General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Do you use your t-tops.
Yes!, Any chance i can.
85.00%
No, i don't enjoy them.
6.92%
What T-tops?
8.08%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

T-Tops

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickedlildragon
In Texas, I take them off as often as I can....people laugh at me, cause I get weird tan lines from the seatbelt......lol....my b/f says i need to let him drive more so I can even them out.....haha...fat chance....i told him he shoulda kept his 3rd get formula then.....
lol, maybe you should put in a three point harness, at least you'd get symmetrical tan lines

I can't believe so many of you guys don't like t-tops. I love mine. I have my car parked in my garage right now with the t-tops off just waiting to go for a ride. Don't leak at all either

Edit: I just looked at the poll and realized it's 172 - 11.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

I love mine. T-tops put the sunroofs I've had in past cars to shame. They're a lot lighter than I would have imagined too, for being glass.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

I would have prefered to buy a hardtop car or even a vert when I was buying my Fbody.. I either wanted it to be an all out cruiser (vert), or more of a racecar feel with a hardtop. i got a good deal on the ttops and didnt think I would use them much. Boy was I wrong. I love the car with T-tops and I wouldn't trade it for a Vert or Hardtop!!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

i love my t tops, they come off whenever it is 50 or warmer and not raining. i wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Liked them but after a bit I got tired of taking them off/putting them back on repeatedly. I stored tools and such in the back hatch which made it impossible to attached them securely as the factory intended. After awhile, they rarely came off. I then bought my current vert and things couldn't be easier or more pimpy IMO. Hell, I even have a TRUNK now to store my crap!
Old 06-19-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Since I rarely drive with mroe than one passenger, I just stick them in the back seat, where they fit pretty snug. Keeps me from having to walk all the way back to the trunk.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

it takes me all of 10 seconds to remove/install each top. so like...20 seconds in total to be cruisin in style and comfort while being closer to nature T-tops are pimp. they give you the rigidity of a hard top with the open air feeling of a vert. its really the best of both worlds, not to mention they look so much better than the other options. imo. of course im biased
Old 06-21-2007, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

I had a 95 z28 hardtop before I got my SS and I thought I would never use my T tops, but it's exactly the opposite...the only time my car gets the tops put back on is when I wash it...otherwise it sits in the garage with the tops off under the cover.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
it takes me all of 10 seconds to remove/install each top. so like...20 seconds in total to be cruisin in style and comfort while being closer to nature T-tops are pimp. they give you the rigidity of a hard top with the open air feeling of a vert. its really the best of both worlds, not to mention they look so much better than the other options. imo. of course im biased

20 seconds total...impossible

rigidity of a hard-top, no way, they can twist alot more than a hard top.

Looks? Not.

Don't get me wrong, still awesome cars, I almost bought 2 t-top camaros before my vert, but just had to set the record straight because you aren ot making sense.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

why wuldnt it take only 20 sec total for t-top removal/installation? thats about how long it takes me for the job. the only problem i have is trying to plan whether or not its gonna rain.

looks? definately so. i get so many looks when the tops are off. the car simply looks hott. convertibles look really good when the tops are down, but when the tops are up - they just dont look right, imo.

rigidity - im pretty sure the hardtop is the more sturdier of the 3 options (hardtop, t-top, 'vert), but the t-top is strong, nontheless.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by King Nothing
from time to time i miss my camaro's that had t-tops but now i love having a hardtop SS . . . . for the simple reason of, how many hardtop SS' do you see?
Ive got one...

I love having a hard-top. I dont have any squeaks and rattles from the chassis being so flexable. I've only owned Hard-top camaros (5 of them ) but my fiance owns a t-top WS6, so I get to enjoy t-tops when Im rolling in her ride at least.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

taking off the tops is really quick. im sure i could do it in less than 20 seconds if i was rushing. the part that takes the longest is probably pushing the button and opening the hatch.
as for ridgidity, yes youre right, hard top is definately stronger, what i meant to say that t tops would be more ridgid than the other open top options. i.e. vert or targa(vette) ... do the t-top cars have the extra bracing like verts need?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

I could care less about the t-tops. I bought this car for two reasons: the motor and the aftermarket parts.

In all honesty, I'd prefer a hardtop simply because I don't take the t-tops off, so I'm wasting the option.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy
taking off the tops is really quick. im sure i could do it in less than 20 seconds if i was rushing. the part that takes the longest is probably pushing the button and opening the hatch.
as for ridgidity, yes youre right, hard top is definately stronger, what i meant to say that t tops would be more ridgid than the other open top options. i.e. vert or targa(vette) ... do the t-top cars have the extra bracing like verts need?
Yeah I was thinking maybe not impossible, but at normal speed it has to take close to a minute by the time you unlock them(I hope you lock them, heard horror stories), walk around the car, scratch yourself, step in gum...whatever

The bracing only comes factory on the 'vert f-body's...not that it makes it as rigid as a t-top, I don't know that either way. But I do know my car is plenty rigid to use all the power it has, and plenty of vert guys are alot faster than stock and they handle it too. Though many do add the SFC's.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 seconds might be pushing it. Rushing a little bit, I have gotten them off and stowed in 30-45 when I've been stopped at a light and decided that I wanted them out.

Of course, I have you all beat as far as taking them off... 9 seconds, that's the length of time it took my car to get off the line and to the 1000' mark where they flew off.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ****, both? Dayam!!!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

why are we getting into a dick waving contest on how long it takes to take off and stow the t-tops? who cares? it takes me all of no seconds to do mine because i have a hard top!. if i had a t-top i would take my sweet *** time just to argue with yall because i have nothing better to do.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:39 AM
Launching!

I like my t's but i dont use them every chance i get. just lazy i guess. great when they are out though. If i had to do it again or just got another 4th gen i would get a hard top bc im planning on installing a cage for future safety requirments and a cage in a ttop car looks weird to me. im sure others may dissagree but thats my .02. no cage then ttops all the way.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take them off? Why? I had a convertible, it was a pita. Mine have been off once, just to make sure the covers would fit and to put the stickies for the covers on. But I sure do enjoy seeing the open sky without the hassle of opening myself up to the environment. I love seeing the sky, just not having to endure the heat, smell, etc. JMHO. So much better than a moonroof, and mine have never rattled or caused any other issues.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 AM
12 Second Club

I love my t-tops, the only thing about Fl is, you never know when u gonna gat rained on .lol. especially in the summer time. I like the t-topt since I had my first Nissan 300zx, and now in my SS, they're the bomb!