General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Few questions

I posted this in the CTS-V section but I have gotten zero responses. My car is a CTS-V and has an LS6 so this is an LSX automobile related thread.

Can you convert a CTS non hid headlight over to hid. I asked this a few weeks ago and was sent to a another forum that I cant get on due to restrictions on the computer (government computer in Iraq). Everything on my headlight works, the lens is just cracked and if I can get a non hid and convert it, it will be a lot cheaper! Also, has anybody eles had a CTS passenger side headlight crack on the bottom running toward the top. Its only about .5" long. Dealer said its not covered under warranty cause someone could have hit it or something but I know its never been hit. But I found one for sale on ebay that has a crack in the exact same place! If I could find enough of them in the same place I might get them to change their mind about covering it under warranty! Just a thought.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

anybody?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

anybody?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

yes, just get a HID set up for it, should work fine as far as i know
Old 08-09-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

I doubt it unless theres a recal for that EXACT model, I had a friend with a caddy that had a leakin injector that built up on the manifold and caused his engine to catch fire and total his car. I forget his exact year but the recal was for 96-98 and his car was a 95, even though it was the same engine it wasnt covered and he had to eat the car, Dealers are very strick when it comes to these kindas things
Old 08-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Teching In

I dont think the bulb will plug right in, HID bulbs are sized differently than say a 9006 or 9007. You just need the headlight housing not the bulb, right? What is the price difference?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
yes, just get a HID set up for it, should work fine as far as i know
I have hid headlights and they work fine. The lens for the whole cover just has a small crack and lets moisture in and then it looks like crap seeing condensation on the inside of the lens. As long as a non hid headlight has the provisions for the ballast and the correct projector, then I can just swap them. Which 1meantransam thinks I can. I just dont want to spend $100 on a headlight and then turn around a sell it just to spend $300 on the right one.

I cant go to any website that will host pictures so I added the ebay link to the picture of what the crack looks like. This is not my headlight but has the crack in the exact same place. This picture is only to show the crack and because I cant host just pictures, so please dont deleate because I used a link to ebay.
CTS headlight
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

ohh ok, i didn't undetstand you're question. sorry i have square headlights i can't help lol sorry man
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MattcoZ28
I dont think the bulb will plug right in, HID bulbs are sized differently than say a 9006 or 9007. You just need the headlight housing not the bulb, right? What is the price difference?
Right. Just the housing. Sorry if my question was confusing. I havent talked to dealer yet mainly because I know its going to be expensive and I'm in Iraq! Really the only looking I have been doing is on ebay and the prices run any where from about 100 for a non hid up to over 300 for a hid. But that is the whole headlight with bulbs, projector, ballast, and everything. If I could find someone with just the housing, that would be perfect.

So the question still remains. Is the housing the same for a HID as non-HID?