General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Ever Had an Fbody Stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
I have the VIN on both side windows and both t-tops, I can't recall if it's on the hatch glass or not. I didn't have it put there and the woman that owned the car before me probably didn't either.
Again, this is not a factory option, it never has been. There is no RPO code for this. This is an anti-theft measure to deter thieves b/c the parts can be identified. There are dealerships that offer this, but no fbody came out of GM with this done. Google it and you'll see.

http://www.autovinetch.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIN_etching

Please, no more VIN etching The theft stories are interesting, though! Keep 'em coming!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spink
Had 2 other cars stolen though, one an 87 GN that they found burnt to a crisp and a total loss..

Ouch! That GN must have STUNG!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wanna know who the hell steals a car that isnt even being made anymore, and then burn it up? i hope i never meet somebody whos done that cuz im liable to kill that *****....that stuff just aint right no matter how you look at it
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billy_B4C
Ouch! That GN must have STUNG!

That was over 5 years ago and I honestly still have an occasional nightmare about it.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, sometimes I get REALLY peranoid in bad neighborhood so usually I will pull a PCM fuse or unhook my ignition box power wire.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Emerald Phoenix
I'm terrified that I'm going to lose mine because I spend most of my time in a terrible neighborhood. How do I get lojack and how much would it cost?

The only way to get lojack is through their website, www.lojack.com. There is an 800 number to call and they schedule a time to come out and put it your system.

They have several systems, both active and passive types. Some come with a shutdown feature so it can be killed if someone is driving it away. But they all come with gps tracker so you and the police can find it asap. It costs a few hundred dollars (all dependant on what system you get), but it saves headaches down the road.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

This fucken thread jinxed me.

I read this thread at work and then I went to my car. The stereo was fucken stolen. They also fucked up the center console.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, I don't even know what I would do if my baby was stolen. Wait, yes I do. KILL SOMEONE. How much does Lojack run for just the base system w/ the GPS?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the original poster

The same crew that took your car is still going strong and still taking F-bodies left and right. I couldn't tell you how many Club cars we have lost.

Myself, I know of at least 3 Collector Edition's that were taken and stripped.

Here is one of them:

a friend of one of the club members found this some how on his way to work.

The bad thing was, when he had found it and called to tell our club member about it to come out and take pictures, the car still had doors on it. So within the time that it was found and the pictures were taken, they were still taking parts off of it but no one was seen! freaking crazy!

I had another CETA owner tell me that him and his wife went out for dinner in New Orleans (pre Katrina) and then went home to Slidell, that same night he left the CE out in the driveway by the garage and when they got up in the morning, it was gone. So within the time that they went to have dinner and went to sleep the thieves were able to track them and take the car.

As far as how they are taking the cars, its so far 2 ways. One way being that they do have keys and even fake registrations made in their name for the car, so they just drive off in it. The second way we believe is that they are actually using a tow truck to just take the car making it look legitimate...unbelievable!

I'm scared for my car everyday..as I know that a Firehawk was stolen from the University here. Lojack is great and it actually helped to recover the most recent club car theft 2 weeks ago within 5 hours of it being stolen.

The best thing you can do is park your car in a locked garage with another car parked outside the garage door, if possible.

These fools will stop at nothing!...we thought Katrina might have drowned all of em...but it just moved them around a bit.

Last edited by BANDITCAR; 04-04-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

My roommate's Z28 was stolen from the parking lot of our work. Scary part is mine was parked right next to it a few hours before it was stolen. Bastards used a flat-bed truck to load it up and drive it off. He had Lojack from the factory which saved his ***. The police found it the next day. All the thieves did was **** up the ignition by trying to start it with a screwdriver. My car doesn't have Lojack and they probably would have taken it because I have wheels and a SS hood. I would have been screwed.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The real question here is wether to spend a few hundred on Lojack, or on a handgun.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BANDITCAR
To the original poster

The same crew that took your car is still going strong and still taking F-bodies left and right. I couldn't tell you how many Club cars we have lost.
These fools will stop at nothing!...we thought Katrina might have drowned all of em...but it just moved them around a bit.
Man, that SUCKS!! I don't live there anymore, thank god! I hated it before I even moved there, and I hate it even worse now.
It was a small bit of consolation to me that the bastards may have died in Katrina, but I guess it is typical that rats and vermin survive a flood.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
The real question here is wether to spend a few hundred on Lojack, or on a handgun.
Lojack. A handgun won't do you any good b/c you won't be there...even if you could use deadly force to protect chattel. (Unless you're in Texas! )
Old 04-05-2007, 09:31 AM
Launching!

i almost had my ws6 stolen... i fired a warning shot but actually tagged him... lucky he didnt die.... had to drag him into my garage ... NJ law cant fire unless they are in your home... crazy state....i dont think he will ever steal anything in his life again
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98ws61le
i almost had my ws6 stolen... i fired a warning shot but actually tagged him... lucky he didnt die.... had to drag him into my garage ... NJ law cant fire unless they are in your home... crazy state....i dont think he will ever steal anything in his life again
Old 04-05-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BANDITCAR
Here is one of them:
That is quite possibly the most depressing thing I've seen in a long time. Not to mention the guys taking the doors off, kinda creepy... probably watching whoever took the pics from a distance. :shudder:

And if my car is ever stolen, which is likely since I live around Flint MI then I'll just be compelled to buy a C5, or a c5 z06.

Last edited by shiv15; 04-05-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

around here all they steal are hondas
Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Some dumb *** stole my 87 formy back in the day. Guy took it on a flat bed wrecker and found it in ft.worth. was stolen in dallas. Guy was thirsty and stopped at 7-11 to get a slurpe and we he came out he was surprised to see the laws.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ino
Some dumb *** stole my 87 formy back in the day. Guy took it on a flat bed wrecker and found it in ft.worth. was stolen in dallas. Guy was thirsty and stopped at 7-11 to get a slurpe and we he came out he was surprised to see the laws.
It's good to hear that at least one of those bastards got caught! Texas being the way that it is probably executed him for that!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

Theres a guy in another forum who uses one of these for repo'ing cars.

http://www.sneekerlift.com/htm/pickup.htm

Quick Reply: Ever Had an Fbody Stolen?