General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Pulled over 2 times in 4 days, BY THE SAME COP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Stop by a lawyer's office real quick one day and tell him your story. See if he might be able to help with anything. Might end up not being as bad as you think.
+1 on that. your youth will either help you or hurt you in this case... depending on the judge. either they'll give you this chance to have learned your lesson or they'll say you're a stupid kid. good luck with it either way.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot. I will for sure look into the lawyer. If not, it is a very hard lesson learned.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Speeding is not necessarily dangerous. You are stupid to think that. Just think about Einstein's theory of relativity. If you are speeding relative to the given conditions, that is stupid. Think about it. Stay within the limits of your car. I used to get tickets, too. Live and learn. I had 5 in about 6 months and none of them went against me. Fight them!

If you don't want speeding tickets, get a bike or don't speed! :-)

The reason people don't wreck in the autobahn is because they actually know how to drive. Just look at all the retards in America. Look at all the retards in NASCAR. You are in slower cars going in a CIRCLE and they still wreck so many times. Look at Europeans in Formula 1. A much higher demand of skill and much faster cars. Granted, Europeans have a much more in-depth and lengthy process of getting a license.

Point is... Don't speed. Too many idiots around you to risk it.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slikrider20
I'm 19 and i've only been pulled ove once and that was a warning. Never will get one again.
Good Luck with that one!
Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDIT: Following isn't like a pissed off type of post, just a lighthearted reply.

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
if you don't think stopping speeders is serving, you're an idiot... plain and simple. and i'm not saying you in particular are an idiot, don't take offense to that. i mean the community as a whole.
Not as ignorant as people who don't realize that this bureaucracy is just one big money machine.
just last night (about 2am this morning) i had a 17 year old kid flip his explorer into a pole and die, BECAUSE HE WAS SPEEDING.
So, you were there in the passenger's seat right when it happened? I seriously doubt he was just driving along perfectly other than the fact that he was speeding, then suddenly fliped his SUV into a pole. Speeding might have been one factor, but it just as well might not have been.

And, you know what? If this wasn't out of the ordinary, you wouldn't have even told the story.

We've had five fatals in the last three years in our county. NONE of them have had speed listed as a contributing factor.

When cops are nothing but glorified meter maids, they are worthless for anything other than generating revenue for their county or municipality. They do not deserve any respect, only distain. They are a discredit to the many brave and honorable men and women who wear the badge.

let's get real, everybody speeds. i do 60 on rural highways in 55 zones out of habit. but if you're just cruising home, is it really necessary to do 20+ mph over the speed limit? probably not.
Apparently, you didn't read his post.

But, you're very right that speeding is inherantly dangerous and your opinions are not out of the ordinary.

Last edited by Sharpe; 04-06-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I feel for you man I've had my fair share of tickets one going 116 in a 65(4hr drive home, little traffic = me trying to get home quick, got a careless driving), it's time to slow down and/or buy a radar detector don't go cheap on one either $500 dollars now is better than thousands in court fees and insurance.

It was my understanding that the national 55mph speed limit was put into place to save on gas consumption not for safety is there any truth to this?
Old 04-06-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by killerinparadise
It was my understanding that the national 55mph speed limit was put into place to save on gas consumption not for safety is there any truth to this?
I've heard that too, but don't know that it's true. Same person told me that all highways were engineered for 70 MPH driving. Before my time...
Old 04-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the support, sharpe. I completely agree with your post.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
75 in a 55 = easy ticket for a Camaro/Firebird driver.

75 in a 55 = cop not looking twice at the Bonneville driver.

When driving my Camaro, I never speed anywhere near as much as in my Bonneville.

I totally agree, i think nothing of doing 15 over in my GTP(and never really get hassled at all), once in the camaro, especially after dark, I drive reasonably just cause all eyes are on it....it sucks but its true, at that point never really go over 10 over(or 15km/h).... Good Luck on fightin the Ticket, hopefully you get er dropped/lowered
Old 04-06-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1=Poverty
Thanks for the support, sharpe. I completely agree with your post.
I swear to you, I swear to you, though it sucks bad right now, in a few years, this will be nothing but a brief memory, a learning experience about the court system that everyone needs, and a good/funny story to tell people.

Keep your chin up.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Not as ignorant as people who don't realize that this bureaucracy is just one big money machine.
So, you were there in the passenger's seat right when it happened? I seriously doubt he was just driving along perfectly other than the fact that he was speeding, then suddenly fliped his SUV into a pole. Speeding might have been one factor, but it just as well might not have been.

And, you know what? If this wasn't out of the ordinary, you wouldn't have even told the story.

We've had five fatals in the last three years in our county. NONE of them have had speed listed as a contributing factor.

When cops are nothing but glorified meter maids, they are worthless for anything other than generating revenue for their county or municipality. They do not deserve any respect, only distain. They are a discredit to the many brave and honorable men and women who wear the badge.

Apparently, you didn't read his post.

But, you're very right that speeding is inherantly dangerous and your opinions are not out of the ordinary.

You're right, it is out of the ordinary. We've had 3 fatals in the last year, that's it. And this is only the 2nd I've worked. Speed was a contributing factor in ALL of them, with alcohol included in one.

No, I was not there in the passenger seat with him, but there was a witness who saw that he tried to take the corner too fast and lost control. The kid died because he was late coming home from a friend's house and he didn't want to get in trouble.

People's views on traffic cops don't much bother me, because I don't run traffic as a rule. I stop the occasional 20+ over (consider this is in town... so it's 50+ in a 30) and those oh so blatant blows through red lights. 80% of the traffic stops I make are knowns, or cars coming and going from known drug houses... because that's what I'm worried about.

Really, it all depends on priorities, and people have different priorities for different reasons. Keep in mind that probably 75% of traffic cops don't WANT to be on traffic, they aren't being given a choice. They do the job they're ordered to do to the best of their ability, and wait for their chance to do something better.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

No offence to cops but where I live they are all mostly lazy *** cops who just sit in their car all day with a radar gun glued to their hand. I even got a ticket once for riding with my visor up on my motorcycle and i was only doing like 20mph. Didnt even give me a warning or anything, but I made sure to let him know how I felt (5 mins of yelling at him and telling him what a waste of a uniform he was)
Old 04-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Teching In

hahahaha! thats awesome!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I pretty well agree with everyhint you said, especially the part about how everyone's views on right and wrong are different. That's why we have laws and courts and judges and juries.

Just a couple points, though:
You're right, it is out of the ordinary. We've had 3 fatals in the last year, that's it. And this is only the 2nd I've worked. Speed was a contributing factor in ALL of them, with alcohol included in one.
In my earlier example, speed none of the people were going over the speed limit.

But, what I'm saying is, just becase a person is going over the speed limit, or even becuase they were drinking, doesn't mean that it had anything to do with the wreck. Now, that doesn't jive with the law, but that's just a fact. Breaking traffic law may not have had anything to do with a wreck.

In the case of this kid, it sounds like speeding was. Sure. But, it's out of the ordinary, and the speed limit could have been 1 mph. Wouldn't have changed a thing.
Keep in mind that probably 75% of traffic cops don't WANT to be on traffic, they aren't being given a choice.
Municiple cops, I concur with your 75% estimate, and you were probably compromising. But, state cops? The highway patrol? What about them?

I'm out of this thread. It's ran it's course. Probably going to turn into an anti-cop Vs. Cops are great thread now, and for once it's probably quite a bit my fault.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Municiple cops, I concur with your 75% estimate, and you were probably compromising. But, state cops? The highway patrol? What about them?
i'm definitely not here to argue at all either, just making a couple points.

i can't imagine working for the state. IL doesn't have ticket quotas, but they have "contact" quotas, and every contact they make is traffic... eww. some people like doing that though, so yayhoo for them.

keep in mind that LOTS of state cops want those investigator/lab jobs and they have to work the street before they can get them!
Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

as stated earlier cops do pull over sports cars more...i drive a 94 altima, a 2002 f-150 and a 2005 Taurus and consistently do 15 over every single day and have never recieved a ticket in a vehicle besides my ta...

I can drive 15 over in anything else around here but 5 over in my TA gets me a ticket...
Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1=Poverty
I wasnt going 150, man. I was just cruising the one time, and the next, I was just going down a steep hill. doesnt take much to go from 50 to ~78 in that instance. I use my cruise control ALWAYS now.
It takes your foot of the brakes.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

eh it happens man...i had a 112 in a 55 on a permit. i got cuffed and thrown around by a really large state trooper, and learned my lesson. just chalk it up to experience...when you go to court get a bar lawyer and have him pull the "honor student good kid just a bad mistake first time" yada yada and chances are youll just end up with a fine and driving school.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

keep in mind that LOTS of state cops want those investigator/lab jobs and they have to work the street before they can get them!
Will do. Will do. Good talking with ya.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To the Original poster: It happens to all of us. I had my bad streak between the ages of 16-19 where i got plenty of tickets and pulled over many times. But now being the ripe age of 23 i've long since learned my lesson's. I'm not here to preach, just slow down and do it on a back road if you must kick it up. I've been known to open it up on backroads but main highways and such, i keep it about 4-5 mph above and have NEVER been bugged. live, pay, learn.

Quick Reply: Pulled over 2 times in 4 days, BY THE SAME COP!