General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My Anti-K&N Rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Im running a fram paper filter, do those have good reputation?
Dude the best thing i can tell you is an air filter is an air filter it does matter which one you use. As long as you use one.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell I run 4 K&Ns. Just stack them on top of each other. I picked up at least 40 RWHP. I started off with 5 but I took 1 off, scared I might tear out the 10 bolt.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Only reason I have a K&N on my car is because it never gets thrown away to end up in a landfill.........and because that offsets the fact that I don't run cats on any of my vehicles, I feel better about doing my part to "help" the environment.
haha nice....doin your part to save the planet
Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

All I know is that having my intake sealed and having Ram air my filter gets wet when it rains so I use an oiled filter. (Holly powershot, the K&N fit like crap) No way I'd use a paper filter with it getting wet like that.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Hell I run 4 K&Ns. Just stack them on top of each other. I picked up at least 40 RWHP. I started off with 5 but I took 1 off, scared I might tear out the 10 bolt.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SStheBest
...ok first off prove that ****...and 2nd i dont know too many guys who dont go and rebuild the motor before 150,000k anyway...so that is irrelavent....**** paper, K&N, hell it DONT ****** MATTER!!!! ...u guys drive me crazy talkin about the same **** over and over again...its JUST personal pref...leave it alone
oh please, don't give me that ****. it was a completely hypothetical situation. the FACT is that the K&N puts more dirt into the motor, and over 100,000+ miles, it adds up. no one can argue that added dirt lowers the lifespan of a motor. sure, your motor may break for something completely unrelated altogether making it a crapshoot, but no one can argue that your motor wears more over time due to the poor filtering capabilities in comparison to a paper filter. don't even try to "selective quote" me to make me look like i said something i didn't. i hate selective quoters, i hate people that put words in other people's mouths and i hate it when people take a completely hypothetical situation and make it sound like i'm speaking fact. the only FACT here is that the K&N adds unnecessary wear and tear with nearly 0 benefit. IMO, they're pointless.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this n00b thread belongs on ls1.com
Old 03-27-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I dont understand why people keep bringing it up, I mean theirs no solid proof that shows it messes anything up, and everyone has their own opinion. This is like the old "WHICH IS BETTER A T/A OR A CAMARO" you have the T/A guys sayin camaros look like catfish and camaro guys sayin T/A's dont looke like true american muscle.................. Where will all this debating get us???? NOWHERE, b/c everyone is just going to keep their views and someone on the interweb is not going to change there views more then likely........ SO Lets stop beating a dead horse here
Old 03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
oh please, don't give me that ****. it was a completely hypothetical situation. the FACT is that the K&N puts more dirt into the motor, and over 100,000+ miles, it adds up. no one can argue that added dirt lowers the lifespan of a motor. sure, your motor may break for something completely unrelated altogether making it a crapshoot, but no one can argue that your motor wears more over time due to the poor filtering capabilities in comparison to a paper filter. don't even try to "selective quote" me to make me look like i said something i didn't. i hate selective quoters, i hate people that put words in other people's mouths and i hate it when people take a completely hypothetical situation and make it sound like i'm speaking fact. the only FACT here is that the K&N adds unnecessary wear and tear with nearly 0 benefit. IMO, they're pointless.
ok then dont ****** use one...but dont come in to a thread like this all high and mighty about an air filter...ive read a couple of ur responses to peeps before and id have a better time arguin w/ a 3 year old
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

this has kinda peaked my interest, does anyone have a link to the bench tests of the stocker vs. k&n in flow and dirt that gets thru? much like usin GC, the results are what I am interested in, not anything else....
Old 03-27-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SStheBest
ive read a couple of ur responses to peeps before and id have a better time arguin w/ a 3 year old
Old 03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28

Now that is funny as hell!

This is getting more fierce than a Ford v. Chevy arguement! damn......
Old 03-27-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just switched from a k&n to an amsoil EA microfiber filter, has better filtering than paper (6-7 microns vs 15ish with paper vs 30ish with oiled cotton) and can be cleaned with light compressed air and reused for up to 100k miles (or so they claimed). yea i spent 45 bucks on it but i thought i'd give it a try since i know how the k&n oil can mess up the maf. i did notice a little improvement in mid range power between my dirty k&n filter and the EA, probably just because it was dirty as hell though lol.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work for a car dealership and I see cars with K&N filters pretty often. It seems that most of the people that have them never clean them and most of the people that do clean them over oil them which causes problems with the mass air flow sensor. It is rare to see one cleaned and oiled correctly. I wouldn't say that they are a bad filter or that they will destroy your engine if you use them correctly but from what I see the majority of the people that have them are getting negative effects from them.

I have a K&N filter in my car and have for the past few years. I will never recommend them to any of my friends or buy another one myself because I don't believe you will get any noticeable power gains from them. 1-2 hp at most? Not enough for the trouble it is to clean them or the problems that can be caused if you clean them incorrectly. From what I see most people change their filters if they use paper filters but if they use K&N filters they put it off and put it off till the thing is pretty much clogged up. All the other techs I work with hate them.

In my opinion I don't think K&N filters filter as well as most of the paper filters. This isn't something you would really notice because the effect would take a very long time but I bet if you had two engines one with K&N and one with a paper filter both run under dusty conditions for 200k miles the K&N filtered one would probably have lower compression, consume more oil, smoke more, and have less power. All effects of more wear on the cylendar walls/rings from the extra dirt getting in.

Last edited by Black01M6SS; 03-27-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Resident

high and mighty? how so? you're the one coming in guns blazing, not me. i just voiced my opinion and gave a hypothetical situation. you're the one that went off the deep end. i suggest you look up the definition of "hypocrisy".
Old 03-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
i just switched from a k&n to an amsoil EA microfiber filter, has better filtering than paper (6-7 microns vs 15ish with paper vs 30ish with oiled cotton) and can be cleaned with light compressed air and reused for up to 100k miles (or so they claimed). yea i spent 45 bucks on it but i thought i'd give it a try since i know how the k&n oil can mess up the maf. i did notice a little improvement in mid range power between my dirty k&n filter and the EA, probably just because it was dirty as hell though lol.
Excellent point here. You can get the best of both world's, better filtration and cleanable WITHOUT a cleaning kit or oil. You may even get a little more flow as well. I have one in my car, truck, and motorcycle. In my V-Rod I had a K&N and replaced it with the AMSOIL EaA filter and noticed NO difference in performance but I feel much better knowing that I gained filtration.

Check it out. You need an EaA83 for the F-bodies.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx?zo=1436102
Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything you don't rant about?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has anybody actually lost an engine cause of to much debris getting through your filter? and if so can u prove thats what caused the failure? all i know is that me and alot of people i know have been using K&N for as long as i can remember and we havent had any mechanical failures due to "dirt getting through the filter." if u change your oil and oil filter on a regular basis u shouldnt have to worry about anything.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

high and mighty? how so? you're the one coming in guns blazing, not me. i just voiced my opinion and gave a hypothetical situation. you're the one that went off the deep end. i suggest you look up the definition of "hypocrisy".
You've now come full circle. You're arguing with yourself.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1charged
has anybody actually lost an engine cause of to much debris getting through your filter? and if so can u prove thats what caused the failure? all i know is that me and alot of people i know have been using K&N for as long as i can remember and we havent had any mechanical failures due to "dirt getting through the filter." if u change your oil and oil filter on a regular basis u shouldnt have to worry about anything.
It is called excessive blowby PLENTY of engines have been cast aside or re-built b/c of this. If you read the links posted you will see that an endurance racing team using Porsches switched from K&N (and 12-13%+ leakdown after races (500 miles IIRC) to paper and 1-3% leakdown after races. Sounds like an improvement to me!