General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did you guys know what you were buying befor you got the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did you guys know what you were buying befor you got the car?

i was just wondering how many of you actually KNEW what this type of car was and what it could do befor you got it?
i baught mine knowing that it looked cool and had some power, and frankly i was tired of the little rice burners around town talking about how hot **** they were with there cars, so i figured ide beat them in a stock car that i knew had a big set of ***** danglin under the back. BUT i didnt realise that there was a whole other world to this car, and for the first month or two i had no idwa about tech and all the little things, but then after joining here its like this car is a little peice of history and we have big time rivals and what not. i just thought it was kind of interesting that i was buying a car that looked cool that i would sell in a year or two to realising that i NEVER want another car lol
Old 06-23-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

I was the same way. I bought my Z/28 months before I joined tech. I was just a big Camaro fan (had a handfull of 3rd gens) and new that the '98 and ups were the quickest ones out there. I found the car after searching on autotrader.com. I made some mistakes though (paid too much, car had some small issues, etc...)

The SS is a different story. I had been a member for almost a year, knew exactly what I wanted, researched all my options, and now I am VERY happy with the car I have now.

I consider the Z/28 a learning experiance on many differnt levels, and like you, I learned there is so much more to these cars than what I thought. The only problem is now I am broke from spending all my money on mods!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Granted mine isnt an 8 cylinder I had my daily driver go down on a Friday afternoon (transmission died). I had been saving to put a down payment on something just didnt know what I was going to buy I had looked at everything in my price range. I remember test driving the vert two weeks prior but they were asking $15,000 for it.

When my car died the vert happened to still be on the lot and it was available for an autotrader price of $11,000! Long story short I bought mine simply because the amount of car I got for that price was unbeatable.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Absolutley! The whole reason I have this car is because I knew what they could do right from the factory let alone with bolt on's.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, well if i would have known more i would have gotten one of the special edition ones or something, but still im quite happy with my choice. the guy i got it from was only a small dealership dealing with mostly mercedes,bentlys,vipers,bmws, rich people cars and there were only 18 in the showroom, but i gotta tell you only the viper and my car stood out parked side by side. and well here we are today still happily married lol
Old 06-23-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I joined tech when I started looking around for an LS1 camaro a couple years before I bought my Z. I schooled myself on here in addition to what I already knew, so I knew exactly what I wanted and why, and then that's what I finally ended up with the perfect car for me, my 02 m6 vert Z28 in black and chrome.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha! well, i don't know much about cars, but i definitely liked the f-bodies before i got mine. i actually have a good story behind the reason i decided i wanted a camaro. my aunt and uncle renewed their vowels in August, and on the day, he wanted to take his car and go clean it. he owns an 02 camaro, but just a standard v6. well, suprisingly he let me drive it and i absolutely loved it. then a month later i found my car sitting out front at a small dealership for $13,900 and with only 21k miles on the beast! only one person owned it before myself and took great care of the car. i plan on keeping this car for quite a while seeing how i'm 18. who knows, this car might stick with me forever if i'm lucky!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the reason i ended up with my first WS6 is because i bought a 2001 mustang GT and it had been flooded and they didnt care to cover that in the buying,

so i mentiond lawsuit and the guy said i will order another Gt from another dealership in any color etc... or i could pick a car off the lot and pay half the difference.

so i looked around and found a pweter WS6, looked cool, salesman took me for a spin and i was hooked! 4 mo later joined tech and havent looked back, had a 01 WS6, 99 vette, now another 98 WS6 W00t!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

There was no LS1 Tech when I bought my first LS1 car. Only LS1.com was around, and that was before that site went gay.

My first LS1 was a '99 Z28 that I bought brand new in July of '99. I really didn't know the first thing about LS1s, other than the fact my 3rd gen ('89 Formula 350) was aging and I wanted to get a new F-body.

I found LS1.com shortly after, and hung out there till this site opened up in 11/01.

Little did I know back in '99 that I'd later buy two more LS1 F-bodies, and that I'd be hooked on these cars for my foreseeable future. With each LS1 that I've owned, I've learned a great deal. I've tried all sorts of different combos, built up the cars with different intentions at different times, and these days I'm just enjoying the simplicity of cruising with a minor bolt-on car. Everything from stock to wildly modded has it's own appeal for different goals in the LS1 world.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
and these days I'm just enjoying the simplicity of cruising with a minor bolt-on car. Everything from stock to wildly modded has it's own appeal for different goals in the LS1 world.
lol i need to learn this, the speed feeling needs to go away so i can just be happy with a stock ls1
Old 06-23-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Tuner_06
my aunt and uncle renewed their vowels in August
did they renew their consonants too?

I really didn't know what i was getting into when i bought my car either. I new it looked sweet as hell and it had a V8 in it... good enough for me. About 2 weeks after having my car i found ls1tech and i know so much more about it now, and cars in general then i ever would have dreamed. Tech is also the reason i want to mod it too, without tech i wouldn't have found out about all the mods and performance gains.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by 05 GSXR 1XXX
lol i need to learn this, the speed feeling needs to go away so i can just be happy with a stock ls1
LOL, I'm not sure that the speed feeling ever goes away, I've just decided that I prefer the hassle free simple nature of a mostly stock LS1 on the street and to build a seprate car for the track.

I've gotten to a point in life where one car can't do it all for me. I'm too picky.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:23 PM
12 Second Club

defintely knew what this car could do before I bought it...thats why 2 months later, it has full bolt ons and heads. lol.

next up is cam and rearend and then the track. but i'll take it to the track on DR's and see if i can't blow up that pesky 10 bolt.

Chad
Old 06-23-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had ponchos all my life , can am, grand prix. grand am, firebird, and finally my beautiful trans am. To me the trans am is the defeniton of pontiav. Don't get me wrong I love the Gran Turismo Omologato also but the Trans Am to me has always been in a league of its own. Style, power, head turning and just overall it gives me that great feeling when I sit in the drivers seat. I always wanted a muscle car and always wanted my dream car. And the Trans Am is my dream car......now I have to get one in every generation and I am set lol lol
Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CockerKid009
did they renew their consonants too?
lol....my bad, *vows* is that the correct way?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

yeah i stumbled onto this site looking for hid lights on google, ended up coming here and looking around and next thing you know im on here daily learning new things
Old 06-23-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Drove A 05' Mustang GT, It Was Cool, But Then My Friend Let Me Drive His 01' Camaro SS, Then I Knew It Was Ment To Be....
Old 06-23-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

love at first shift?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I knew what i was getting from the start my buddy let me borrow his 97 and some riced up turbo eclipse tried to race me i walked him easy and i was hooked after that. I originally tried to find an ls1 but they were to hard to come by around here and when you did they were outrageous priced
Old 06-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Default Kind of Knew - Now Wow

Read a lot of reviews on the TA , Corvette and Camaro. Everyone loved the TA LS1. I was leaning toward the Corvette until I saw mine. On the web. 2002 NHRA TA Vert. One of only 46 in the world in A4 configuration. 29k miles. I drove 468 miles to get the car and do not regret it. This car is me. Super rare and my 4th F Body. 1975 Formula 400 4spd, 1978 TA 4spd, 1979 TA 10th Anniv. (I still have it) and now the 2002 NHRA LS1. I had no idea how fast the thing would be...this car is scary fast and the Monsoon stereo can cause hearing damage. I can only say that everyone should have one!

Last edited by 2002_NHRA_TA_CONVERT; 06-23-2007 at 09:57 PM.