General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Coolest Cop I've Met

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Ok apparantly you're not able to understand this. And he probably got cancelled after he was enroute which happens all the time. And lets assume for a second that he just didn't want to wait at the light.....well thats one of the perks of the job I guess. Assuming you could even even pass the written test, the agility test, the interviews, background investigation, credit check, polygraph, medical screening and some more interviews then you could do it too!
Yeah, yeah. You're making up POSSIBLE excuses for a situation you heard about second-hand. Do you realize how ridiculous that is? It's not a 'perk of the job,' it's abuse of power. If you enforce certian laws, you should be held to them as well, or there's no point in their existence in the first place.

I'll admit, what you said COULD have happened. But it's just as likely that he was abusing his powers. Neither of us can prove it, but I was at least there to see it.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by IFRYRCE
Yeah, yeah. You're making up POSSIBLE excuses for a situation you heard about second-hand. Do you realize how ridiculous that is? It's not a 'perk of the job,' it's abuse of power. If you enforce certian laws, you should be held to them as well, or there's no point in their existence in the first place.

I'll admit, what you said COULD have happened. But it's just as likely that he was abusing his powers. Neither of us can prove it, but I was at least there to see it.
That's ridiculous. What he said PROBABLY happened. It's happens to me at least once a shift.

I've had complaints called in on me for just such an incident. I turned on my lights to blow through a red light and then turned them off, why do I think I have the right to do that, yadda yadda yadda. I guess next time I'll pull right up to the residential alarm call with my lights and sirens blaring.

I suggest that all of you who want to bitch and moan about everything cops do make an attempt at getting in on a ride along for a couple shifts. Just take the time to learn about it, and try to understand some of what goes on before you pass judgement on everything. Everyone thinks they know exactly how it all works but unless you've done it you have no idea.

I don't try to act like I know all the in's and out's of your job, because I don't do it. Don't act like you know mine.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

This argument is ridiculous. Fine, that's what happened, he got called to something, then got called off. Clearly you know because you were there/have been in similar situations, so that's what happens all the time. You win. Grats on internet arguing.

Back on topic...

Last edited by IFRYRCE; 06-08-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

This argument is ridiculous. Fine, that's what happened, he got called to something, then got called off. Clearly you know because you were there/have been in similar situations, so that's what happens all the time. You win. Grats on internet arguing.
Think about what we're trying to say, instead of getting your panties in a bundle.

We're saying that it's highly possible (if not likely) that that's what happened. Without being in the car, no one knows, you included... so don't jump to conclusions.

We're NOT saying you're a liar.

If he turned his lights on simply to run the traffic signal with no cause, he was absolutely abusing his power.

But think about it: The dude's working a 12 hour shift. He's either in a hurry to be somewhere, or he's bored out of his mind and doing nothing. I can assure you that is 100% true. If the latter is the case, he's absolutely not flipping his lights on to run through a light... just to continue driving around town.

When you're looking for something to be happening, the slower you drive the better. You can't see anything when you're flying around.

Another thing to consider is that he may have been trying to catch up to a car, whether to run the plate or because he thought he recognized a known with a warrant.

People complain about stuff like this all the time, lots of times there are simple explanations that people don't realize because they're just not exposed to it. Spotlights in the rearview mirror help light up the interior of the car. Backup units on traffic stops help quiet some of the macho feelings that sometimes causes stopped drivers to go apeshit and make a simple situation very bad.

You get followed a few blocks from time to time NOT usually because he's waiting for you to do something he can pull you over for. I can find pc for a stop on 9/10 cars you show me without watching it being operated. There could be several reasons...
a. He's running your plate.
b. There may have been an incident earlier involving a similar vehicle. You say "but I drive a silver SS with a manta stripe, tt2's, and a berger panel... how can you think it was me?," but it's not unique to 99% of drivers on the road. The most common vehicle desription on that car would be nothing more than "it was a silver car," if that.
c. He's seen you driving like a complete MORON while he was off duty and he's taking mental note of who you are. Remember, cops don't fall into a black hole when they're off duty... just because you don't see a squad car doesn't mean there's not a cop around.
d. If you were screwing around earlier in the day or on a previous shift, he may have gotten a call on your vehicle and you just never got caught then.

IFRYRCE - My point is/was, you don't know the job. Try to consider that before you jump to conclusions. Look at it from another angle, consider other possibilities.

Last edited by jbuerke142; 06-08-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jbuerke142
We're saying that it's highly possible (if not likely) that that's what happened. Without being in the car, no one knows, you included... so don't jump to conclusions.
You, too. If I, who was there to see the situation, can't make a conclusion, you can't either, no matter if you've had similar experiences.

Look, the guy's shift consisted of sitting at the movies where I work for eight hours, making sure little kids don't fight. I left before he did, and he flew by me only to get stopped at the light. I caught up, cause the light was red, and when it turned green, he doubled the speed limit on that road trying to avoid the light ahead turning red. When he couldn't make it, he flashed the lights for half a second and went through. I saw him stopped at the red at the end of that road.

Sh*t, my shift was nine hours that day, and I didn't run any lights on the way home.

I thought about what you're saying. It's entirely possible what you're saying is right. But cops DO abuse their power, and, since I'm the one who saw that particular situation, I'd say he was. That's NOT a safe road to be going that speed on, and if he was on a call, then his lights should have been on.

You're absolutely right, I don't know the job, but he wasn't trying to catch ANYONE. There were NO cars ahead, only about 5 of us leaving that light. It was just past midnight, maybe closer to 1:00.

I don't know the job, you don't know the situation. So like I said, both of us ought to just drop it. No sense arguing when apparently neither of us know jacksh*t.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

You, too. If I, who was there to see the situation, can't make a conclusion, you can't either, no matter if you've had similar experiences.

Look, the guy's shift consisted of sitting at the movies where I work for eight hours, making sure little kids don't fight. I left before he did, and he flew by me only to get stopped at the light. I caught up, cause the light was red, and when it turned green, he doubled the speed limit on that road trying to avoid the light ahead turning red. When he couldn't make it, he flashed the lights for half a second and went through. I saw him stopped at the red at the end of that road.

Sh*t, my shift was nine hours that day, and I didn't run any lights on the way home.

I thought about what you're saying. It's entirely possible what you're saying is right. But cops DO abuse their power, and, since I'm the one who saw that particular situation, I'd say he was. That's NOT a safe road to be going that speed on, and if he was on a call, then his lights should have been on.

You're absolutely right, I don't know the job, but he wasn't trying to catch ANYONE. There were NO cars ahead, only about 5 of us leaving that light. It was just past midnight, maybe closer to 1:00.

I don't know the job, you don't know the situation. So like I said, both of us ought to just drop it. No sense arguing when apparently neither of us know jacksh*t.
I like how more and more information gets added every time.

First he just ran the light.

Next post, he'd stopped up the road.

Now you can outline his entire shift.

That must be a pretty rich city you live in that's willing to pay out for an 8 hour movie theatre detail! Is there PD provided Applebee's security too?

We merely tried to point out the possibility of something outside of your realm of thinking, but obviously because you saw and know everything about the guy and what he was doing that night... we shouldn't have wasted our time.

You're right, he was abusing his power. Contact the city and tell them that he should be fired because you SAW!!

Last edited by jbuerke142; 06-08-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Look, the guy's shift consisted of sitting at the movies where I work for eight hours, making sure little kids don't fight.

Oh, so now you're an expert on this departments tour length?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

And you wonder why police officers get disgruntled when dealing with the public. I am not going to get in the middle of the argument that the cop hit the lights just to get through the light. Here's a good example....
This happened at 4:15 pm on a Friday

Dispatch-"2william246"
2William246-"Go ahead"
Dispatch-"Hold up alarm, old national bank, no answer on call back, it's the live alarm in the drawer"
2William246-"Clear enroute"
2William23-"Enroute"
2Sam23-"Enroute"
2Edward234-" Edward234, We'll be enroute till you get further"
Dispatch-"Clear on all units"

My partner and I are 2E234, and there have been three bank robbery's in the past 6 months, all ended in car pursuits, one ended with the robbers shooting at police, another ended in the robbers killing themselves. So it's Friday evening, good time for a robbery. No one on call back. So every situation starts going through your head.

We are running code 3(lights/sirens)driving in the median since no one knows what the red an blue lights behind them mean.

We get off the highway and onto the Expressway, stopping all lanes of traffic.

Dispatch-"Disregard, we've made contact, two units stay in route code 1 to make sure"

So there we are, in the middle of 6 lanes of stopped traffic, everyone looking at us and we get a disregard. We turn onto the Expressway and shut the lights/sirens off.

On our local newspaper board that night someone posted about how they were on their way home from work and how the police turned their lights/sirens on to get through traffic then shut them off. Someone told them there was a bank robbery call at that time. The person never replied.

Another quick example is getting an accident with injury call. We go code three. Another unit gets there before us and says there is no injury. So right after we get done running code 3, passing people we slow back down with everyone looking at us thinking we are abusing our power. But thats not the case.

3rd shift doesn't use their sirens that much, the sound carries to far and gives us away. 2nd shift we have to because there is so much traffic. It's hard to sneak up on someone going code 3.

Ok, I think i am done.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Man, cant wait for my criminal justice degree. Hate on me if you want, I cant wait to become a copper =D
Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

I'm not even arguing this anymore. It's pretty clear nothing I say is being read, you pretty much just repeat the same stuff anyways. Here's food for thought:

Last edited by IFRYRCE; 06-08-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not even arguing this anymore. It's pretty clear nothing I say is being read, you pretty much just repeat the same stuff anyways. Here's food for thought:

thats a great pic