General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

stock horsepower rating

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '02DirtyBird
Just curious, if they make 350 then why do they advertise them at lower HP. For example they say my '02 WS6 is 325. Why wouldn't they just say 350?

because thats ford's job
Old 06-16-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
It's the same motor, but different exhaust systems and intake lid. I'm thinking my z had somewhere over 310 stock, but with adding the borla and lid, I must be up around 350. I agree they all have the same 350 hp engine, but crappy intake and exhaust can definitely drain you of 30+hp.
Nope. Even bone-stock 1998 automatics (lowest dyno #s) will dyno 280rwhp, which translates into roughly 350chp. The Vette's better exhaust is off-set by the losses through its IRS and they will dyno the same or less than a comparable F-body.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
Nope. Even bone-stock 1998 automatics (lowest dyno #s) will dyno 280rwhp, which translates into roughly 350chp. The Vette's better exhaust is off-set by the losses through its IRS and they will dyno the same or less than a comparable F-body.
Hmm...I'm thinking an IRS shouldn't give more drag than solid rear, maybe a little, but not significant I would think. And maybe it's less than I think, but people replace the factory lids and exhaust for a reason, so it has to affect by a few hp anyway. I agree with you though that LS1s are LS1s and all kick a ton of *** give or take tenish hp.

EDIT: On the other hand, an auto trans DOES have higher losses than a manual, so in hypothetical identical cars with an a4 and an m6, the m6 will have more whp right? Well I guess you were talking about CHP though...

Last edited by Shooter_Jay; 06-16-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

plus don't forget about the ls6 intake on the later models, but the put the milder cam in to keep it even come to think of it.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh God. please stop. i can't take it anymore.

LS1 f-bodys and LS1 corvettes have the same horsepower at the crank. f-bodys dyno a tad HIGHER because of their solid rear vs. the corvette's IRS, assuming they both have the same transmission. a magazine did a direct comparison. the f-body dynoed higher. the corvette will beat the f-body in a race because they are a few hundred pounds lighter and more aerodynamic.

[/thread]

anyone that tries to disagree with me is wrong. this has been PROVEN.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

I was just about to ask this same question. So my 02 Z28 must have around 350 horses or so. I knew they advertised them as having 325 on the net.

How easy is it for the LS1 to beat a Hemi? I let my cousin use my car the other night for work, since he had no gas and he said a friend of his from work has a Hemi. Didnt say what kind of car, just the engine size. They did 3 honks on a rolling start. He did say, he let him get ahead some before he punched it and quickly caught him and beat him.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I was just about to ask this same question. So my 02 Z28 must have around 350 horses or so. I knew they advertised them as having 325 on the net.

How easy is it for the LS1 to beat a Hemi? I let my cousin use my car the other night for work, since he had no gas and he said a friend of his from work has a Hemi. Didnt say what kind of car, just the engine size. They did 3 honks on a rolling start. He did say, he let him get ahead some before he punched it and quickly caught him and beat him.
a hemi what? an SRT8 charger? even 2.73 geared A4's run half a second faster in the quarter mile than SRT8 chargers. hemi chargers are so heavy, an M6 has the potential to run an entire second faster off the showroom floor. an SRT8 charger is a ~14.0 car.

it's pretty simple for a stock f-body to walk an SRT8 charger if you don't horribly screw up the driving
Old 06-16-2007, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

RAM AIR adds another 2-300 HP at least.......
Old 06-16-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
a hemi what? an SRT8 charger? even 2.73 geared A4's run half a second faster in the quarter mile than SRT8 chargers. hemi chargers are so heavy, an M6 has the potential to run an entire second faster off the showroom floor. an SRT8 charger is a ~14.0 car.

it's pretty simple for a stock f-body to walk an SRT8 charger if you don't horribly screw up the driving
Every stock Hemi charger/magnum or people I've talked to see run on the mainland has pulled ~13.5 with the SRT-8 version in the low 13s..

Not to mention that SRT-8 chargers/magnums come with 440hp. Thats quite a bit more then the 385hp the Hemi comes with.

They are faster then 14.0 cars. Just because your barely in the 13s and beat one doesn't mean you'd beat one in the 1/4.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Launching!

oh God. please stop. i can't take it anymore.

LS1 f-bodys and LS1 corvettes have the same horsepower at the crank. f-bodys dyno a tad HIGHER because of their solid rear vs. the corvette's IRS, assuming they both have the same transmission. a magazine did a direct comparison. the f-body dynoed higher. the corvette will beat the f-body in a race because they are a few hundred pounds lighter and more aerodynamic.

[/thread]

anyone that tries to disagree with me is wrong. this has been PROVEN.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

unless that camaro was a ss and had slp options then i wouldnt think it had 325 more like 310 like people have been saying probably lower if its a A4 o and tell that guy to

hes just trying to make some money.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Dont know, he didnt tell me the type of car it was, just that it had a Hemi.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Another question, if i just decide keep the exhaust i have, am i able to put bigger tips on it?

When i get a chance, ill take some pics of the exhaust system. Looking at the Ls1sounds.com website, the only one's i can really compare em to by look are the Bassani Aft Cat or even the Magnaflow exhaust and the Borlamouth tip's look.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
...Justin00SS is exactly right!! I work for GM and every single LS1 produced, makes 350HP at the flywheel! No matter if it was a Z28, a SS or what! This has been a highly debated topic for years. But I can assure you that they all make 350HP.
Thats not necessarily true, bc the SS cars that were sent to SLP came exhaust,lid, and tuned for it so it came with more horses. So to say they All came with 350hp is not true.

Also the LS6 intake difference so 01/02 cars came with more power..
Different heads on some year models, also the cam size differences..

Not for sure about this but i think that some years had bigger injectors also.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by That_guy
unless that camaro was a ss and had slp options then i wouldnt think it had 325 more like 310 like people have been saying probably lower if its a A4 o and tell that guy to

hes just trying to make some money.
OMG! Pay attention

Last edited by INMY01TA; 06-17-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Justin00SS
Every stock Hemi charger/magnum or people I've talked to see run on the mainland has pulled ~13.5 with the SRT-8 version in the low 13s..

Not to mention that SRT-8 chargers/magnums come with 440hp. Thats quite a bit more then the 385hp the Hemi comes with.

They are faster then 14.0 cars. Just because your barely in the 13s and beat one doesn't mean you'd beat one in the 1/4.
i haven't seen one run that, that's for damn sure. my friend's mom has the hemi 300C and i know i'd give it to that car. every one i've seen is around 14's.

barely in the 13's? 13.6 isn't barely in the 13's, especially for a catback only car in the middle of the summer on a 70+ degree night. give me a cold day and with my mods know, i can likely turn a low 13 or better. i think that's pretty good for putting $400 i mods on my car, and i don't plan on much more anytime soon. you can have fun breaking your ****. i like my daily driver how it is.
Originally Posted by Reidonly
thanks for pulling the article. i didn't feel like looking for it.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bjamick
Thats not necessarily true, bc the SS cars that were sent to SLP came exhaust,lid, and tuned for it so it came with more horses. So to say they All came with 350hp is not true.

We've already discussed that.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Hmm...I'm thinking an IRS shouldn't give more drag than solid rear, maybe a little, but not significant I would think. And maybe it's less than I think, but people replace the factory lids and exhaust for a reason, so it has to affect by a few hp anyway. I agree with you though that LS1s are LS1s and all kick a ton of *** give or take tenish hp.

EDIT: On the other hand, an auto trans DOES have higher losses than a manual, so in hypothetical identical cars with an a4 and an m6, the m6 will have more whp right? Well I guess you were talking about CHP though...
The IRS will cost you about 10-15rwhp. People replace factory intakes on Corvettes, too. Please check the GMHTP article above.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bjamick

Ahhhhh now come on damnit! Don't try to hang me on a minute technicality. Before the ******' cars were sent to SLP thet damn things had the same horsepower. Of course when you send 1 out of every 100 made, to a performance upfitter....then they'll have more horsepower! What I have PROOF of and what is the standard practice with all GM employees and everyone that knows anything is.....before SLP or Anyother shop gets a hold of an LS1 powerd car....all LS1's were built with 350HP at the crank.

That's the last time I'll chime that one in.....if you have a problem believing that....then it's a personal problem within yourself. Good day sir.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 AM

yea sending it to SLP is after the fact. all of the LS1s come from the factory with about 350 hp. that doesnt necessarly mean that they come from the dealer with 350 hp.