General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did you guys know what you were buying befor you got the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had always known what these little cars had. I saved up all my money for a long time and finally bought my dream car, thats right my dream car. This car has been a absolute blast to own.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I knew once I was 3 that I would buy a Trans Am now I own 2
Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

when you were 3 lol, pretty funny...
Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Teching In

I'd been researching LS1 cars for a long time and I've been waiting to own one. I signed up on this site a while before buying but had been reading before that. I know several people with various LS1 cars in different stages of modification and I really started to learn the little perks about them. I think I was hooked the day I hanging around my buddy's 00 SS on the dyno at school while he tuned for a 150+ shot on a mostly stock setup. I was impressed actually and I started to look into the cars at that point. Going into my own purchase I had already driven both LT1 and LS1, both Camaro and 'Bird, and both A4 and M6. I knew what to expect, thats why my modifications have been coming along pretty quickly. I'm 6 weeks or so into ownership and I'm already mapping out some thorough plans.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew exactly what I was getting into, when LS1 f-bodies came out I planned on getting one when I could. The only problem was that I was living in Japan so I decided to get one when I returned to the states, I actually bought mine before I even returned so it was waiting for me when I got there.

The first time I actually saw an LS1 Camaro was in Yokosuka Japan back in '98, that only made me want one even more. I would have bought one in Japan but due to import laws any American car built for Export is pretty much impossible to bring back to the states
Old 06-26-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did! When I started high school in 97 my parents were buying a new Grand Prix in the fall. So in the showroom was a brand new Black WS6 98. New body style for the 4th the dealer said. From that day on I told my parents that I was going to save my money and I would buy one the day I graduate from college. 7 years and 4 months later I bought my 00 Red WS6 with money that I had invested and done well. I hadent even graduated from college yet, and I found it. This car was my dream car, no doubt It was something that I HAD to have one day, and I wanted it while I was young. Thing is Ive been a member on here since 03 and have read and read and read. So I knew everything that I could about the car. Since I bought this car Im addicted to this thing. I eat, sleep, and drink this car. God bless GM.

Last edited by Smokin00WS6; 06-26-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
i was just wondering how many of you actually KNEW what this type of car was and what it could do befor you got it?
i baught mine knowing that it looked cool and had some power, and frankly i was tired of the little rice burners around town talking about how hot **** they were with there cars, so i figured ide beat them in a stock car that i knew had a big set of ***** danglin under the back. BUT i didnt realise that there was a whole other world to this car, and for the first month or two i had no idwa about tech and all the little things, but then after joining here its like this car is a little peice of history and we have big time rivals and what not. i just thought it was kind of interesting that i was buying a car that looked cool that i would sell in a year or two to realising that i NEVER want another car lol
Holy Crap youve been a member on here for only about 4 1/2 months and you have over a 1000 posts. That is crazy. Nice. Post ***** .
Old 06-26-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
Holy Crap youve been a member on here for only about 4 1/2 months and you have over a 1000 posts. That is crazy. Nice. Post ***** .
hey, i work the streets and get around ok ... naa i just have like 3-4 hours at work where i do nothing at all, then home for maybe an hour or 2 lol
Old 06-27-2007, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

kinda.
I'd owned a 3rd gen (88 GTA) previously, but a 13-year jump gave some differences, both expected and unexpected.
I'd read a lot of very good things about the LS1s, and also wished my T5 were as strong as a T56. When a dipshit lady wrecked my car, I suddenly found myself buying a 01 T/A.
It was weird- some stuff was exactly the same, some stuff kinda, some stuff compeeetly different.
I knew the frames were the same, and so the strengths/weaknesses, so I could immediately jump into suspension mods (SFCs, LCAs, PHB, etc.), but the engine was a question mark- didn't know anything about LS1's, besides their rep as fast ****. There is a difference between reading about fast cars and then owning one.
Oddly, the view out back (via the rear view mirror), was for me at least, tiny in comparison to the 3rd gen. I think that's because of the roundedness.
Getting leather seats was an unexpected step up (what, no 4th gen t/a's with cloth?!) but the quality of the rear interior was surprisingly crude in comparison to my old car (which had a light in the well, heavy plastic instead of molded felt, and a lockable compartment on the left side).
And I get better gas mileage. sure wasn't expecting that!

-sectari
Old 06-27-2007, 03:20 AM
Launching!

I was driving a 96 z28 and wanted a WS6.I was looking around and found my 98 Z28.All I cared about was that it had an LS1 at the time.So instead of paying over 15k for one, I paid less then 1/2 that.
I found Tech looking for parts and mods online.I just read all the posts all the time,trying to figure out what I was doing,then I joined.
Now im saving alot of headaches and money,buying the right stuff the first time.
And I get to learn and laugh alot within the LS1 community.
Not a bad deal at all
Old 06-27-2007, 03:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i did a ton of research on here before i bought my car. i knew what i was getting into. however i beleive that there is two types of f-body owners, the ones that buy it because its fast and looks cool, and knows squat about the internal workings/little secrets that only the LS1tech junkie knows, then there is the LS1tech educated junkie owner that buys it because he/she sees the potential to be faster and and look cooler than it already is.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Where else can you get a bone stock 13 second 1/4 mile car for around $7-8
grand.The LS1 Camaro is the best bang for the buck.A lot of people are not aware of it.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

I was originally looking at a 2001 Mustang GT that was at the same lot my car was, but they sold it and I thought mine was just a six, so I shrugged it off until the salesman got my attention to it. Two days later it came home with me and I haven't looked back at the oval......except in my rear view.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 AM
Launching!

Wow absolutely, I had been invovled with theese cars for over 2 years now, including motor swaps and such, until i could finaly buy my own!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was between the ages of 8-10 my grandma recorded smokey and the bandit and every time we went to grandma's I'd watch that movie. I believe it was '76 with a 400 in it.
I became obsessed with Trans Ams and then when I got a bit older I noticed Trans Ams and Camaros were similar cars.
About the age of 14-15 i started looking at cars to buy when I had enough money to do it. The only cars I could afford would be a 3rd gen. Till I was 17 I was completely obsessed with them and didn't even look at the 4th gens cuz I couldn't afford them. So I was really wanting any Iroc-Z thinking they were the best and I thought they looked a bit better than the LT1's, cheaper too.
Then my parents crushed my dreams when they said there is no way in hell you will ever get a V8. But what about all them racing stories dad told me about? So my dream faded a bit and I got a grand am. Always in the back of my mind I knew I'd get one and I'd show them. I kept saving and saving. By the time I was 19 I had enough money. Everyday i looked on ebay for one. Then I turned 20 and discovered autotrader and looked some more, still no luck. Then I joined the military for some reason and my dream faded away some more. I could never have one of these traveling all the time, who knows they could put me in Alaska. Then I got stationed back home and I immediately looked for one and found one a few months later. Here I am and I have learned a lot thx to all you guys. I knew these ones put out the most HP and I didn't know much about mechanics, but I knew they looked bad *** and burned rubber and that was good enough for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
i was just wondering how many of you actually KNEW what this type of car was and what it could do befor you got it?
i baught mine knowing that it looked cool and had some power, and frankly i was tired of the little rice burners around town talking about how hot **** they were with there cars, so i figured ide beat them in a stock car that i knew had a big set of ***** danglin under the back. BUT i didnt realise that there was a whole other world to this car, and for the first month or two i had no idwa about tech and all the little things, but then after joining here its like this car is a little peice of history and we have big time rivals and what not. i just thought it was kind of interesting that i was buying a car that looked cool that i would sell in a year or two to realising that i NEVER want another car lol

Old 06-28-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

my brother had a modded 99 Trans Am a few years back. I was like 16 or 17, driving a pick-up truck. after a little time, his car built on me and since I was about 18 I've always wanted to have one. he got rid of it before I bought one, and yet today he still wants another (just don't have the finances). I ended up having the job & the credit to obtain one. So I test drove 2 stock LS1 Trans Am's last year, one auto, one m6. they were fast, but I felt like my GTP was just as fast.

But what made me REALLY want to buy one is when I drove that m6 last year, rolled down the windows, looked at the mirror and drooled over the curves of the back fenders. So I thought I'd find one that was already modded and a lot faster than stock. I rode a greyhound bus to Cleveland (from Oklahoma) and drove the car all the way back home it feels & is SO much faster than stock.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i should have dropped the bottom out before i bought mine
Old 06-29-2007, 11:53 AM
SCRWS6

nope, was gonna buy a Mazda 6....no mazda dealer within 100 miles, next was a new GTO....guess nobody at the dealership thought I could afford it.....drove down the road and BLAM there she was sitting at the dealership on one of those upraised circular pedestal things.....I got out walked up to her and a salesman appeared at my side and dropped the keys in my hand.....was fate

First V-8 ever....had no idea....I thought the WS.6 meant it had a 5.6L engine.....WTFWIT?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought mine used with low miles in 2002(its an 01 SS) from the dealership with SLP LT's, dummy cats, Whisper Lid, Maganflow catback. I had no idea it was not stock with exception of catback until 2 years later when I knew more. I could not get on LS1tech for the longest time, because it was blocked at work. LSX's are just awesome now that I know. Wonder if the competition knows, how much potential these engines have. I just always hated mustangs and any Fords, so this was the direction.