General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: What should I do?
Keep the SS
71.30%
Buy a Cobra
28.70%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Keep the SS or go for a Snake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Keep the SS or go for a Snake?

Just as the title states. I have been milling over this for awhile now. I have been thinking about wanting to try and trade my car in on an 03-04 Cobra. My reasoning is, a car that is newer, and a lot more bang for the buck. So I was wondering if you guys could throw out some reasons why I should either switch, or stick with what I have.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep the SS and mod it hahahahah!CHEVY CHEVY CHEVY!!!!GO CHEVY YOU CAN NEVER GO WRONG.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Don't get me wrong, I love my chevy, thats all I've ever owned. But modding is kinda hard for me, and if I put something into a car, I want to FEEL it. To get the same performance as a stock Cobra, I'd have to spend $2500-$3000. Drop $1k into a Cobra, and the Camaro is done for.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

Keep the SS. With minimal mods you'll be right with the cobras. IDK Ford just never appealled to me. I mean you pay so much more, and you really don't get more for your money. ****, supercharge the SS and you'll be right there and have some extra cash in the bank. Ford has always been pricier yet Chevy has always kicked their ***. That's why I've never really been attracted to them. I respect them but I'd never get one for myself. That whole pinto incident shows what ford really feels about there customers. They'll save pennies over human lives lol.

Well you have my opinion, not that it really makes a difference lol.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

y would u ask to get a cobra on a gm based website?
Old 03-18-2007, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

+1....thinkin the samething
Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Board Certified Idiot

UMM correct me if I am Wrong But your Car is Stock.. And you are wanting something with More Power?? LMAO are you lazy Mod your Car man its an A4 also So Stall it.. you would be suprised.. Hell can you even Drive a Cobra?? I have seen Stock LS1 beat the ALLMIghty Terminator Stock for Stock.. And the Cobra you SO badly want Will Run you Over $$24k for a Decent Miliage one. SO much for Good bang for your Buck$
Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the Cobra, build quality is a tad higher and it is more "exclusive" and you can turn it later on for more money.

Keep the SS. You have it now and know how it has been treated. It will take little work to hit 11's and IRS is a bitch sometimes. Mainly, for money difference, you can be in the 10's.

Those are 2 ways I look at it. What would I do? Go C5 Z.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I mean cobras and nice, but if your talkin best bang for your buck, an F body would win hands down if you take into account the price of the car, If you search you will find ALOT on this topic, another thing to remember is that stangs usually have higher insurance
Old 03-18-2007, 01:43 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I voted SS.

The Cobra is nice, but the SS looks better. Also the Cobra has no auto trans option which is a big turnoff for me.

And both can be equally fast, but dollar for dollar you will be slower in the Cobra considering the money you'd lose just to make the trade.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

My 03 cobra dynoed 463 and i had head and cammed ls1 pull on me..
Old 03-18-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Resident

One thing I must say, to the guys who said, "you're lazy, mod your car, put a blower on your car and have money in the bank." I don't know about you, but I tend to have to make payments on cars, not buy them outright. So I really wouldn't have money left over. And about me being lazy and not modding my car, I didn't know being poor was being lazy. I can afford a little bit more expensive car payments, but I can't afford to drop $3k+ on a blower. I'm not trying to sound like an ***, but come on guys, its right there, read it, I'm poor.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:28 AM
TECH Resident

Also, one thing I forgot. The real reason I have been wanting one is the looks. I'm actually thinking I'm liking the looks better then my SS, plus the sound of the exhaust. Well, I'm going to check one out tomorrow. And all the speculation in the world isn't worth anything if they won't even give me the car, lol.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jewbacca
One thing I must say, to the guys who said, "you're lazy, mod your car, put a blower on your car and have money in the bank." I don't know about you, but I tend to have to make payments on cars, not buy them outright. So I really wouldn't have money left over. And about me being lazy and not modding my car, I didn't know being poor was being lazy. I can afford a little bit more expensive car payments, but I can't afford to drop $3k+ on a blower. I'm not trying to sound like an ***, but come on guys, its right there, read it, I'm poor.

how much do you owe on your SS?

since you claim to not have alot of money why would you want a higher car payment or at least spend more money on a newer car?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
how much do you owe on your SS?

since you claim to not have alot of money why would you want a higher car payment or at least spend more money on a newer car?

i think what he's getting at is $50-100 bucks a month on a car note wouldnt be to bad for him to swing, but dropin a few grand on go fast goodies is a little hard to do...

I voted cobra, by what you said your getting a newer car, one that you can upgrade easily to make a bunch more power.... and its nice to just get in something different every now and then.

good luck with which ever you choose
Old 03-18-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

keep the SS!! bro its an SS!! i would mod the f*ck out the SS, then when im all done with that, i would mess with the cobra!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BaddillaK
i think what he's getting at is $50-100 bucks a month on a car note wouldnt be to bad for him to swing, but dropin a few grand on go fast goodies is a little hard to do...

I voted cobra, by what you said your getting a newer car, one that you can upgrade easily to make a bunch more power.... and its nice to just get in something different every now and then.

good luck with which ever you choose

well, i guess if it was me id figure in how much more it was going to cost in payments compared to what i owed. id rather have a car i owe less on that i can mod than a more expensive car i couldnt afford to mod.

if it was me id pay off my SS and save for mods.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

I would think the payments on an 03 Cobra - roughly a $22-25K car, would be WAY WAY more than a 99 SS. Depending on Milegae your SS might be worth 9K to 14K, thats 10-15K you need to make up, solidly $250 amonth over 6 years...do you really wanna be payin on that car for six years?

I love the cobras but dont be quick to get out of your price range or one.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

My take: I wanted an 03-04 cobra, then I went to the track and watched about 10 of them one night and only one was hitting 11's, and 3 were stuck in the 13's... Pretty sad. Not to say they are all slow, but if you're wanting a car to take to the strip keep your ss and stall it, if you're wanting to get into road racing or like to race from a roll get a cobra. IRS, T56, and mad torque aren't too 1320 friendly for the average driver.

EDIT: not to mention its funny after beating one explaining how your lowely SS has only about 3/4 the claimed power, is NA, and is a "auto!?" lol

Last edited by not7fifteen; 03-18-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-18-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

ya why not if you want to Fix Or Repair Daily. sorry you ford guys i couldnt help myself