General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

My dilemma (sort of long, scroll down for cliff notes lol)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My dilemma (sort of long, scroll down for cliff notes lol)

Okay guys here is my dilemma. I am 21 and go to college and I finally got enough money to purchase a car. Ever since I got into cars my favorites have been intercooled Turbo Regals and LS1 powered Trans Ams and Camaros (six speeds). Now that I am so close to purchasing a car I don't know which one to choose. I know that only I can decide what is best for me but you all may be able to make my decision easier. Can anyone help me with my decision? I am trying to look at all aspects like insurance, reliability, maintenance, dependability, response to mods, and overall value. I really don't want a car that will break down every other week. Being an older car I know that a GN might have problems if it wasn't probably taken care of but that could go for any car, new or old am I right? I have turned to you guys because I trust your knowledge and experience and I am pretty sure that most of you have been involved with cars for far way longer than I have. I know that this is a 4th gen website and some of your opinions will be biased, but please give me your honest thoughts and opinions or tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes.

Cliff Notes: Which should I get, a Buick Grand National or an LS1 Trans Am.
Thanks

TJ
Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the T/A! It will be newer than the G/N, and will be better suited if you are looking for a daily driver.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Get yourself a T/A.Everyone knows how well the LS1 responds to mods.It also a very reliable engine.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

t/a for daily drivin...grand nationals are project cars...sick ones at that
Old 07-26-2007, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Default Thanks

Thanks for your opinions guys. If you have anymore keep them coming and anyone else reading has any thoughts please chime in.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Fist car was a G-Body. Put a Chevy 383 in it.

That said, the T/A will be a panty dropper. Both will get you tickets, but the GN is a ghetto drug dealer's car. Only hard core guys are going to know and respect the GN. To most people, it will look like a criminal's ride.

I'd say get the TA and expect a slight increase in road head.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:18 PM
12 Second Club

TA. I've owned a Regal-T and driven some TAs. Loved the Regal-T but the TA is the far better car. Plus the TA is more likely to be reliable and cheap to run. Turbo cars, even great ones like GNs, are more likely to bust than NA cars. This is especially true when you're comparing a 20 year old turbo car to a 5 year old NA car. For a college student, stay NA.. Get your FI fun after you graduate and you can more easily afford to deal with breaking stuff.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

If you have a daily driver or can afford to get a daily driver I would get a TR cause the value on them keeps going up. If you go to sell it in a few years from now you wouldn't lose that much money on it. Also being a 20 year old car, it will sorta be a money pit. Before you make a TR fast you have to get it in top running condition before spending money on go fast parts. Also, there isn't that many people that can work on a TR if it goes down-you will have to do all the work yourself (learn how to) or have another TR owner help you out. A T/A would be a wiser choice in my opinion, it's more practical. BTW, I drive a GN as a daily driver and for months nothing will happen to it then everytime I go to drive it something will happen.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

I'd go for the T/A. My LS1 Camaro is a great car, the motor is really reliable (provided you don't abuse it like I did, two 360s to show up a bunch of ricers at 6k rpms is not good for a motor, though it went two and a half months before giving out-I never knew a thing until it said goodbye ) and people seem to like LS1 F bodies more (the general public anyway). Mine is almost fixed though, just waiting on a few more parts.....
As has been said, the T/A will be the easier car to drive and will have a bigger following than the GN.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I have been talking to a few of the Buick guys and they are basically saying the same thing. I guess I will wait till I am finished with school to get a GN. Now all I need to do is find a 6 speed LS1 TA for around 8,000 and I will being joining the gang
Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Get a TA. You wont be disappointed!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tj1986c
Now all I need to do is find a 6 speed LS1 TA for around 8,000 and I will being joining the gang
They're everywhere. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

TA !!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

TA it is then!!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I say the TA because its a likes like 15 years newer and chances are, will have lower mileage.

With the TA you can have a manual transmission (if thats your cup of tea) while the TR will be straight automatic.

LS1 cars are freakin' hardcore reliable and are generally problem free providing that excellent maintance is performed on a regular basis.

My little brother has a 99 TA (his first car... when he was 16) and the car has over 110,000 miles and still running like a top. Its a bone stock automatic car that has been taken well care of. He found the car at a carmax here in Tennessee for $8300 dollars. She doesn't leak a drop and has never failed him.

My first car was a LT1 Camaro, it leaked a bit, but was generally a excellent car. Daily drove her for about 5 or 6 years.

In a nutshell, its really hard to beat the reliability of a properly maintained fbody nowdays.

Can't go wrong either way, so good luck with whatever you choose