General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep the SS
71.30%
Buy a Cobra
28.70%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the SS or go for a Snake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess im done as well....but regardless of the car you have...it matters who's driving it....
Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cobra looks better then the SS and has better interior but i would sell the SS and get a C5 Z06 or a WS6 both look MUCH MUCH better then a SS
Old 03-20-2007, 01:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a little food for thought....................

How long do you think it will be before you'll want to start modding the cobra?? If you find it hard to mod your current car, how much longer will it take you to start putting money into the snake.

You're probably thinking that you'll be satisfied with the power the cobra puts down, but you know we'll never be happy with the current horsepower we have, we'll always need more.

If you don't have the cash right now for mods, how about you get yourself a credit card and put it on that? If you can finance a Cobra, I'm sure you can get a decent credit card with a low APR somewhere. On top of that, I believe STS is financing their turbo systems now too!!

Cobras are really nice cars, if I wasn't saving up for the 09' SS, I would get one myself. But I would NEVER get rid of my SS.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was in the same decision a few months ago...trade my ws6 for a cobra....but then I remembered all the problems I had with my old GT....It was a no brainer....the interior is nicer in my ws6....I dont have to reach for my shifter....Yeah the cobra is FI from the factory....but have you seen what a FI LS1 can do?

If you want fast...spend the cash you have now on an STS setup....

I guess its really all what your goals are....

BTW I LOVE THE 03-04 COBRAS.....but not over my WS6.....heres my reason....EVERY SINGLE 03-04 cobra is supercharged....how many LS1's are FI'ed? I know there are alot but its not every single one....I like being different

Like was mentioned above...if yours gonna shell out around $25k why not find a zo6? Ive seen alot go for around that
Old 03-20-2007, 02:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
One of the reasons that I wouldn't buy one (still want one tho) is because of their #7&8 piston. I've read a few posts on SVTperformance where people have blown their engines in high speed runs. Ask some cobra owners because they will most likely know about this issue
It's due to the coolant pooling in the back of the head there is an easy $100 dollar fix for it though that allows better cooling.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blown4.6
It's due to the coolant pooling in the back of the head there is an easy $100 dollar fix for it though that allows better cooling.
OH REALLY? Can I get more info on that?? SHIYETTT...I just might get one after all if that's all it takes to fix...
Old 03-20-2007, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
OH REALLY? Can I get more info on that?? SHIYETTT...I just might get one after all if that's all it takes to fix...
Yea it just plugs into a drain plug in the back of the head and routes collant through the problem area LDC COOLING MOD

just stick with the LDC other kits use plastic moldings that warp because of the heat one guy had it blow out during a run with his mach 1 and he is running low 11's that is not when you want coolant spraying all over your tires.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jewbacca
Well, I think I am going to stick with the SS for now. I work as a temp in game testing, so I think I will go for the Cobra when I get perminet (whenever that may be). I am going to be getting a cam with my tax return, so I figure I won't want to sell my car then.
That sounds like a wise decision. The car payment on a nice snake without a lot of money down would be a killer for anyone on a tight budget.

Good luck and don't forget to research cams here in the LS1-LS6 internal engine section. There is a ton of useful information there that can help you pick a cam that's right for you. Just use search and put on a big pot of coffee

Good luck.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

change it up...get the cobra!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

I am going to be buying a brand new Hotcam kit from a friend. $225 isn't bad. I know its not the best, but it should work for me (my cars a DD).
Old 03-20-2007, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jewbacca
I am going to be buying a brand new Hotcam kit from a friend. $225 isn't bad. I know its not the best, but it should work for me (my cars a DD).
My girlfriend has a 02 A4 WS6 that had most standard modifications (cam, heads, exhaust, etc.) and she spanked an 03 Cobra that was also modified over and over. Our cars are simply the best value for the money.

You should've seen how mad the Cobra owner was. He had spent so much money to try and beat it. He even decided to buy an LS1 after that.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is the truth ^^^...and its kinda sad...that you can put a small cam and have bolt ons our cars and beat a supercharged car......speaks for itself
Old 03-21-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Terminators are MEAN cars for sure. Almost sold my SS for one... test drove the snake and then let the dealer take my car out for a test drive. As soon as the bastard left the dealership I immediately wanted my car back. I couldnt do it but I love the snakes (had an '01 and traded it for the SS). Heres an idea, get both!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Id go with the Corba Hands down......if u wanted to work on it ever day!!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Cobra=more money, higher insurance, more weight. They are nice cars but for the price difference between your SS and Cobra you could easily have a H/C+juice. You would be pretty upset if you dropped the coin for the Cobra and then saw the guy who bought your SS off of ya goign flying by you cuz he did that setup.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

03 Cobras are more money but they are newer, supercharged, nicer seats. Few mods in the cobra and you will trap 120, just depends what u want really. I want a WS6 personallly
Old 03-21-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Stick with the SS, mod it and beat Cobras. Now if you really want something different later on get a ws6, c6, but personally i'm not a ford guy. They look good but its a shame they had to be supercharged and then when we mod our cars we still beat the dog **** out of them.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by verve_v
Cobra=more money, higher insurance, more weight. They are nice cars but for the price difference between your SS and Cobra you could easily have a H/C+juice. You would be pretty upset if you dropped the coin for the Cobra and then saw the guy who bought your SS off of ya goign flying by you cuz he did that setup.
Hmm then why buy a vette?
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blown4.6
Hmm then why buy a vette?
Same motor as the SS, wieghs less and is faster.

But to comment on the trading....Stick with the SS, you have paid on it for this long, why start again with another car?

Think of it this way, once your SS is paid off, you have that extra money to save for other mods, You can get Pace Setter LT's for $374, a lid for $99, and other small small things to start with.

If you chenge over and get a Cobra, you are starting all over again. You wont have money for mods, Insurance could go up or down, and so on....

Think of it this way, it's going to be paid off soon, extra money for what eve ryou want to do with.....Think about it......Good Luck
Old 03-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00TAProject
Same motor as the SS, wieghs less and is faster.

But to comment on the trading....Stick with the SS, you have paid on it for this long, why start again with another car?

Think of it this way, once your SS is paid off, you have that extra money to save for other mods, You can get Pace Setter LT's for $374, a lid for $99, and other small small things to start with.

If you chenge over and get a Cobra, you are starting all over again. You wont have money for mods, Insurance could go up or down, and so on....

Think of it this way, it's going to be paid off soon, extra money for what eve ryou want to do with.....Think about it......Good Luck
I guess you didn't read the post I was quoteing they stated that why buy a cobra for the price diffrence you can make the ls1 faster. So I stated why do people ever buy a vette when they can get a much cheaper and for the 20-30k diffrence make it insane.