General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Hows your A/C running?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hows your A/C running?

Just out of curiosity, Does your A/C run cold ALL the time, while driving OR sitting at the light?

My wife and I recently bought this SS and have noticed that at the light when the car isnt moving the A/C starts to warm up a bit. But once your moving it cools down and feels ok.

Its been a while since I've had a car with A/C problems, and so I wonder if it just has to do with the air flow to the condenser, or if this needs to be checked out.

This is a vert, so I dont know if its a soft top thing that keeps the interior air from being more consistant.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It probably needs a recharge. Mine is cold whether the car is moving or not. Of course it get a bit colder at speed with more airflow and compressor RPM, but it's still cold even when stopped.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^+1 it may need a little refrigerant, however my car I can't tell when im sitting because I have T-tops and it seems when im sitting it warms up a little more. But thats also because you don't have air moving across the condensor. I think thats about normal with any car.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

I was just going to post a thread about something like this, but I'm sure theres a million a/c threads so I'll keep it here.
When I bought the car, the a/c was pretty cold, over a couple of months it turned into a wait for a little while and then it will cool down, and now it dosnt get cold at all. I bought the filler gauge which shows it at about 32-34 psi so i think it has enough 134a, but I'll probably put in another can to be sure. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think thats a little low when the compressor is running. Should be around 90PSI with the compressor off... and 40-50 when its running. Sounds like you have a slow leak somewhere. Does the compressor cycle on/off? Or does it run continuously?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

take a look at the condensor and your fans. If they have a bunch of stuff in front, or not a lot of air is moving across them, the efficiency of the system will decrease because the discharge pressure from the compressor will skyrocket.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I'll have to check, however that stuff kinda sounds like a different language to me. I don't know much, well anything, about a/c.
But one can of 134a made my ac cold again, we'll see how long it lasts
Old 07-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

Mine always blew cold in my Z28, then after it broke down my friend broke the compressor line (the one that bolts on) so I need a new line.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not really a wise idea to mess with the cans of 134a, they are very imprecise, and if you do overfill the system, you can lock up the compressor and require it to be replaced. yes it costs a little more to get a shop to look at it, but in my mind it well worth it to leave that particular aspect to the profressionals.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

you may be right.

however, when i was adding the can, i noticed that the air wasnt getting colder at all until it sounded like something turned on. once that turned on, the ac was suddenly cold. i don't know why that happened but we'll see how it works out.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Then you are really low on refrigerant... there is a low pressure switch that if the system gets too low your A/C compressor will not come on. You need to read the pressure on the low side (where you fill the refrigerant) and it should be about 45-50 PSI when the compressor is running. But at idle with the A/C on your compressor should run all the time not an on/off situation. You can look at the compressor itself and watch the clutch engage by looking at the middle of the pulley. When its not running the middle stays put and the pulley around it spins freely, when you engage the middle will move as well.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

Mine runs great now since we replaced an a/c hose and accumulator.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackfang
Mine runs great now since we replaced an a/c hose and accumulator.
Did you or do you now have the symptoms I initially stated when starting this post? The warm up then cool down in stop and go situations?

Quick Reply: Hows your A/C running?