the showroom floor. When it's wide open, then its making use of the new parts.

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
It doesn't get better gas mileage because it's breathing more freely...lol It's getting better gas mileage because it's AFR has been made more efficient throughout the rpm band over the stock rich tune
Nope.....Its a stock rich tune so when it gets more air coming in, its gonna dump that much more fuel in since there is that much more air coming in.
Old 03-03-2007 | 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Nope.....Its a stock rich tune so when it gets more air coming in, its gonna dump that much more fuel in since there is that much more air coming in.
Well, I haven't experienced any gas mileage improvement at all since I started modding, maybe some peeps have but I can't see how.....gas mileage goes by how much fuel is dumped into engine....stock afr is 14.7 stochiometric, stock PCM tune is always trying to achieve this....
Old 03-04-2007 | 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
I could see this. Ive gotten 29.5mpg with just a lid going 75-80. My dads corvette's DIC has read 38.5mpg going 70 on I5
thanks for the info guy.
Old 03-04-2007 | 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not true.

With more power, the engine can breathe freely, so in turn does not have to work as hard to push the car, compared to being choked out with the stock stuff.
Its not uncommon for guys with an Intake, Full Exhaust and Tune (intake,headers and exhaust with tune) to get the same, if not more miles per gallon then they did before.

Bingo!!!
Old 03-04-2007 | 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL this is great.

here's an example...

the way to explain it is... by change the exhaust, intake, ect. you're freeing up the engine. the engine is being choked due to the goofy drivers side y pipe, the air box baffle, ect. by losing these restrictions, your hp and tq increase meaning, you don't need to good above 3K rpms to get the car going while jumping onto the highway or wherever. the engine is unchocked and running smooth.
Old 03-04-2007 | 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

all i can say is, i'm jealous
Old 03-04-2007 | 05:00 PM
12 Second Club

I've done the NY to FL and FL to NY trip several times. 4 fillups for a 1200 mile trip and I'm at my destination with 1/2 tank left. Before the cam and longtubes I managed to get 400 miles with about 1 gallon left on the highway, didn't want to cut it any closer than that. Now I get 380 on the highway and about 220 without lockup. Currently at 14city/24highway.

500 miles with a 16.8 gallon tank comes out to 29.76 mpg but that's running it completely dry, your fuel pump must love you. If you still had gallons left then it will be over 30.

If you want to find out what your gas mpg is, get on the highway with a full tank of gas, get into 6th, cruise and reset your trip meter. Go for about 50 miles or so and then fill back up. Divide what your trip meter says by how much your filled up the tank. Example, say you went 50 miles and then filled back up with 1.5 gallons, you'll be at 33.33mpg.

Last edited by Roarin_8; 03-04-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2007 | 07:50 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

best Ive ever gotten is about 315- 320 on a full tank on a trip from texas to Arkansas
with the mods in sig.
I would kill to be in the 400+ range, but for that I have a 4 banger, lol. Toyotas are awesome for that.
Old 03-04-2007 | 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

When my car was stock I took it on a short roadtrip which included mostly open highway, but there were quite a few hills and some spots of stop and go. It got 26.47 mpg. So it would have done over 400 with almost 2 gallons left.
Old 03-04-2007 | 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

LOL this is great.

Are you implying that giving your car more HP and removing weight from the car will have a similar effect on fuel economy? That would be incorrect, of course.

....And MANY users on here say all sorts of things. Welcome to the Internet where, everyone is a master mechanic, ownes a ten second ride, and is packing a 14 cack lol.
Old 03-04-2007 | 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you implying that giving your car more HP and removing weight from the car will have a similar effect on fuel economy? That would be incorrect, of course.

....And MANY users on here say all sorts of things. Welcome to the Internet where, everyone is a master mechanic, ownes a ten second ride, and is packing a 14 cack lol.
Yeah. The best mpg your gonna get with this cars is stock w/ tune or stock w/ lid and tune. Thats it.

More hp requires more fuel.

You guys ever seen the exhaust on the 50+mpg cars? Restrictive and **** and as such the car create very little hp.
Old 03-05-2007 | 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FU_I_AM_UltraZ
the way to explain it is... by change the exhaust, intake, ect. you're freeing up the engine. the engine is being choked due to the goofy drivers side y pipe, the air box baffle, ect. by losing these restrictions, your hp and tq increase meaning, you don't need to good above 3K rpms to get the car going while jumping onto the highway or wherever. the engine is unchocked and running smooth.
Put it anyway you want....ask any tuner, more air means more fuel period Restriction causes less air to flow therefore less fuel is dumped...combustion is best at 14.7 stoich.....good for you if you get that kind of mileage however I don't agree that air mods create better fuel economy, that's just not how it works
Old 03-05-2007 | 01:38 AM
Launching!

i got 300 max. 150 if i sprayed a little.
Old 03-05-2007 | 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
I have never had a car that adding an intake and exhaust helps gas mileage. I think its a crock

thats because you get on it more to hear the exhaust

btw i have been able to net over 400 to a tank before. that was with just an slp lid and kn filter.(M6/3.42 gears)