General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

WS6 or Mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMmexican
he does make a point, a good cobra will go for about $30,000 +....a good ls1 will go for about $14,450, thats how much mine cost with low miles and extended warranty . A whopping $15,550 dollar difference!!!!!
You must not know much either, since Terminators sell for low 20s all day with some even in the high teens. Give them a few more years to depreciate like LS1s have had and the prices will be the same. $30k is for a Kenne Bell or Twin Turbo Cobra.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

OP - There is alot of mis information in this thread about machs. Some of it is correct, but most is not. I can't blame anyone, since they are only posting what they know. But if you really want to know about them, please PM me......If you have made up your mind...then that's cool, and good luck with it, since the WS6 is a bad *** Fbod. But, please don't make your choice based on 90% of hte posts on here (or on the mach 1 threads either).

And GMMexican.....term. are low to mid 20s. Only the morons that think they can re-coupe their mod money are 'asking' upper 20s and higher. And they are ~3650 pounds..not 3800. Still heavier than an Fbod of course, but not as high as you perceive them to be.

OP - FOod for thought....310-320 RWHP is not Full bolt on. That is about half the bolt ons, with a decent tune.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ponygt65
OP - FOod for thought....310-320 RWHP is not Full bolt on. That is about half the bolt ons, with a decent tune.
Interesting. One more thing to consider then: 310-320 rwhp with bolt-ons for the Mach... my stock WS6 laid down 310 (okay, 309 to be precise) in late 2000. Later LS1s were even stronger... I know a lot of stock LS1s that were in the 320s. Without bolt-ons, which means completely within the parameters engineered from the factory. Which, in my opinion, means less chance of breakage.

So maybe something to consider for the original poster if he's looking for that power range.

And I'm surprised to hear about the Mustang being heavier than an F-body at that point in time? I always considered the WS6 to be the porkiest of the entire Pony Car crop (well, the WS6 TA anyway). Can you elaborate on when the Mustang took away this heavyweight crown?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TripleTransAm
Interesting. One more thing to consider then: 310-320 rwhp with bolt-ons for the Mach... my stock WS6 laid down 310 (okay, 309 to be precise) in late 2000. Later LS1s were even stronger... I know a lot of stock LS1s that were in the 320s. Without bolt-ons, which means completely within the parameters engineered from the factory. Which, in my opinion, means less chance of breakage.

So maybe something to consider for the original poster if he's looking for that power range.

And I'm surprised to hear about the Mustang being heavier than an F-body at that point in time? I always considered the WS6 to be the porkiest of the entire Pony Car crop (well, the WS6 TA anyway). Can you elaborate on when the Mustang took away this heavyweight crown?
I agree.... the LS motor is great for power....anyone that denies that is an idiot. YOu can't get mid 400s N/A in a 4.6. I personally dont' think peak HP is everything. In fact, it is lower on the list of importance when it comes to drag racing, IMO. If the OP is looking for high HP numbers....then the LS is a better way to go, unless he wants to go FI.

As for weight....the mach and Fbod are pretty close in pounds (pending Fbod options). The 03/04 Cobra is what is 3650. The mach is 3450 (depending on where you read it. LOL )
Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

The 4V stangs are nice and fun to drive, they rev real high and handle well. If you want to go fast, get the Mach, if you want to go really fast, get the LS1, I know from experience. In my experience, it seems to me that the LS1 responds to mods better. Check out my sig, thats what I had and its almost an exact Mach engine. PM me if you need to, I'm pretty good with mod motors... or was...
Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mbm88
The 4V stangs are nice and fun to drive, they rev real high and handle well. If you want to go fast, get the Mach, if you want to go really fast, get the LS1, I know from experience. In my experience, it seems to me that the LS1 responds to mods better. Check out my sig, thats what I had and its almost an exact Mach engine. PM me if you need to, I'm pretty good with mod motors... or was...
As I stated...I agree that the LS responds good with mods. It's a pushrod....it's gonna love the everyday bolt ons. But, I have to disagree with your 'slmost an exact mach engine'. There are plenty of differences between teh N/A cobra and the mach.

ET wise......they are a couple of tenths off from each other. And since the WS6 weighs in more than a standard fbod (correct if I am wrong) the two cars in question are going to be near identical, in stock form.

With LS motors....you use bolt ons, H/C/I to get very nice power without touching internals.....with Mod motors, you use FI. The motors are just TOO different in design. It's like apples and oranges....both fruits (no comments guys LOL), have seeds, and round...but that's it. everything else is completely different.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I mean oval port/b series, cams, etc... But conceptually they are similar, I don't even think conceptually conveys what I am trying to say, but I can't proper;y articulate it. I fully understand what you are saying though.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMmexican
he does make a point, a good cobra will go for about $30,000 +....a good ls1 will go for about $14,450, thats how much mine cost with low miles and extended warranty . A whopping $15,550 dollar difference!!!!!
Then toss 16k in mods at a ls1 and you'll be as fast as a termi with 500 bucks worth of mods.
and 30k plus?? uhhh just saw a white 04 28k miles for 18k. .........
Old 08-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Teching In

of course the cast Iron bloc in the MACh 1 throttle responce and gears,... but tha LS1 ws6 ( i have 1) is b E Autiful !!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by prince_ws6
of course the cast Iron bloc in the MACh 1 throttle responce and gears,... but tha LS1 ws6 ( i have 1) is b E Autiful !!!!
Cast Iron Block in a mach 1?...

Sit down, before your hurt yourself.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mbm88
Yeah I mean oval port/b series, cams, etc... But conceptually they are similar, I don't even think conceptually conveys what I am trying to say, but I can't proper;y articulate it. I fully understand what you are saying though.
Surprisingly..I understood all that.

Quick Reply: WS6 or Mach 1