General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Finally getting an LS1...I hope

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Finally getting an LS1...I hope

Found a 98 Z28 with 68k on it. The lady is asking $8900 for it. It is red, M6, black leather, Monsoon, ttops, stock as a rock, and in great shape. I offered her $8000 just because she said make an offer. There are a couple of people coming to look at it tonight but she is giving me first opportunity. Only thing is the car is in Michigan and I am in Iowa. Anyone buy a car from a great distance? I obviously will drive it and check it out before for sure buying it. I just have this thought in the back of my head about driving all that way and the car isn't worth it. She said it was in excellent shape though and the pictures she sent me show it. What should be the highest price I pay for it though? I figure if I could get it for around $8500 that would be pretty good. She is the second owner and the guy before her babied it. It has a new clutch in it, new tires as well. It has the factory ground effects though and I am not too keen on those, but they aren't too bad. I wont let that stop me from buying it though. I hope everything works out with this one. Any opinions?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me personally, 98 was the year I wouldnt even consider when I was looking for one. Different heads, PCM, and a few other various things. They are pretty much the vintage LS1 already. As far as the price, thats your call. Weight it out again other similar LS1 cars out there.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Id say look at it.. I got my 98 trans am with 70k some miles m6 runs amazing for the price its decent id go look at it first though.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Well take a look at it if its what your looking for and its in good shape get it. The long drive is just time to get to know your car, I went with my brother to get a WS6 that was a good 7 hour drive back. It was a fun ride back compaired to the ride down in his 01 impala.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

She said she would split the difference of what I offered and what she is asking for it. So it would be $8450. The fact it's a 98 doesn't bother me. It's not like I am going to be building up a monster or anything. Just some bolt ons and MAYBE a cam a year or two down the road. From what I have seen on this site there are plenty of bad *** 98 cars anyway. My buddy had a 98 WS6 with a catback, lid, and LS6 intake manifold that put down 333 RWHP and trapped 110. She said the car does not consume any oil. If I get there and the car is not what it is cracked up to be then I can turn around and come back home. I enjoy road trips anyway. So should I check it out and if everything is up to snuff buy it for that price? To me that seems like a pretty decent deal. It is in my price range with relatively low miles.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well post up some pics of it and lets see what your looking at.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Where is the car in MI? If it is somewhere nearby I could probably check it out for you PM me. Or maybe I'll buy it myself, j/k.

Brian
Old 07-17-2007, 04:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Well post up some pics of it and lets see what your looking at.
This is the only pic that I have at the moment. She is sending me more this evening. I asked for a bunch of interior/exterior and engine bay shots. When I made this thread I expected the pics to be sent already but they weren't, haha. Anyway, it looks like she lives in a nice house, that's a plus too so the car must have been taken good care of.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
. Anyway, it looks like she lives in a nice house, that's a plus too so the car must have been taken good care of.
Think so? I think the interior of a car tells you how well its been taken care of. Looks pretty good. Keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Think so? I think the interior of a car tells you how well its been taken care of. Looks pretty good. Keep us posted.
Yeah I was just kind of being dumb. She said there is some wear on the drivers seat but my LT1 car had that on it when I got it with 31k. I will be able to tell better when she sends the pics.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id say go for it. Check it out, the guy who bought my TA came from MI and drove it back.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I sent you a PM. I can most likely check it out for you if you get me an address or phone #. Car looks good and the price is quite good. I have had my car long enough I think I know what to look for on these cars. I wish I knew what I know now when I bought mine.

Brian
Old 07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

very nice car IMO, and 68 on the clock for a 98' is AMAZING IMO
Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks to be in good shape.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought my car from southern Iowa, it was about a 2hr drive for me. I went up one weekend and looked at it and drove it, then drove up the next weekend with one of my buddies and drove the car home. That morning sucked cause the waterpump on our faimlys dodge truck went out the night before and my dad needed the truck by noon so I had to get up and take it to work and do that then drive 4 hours round trip to get my new car, it sucked but was well worth it.

When I sold my AWD talon the guy that bought it was from Ohama, NE. He did the same thing I did, came down the weekend before and test drove it and actually put a $300 down payment on it then came down the next weekend and picked the car up and drove it home.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 PM
9 Second Club

Well I got the rest of the pics. Let me say I am a little disappointed. First off she kept telling me the car was in great shape and nothing was wrong. In the pics I noticed a little paint rubbed off the very bottom of the front bumper. She also decided to tell me that there is a crack in the passenger side window. I will post up some of the pics here shortly. I wont pay $8450 for it I don't think. She would have to knock a couple of hundred off. I was all excited because she said the car was so perfect and then I find these things out. 00PewterSS (Brian) is going to try and check it out for me though. Would you guys buy something with those little problems I mentioned?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Well I call the scraped paint thing normal, especially since it has the ground kit, but use it to your advantage anyway. The window, find out what it costs to have done, with labor and all that, also use that as bargaining material. Both of those are very minor, you probably cant see the scraped paint very well anyway.. I would say make it 8k firm. But dont be surprised if she doesnt budge, the car will sell because of its looks. Dont settle for anything you dont want.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Ok here are a few of the pics.

She said the car had the spot on the bumper when she got it.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

looks nice. never been a fan of that particular "body kit", but the inside looks nice.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

The paint doesnt look super shiny red.. it looks a little faded red. The rims look ghosted, so you might want to get a close up on the color. When i got my red t/a the paint was ok, but after some tlc it was back to bein shiny red. So wax will help you there. The wheels look like they dont shine much, so you might wanna check that. Other then that id go for it... give you money for repairs and mods..Good luck