General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Did you guys know what you were buying befor you got the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doomsday
I just always hated mustangs and any Fords, so this was the direction.

...Yeah, even when I bought a cool ford, it wasn't a mustang, becuase mustangs were everywhere, I went with the T-bird SC, which is a very cool car in it's own right. Check out www.sccoa.com. Nicer, but not near as fast as an ls1.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
I had always known what these little cars had. I saved up all my money for a long time and finally bought my dream car, thats right my dream car. This car has been a absolute blast to own.
I use to think that I was the only one that liked these cars this much and I thought it was all old guys that owned these cars and few kids whose parents were rich..i guess there are more people like me out there. Low 20s with nothing else to spend their money on....well nothing else i want to spend money on.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have loved the F bodys since i was a kid.. i had owned a 3rd gen, realy bad *** 2nd gen, and then a C4 corvette (and 1 mustang -)

i had wanted a 4th gen for a long time.. but for some reasons never bougth one.. just worked on my freinds cars and ride in them..

one day i was at work, working on my own mercedes E class, lowering it, putting 18" rims, new grille and things like that, when i went out for a test drive i drove past a carsale i saw 98+ car that i knewed some old fart had owned for a long time, i drove in to the carsale, and saw that it was a M6 car so i had to test it.. and you know.. there was no turning back, i called the owner and asked if he wanted a nice mercedes, being in his 60's he did, so the Camaro was mine after 2 days or so,

it realy hasn't bin realy good to me.. 2days after i got it the clutch started slipping, and i noticed that the power steering was leaking, then the passenger power window had a mind of his own.. but thats was allrigth, the car was realy low milage, and so tigth and unmolested, but after i had driven it something like 1500 miles it spuned a bearing..

but.. now i have builded a new h/c/ motor, modded the hell out of the car and fixed everthing that was wrong with it.. an man.. cant wait to start drive it agen,

only.. i wish it was a 2002
Old 07-04-2007, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Ive always knew I wanted a trans am since around the age of 12 and was out of town with my parents when a 98-02 red ws6 t-top rolled by and i dont even remember hearing what it sounded like but the look hooked me. Along with the rice eating looks, desire for a fast t-top car, and a nasty sounding exhaust ive always loved them. I found one just down the road from my house and fell in love. Once I got it I had no idea what kind of power it had but done some short research and discovered how many horses these put down in stock form.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I use to think that I was the only one that liked these cars this much and I thought it was all old guys that owned these cars and few kids whose parents were rich..i guess there are more people like me out there. Low 20s with nothing else to spend their money on....well nothing else i want to spend money on.
Exactly, i think we were wrong lol
Old 07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I grew up with my dad's f-bodies...

2nd gen to 3rd gen and I finally jumped on the 4th gen bandwagon.

Personally I've owned a 3rd gen and now my 4th gen and am looking forward to trading in my daily driver 07 Monte Carlo SS for the 09 Camaro.

I knew what a LS1 was and wanted it since reading about the LS1 back in 96 and praying to god that it would see the light of day in the 4th gen.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
Exactly, i think we were wrong lol
Oh I was definitely wrong...but i still don't know very many kids around here that have one.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Oh I was definitely wrong...but i still don't know very many kids around here that have one.

true, most everyone is 20s or older it seems... not many in teens area
Old 07-06-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Definitely, which was why I decided to get one. I looked at a LOT of cars, not within the same category at all. I will admit I've learned a lot (that's part of it though, right?) since owning it, and I don't think I would have with maybe most of the other cars I was thinking about. I looked at a lot but never really considered many, at most it was the f-bodies, Mustang GT's, Porsche 944's, c4's, lexus sc400, 300zx, and a few more. It was a 2 year process! In the end I'm glad with what I have, may be time for a change though. (or at least a M6)
Old 07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 LS1
Definitely, which was why I decided to get one. I looked at a LOT of cars, not within the same category at all. I will admit I've learned a lot (that's part of it though, right?) since owning it, and I don't think I would have with maybe most of the other cars I was thinking about. I looked at a lot but never really considered many, at most it was the f-bodies, Mustang GT's, Porsche 944's, c4's, lexus sc400, 300zx, and a few more. It was a 2 year process! In the end I'm glad with what I have, may be time for a change though. (or at least a M6)
I was looking at c4's, 3rd gen's that I could build up, certain caddy's, 300zx, 350z's, saleens, m3's, grand prix gtps, 3000GTs, SS Monte's, Stratus R/T, but I ended up picking the right one!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Not completely. I knew that the Formula's are fast, and that F bodies were the some of the meanest street cars around, So I bought mine.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

I half way knew what I was getting into. I knew teh basic history of F-bodies and i knew that they were fast mean american V8 cars. My dad had a brand new 94 Z-28 when i was 3 or 4 years old. I loved that car and it had me hooked for the rest of my short life. lol SO it figures i was looking high and low and saving all my money for a camaro and an LT1 camaro at that. I wanted one like my dads. Well then my dad shows me this Trans Am in the paper. We go see it and I'm in love. Never would've thought I'd be drving a Pontiac. I bought it for $7900 from a private seller 87k miles all lightly driven by a woman and maintained by her husband. They were the second "owners" the original "owners" being Richmond International Raceway which used it to drive Rusty wallace around the track for pre race cerimonies at the Pontic Excitement 400. They showed me this paper that proved but wouldn't let me have. pissed me off but o well.

Oh yea I'm 17 and still learning everyday bout this car.

Last edited by xXSilencerXx; 09-08-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Resident

yup. There's a LOT of f-bodies in Fuel ****. I knew what was good and what wasnt ahead of time.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just really loved the look and been reading about the ls1 for years and just bought it
Old 09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

wow, i completely forgot about this thread. lol
Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

april 18, 1998 my dad got a call from the local chevy dealer telling him that the truck he ordered had arrived. he asked me and my bro (i was turning 16 3 months later, he was turnin 17 a month later) if we wanted to come along. we pulled into the back of the lot, and saw a white '98 SS. we called our older brother who was talkin about buyin a ws.6 and told him to come check it out. then we pulled around to the front and saw a silver ss sittin by the front door. we walked in and there was a black ss sitting inside, next to a white vette vert. older bro shows up and decides he wants the vette. somehow we convinced my dad to buy the black SS for my bro. i had known a little bit about the slp ss's from a different brother who fell in love with the 4th gen z28's when he was in high school, but the ls1's where a mystery to me. unfortunately, 8 months later the ss was totalled and my parents swore they'd never buy me one. i have lived for these cars since that fateful april afternoon. by the time i got my first one i thought i was pretty knowldgeable about the ls1, but now i realize that i knew very little, and am addicted to learning more about these things!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts

First of all, great thread. It's cool to hear everyone's experiences.

As for me, I was an old school Pontiac guy. But when the 4th gen Firebirds came out, I loved the styling and the performance was up there with the old musclecars. I was thrilled when I bought my first 94 Formula in 1997 with 33,000 miles on it. I thought it ran great. I ended up having to sell it because of a tight financial situation, but a couple of years later I bought a nearly identical one. It felt so great to be back in a V8 Firebird again.

But then I came across an opportunity to buy an original 69 Judge. I had to sacrifice the second Formula to do it. I drove a beater 69 Grand Prix for two years while I was getting the Judge going, but then I knew I needed another Formula.

I came within a hair of buying back my second LT1 car when I saw the ad for a 2000 LS1 Formula at a local dealer in summer 2003. I'd already seen LS1 vs. LT1 dyno results and was stunned at the rwhp that the LS1's were putting down stock. I wasn't sure I could afford it, but I went for it. The rest is history ... found tech a couple months later and been havin' a blast with it ever since.