General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are F-body's overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it funny that people are treating the LSx cars like they are 1st gens
it's one of this many so I want a mark up on it even though I've modded it and several things don't work . . . wtf
ultimately a car is worth whatever someone will pay

would someone Hiro to 2030 and let me know what my cars are gonna be worth?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

it all depends on the seller of course. I found my 99 with only 35,000 miles for 11K. I thought that was a great deal.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

I'm currently looking at a flawless 98 SS. Blk/Blk Chrome wheels, M6. 26,000 miles, bone stock. I think it can be had for 12k.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,791 Likes on 1,277 Posts

ALL makes/models have some examples on the market that are overpriced. Also plenty that are right in line.

Don't judge local market price by book value. Value and "going rate" are two different things. Cars that are typically owned and sought after by enthusiasts will usually bring well more than their "book" value on the private (or even retail) market. Their demand sends prices above their true value.

But deals are still out there. I paid $14k for my '98 Z28 back in 2004; fully documented, original owner, all stock, mint condition. It had 11,000 miles at the time, and it consistantly scores 97 points at judged car shows. Car is basically spotless. At the time in '04, I was seeing F-cars in MUCH lesser condition with more miles listing for $3-8k more than mine. Not sure what they actually sold for.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
F-Bods have not held their price nearly as well as Mustangs. That argument alone kills all which you have erroneously "come to think."
Huh? You think a GT holds its value better than an f-body? Ford is one of the fastest, if not THE fastest, depreciating brands in America. The Mustang is the most dime-a-dozen sports car in America. Mustangs depreciate incredibly fast, way faster than a f-body.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

well i think its 1 thing to ask for more if its a H/C car... obviously getting H/C isnt cheap and its a lot of work... not to mention H/C and full bolt ons... obviously there going to ask for more money.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
I paid $21,500 for my car 1.5 years ago. Sure I would have liked to get it cheaper but it was just what I wanted. I do not plan on selling the car anytime soon so I wasnt worried about taking a hit 2yrs down the road if I wanted to trade it in. So is it a car you plan on gettin rid of in a couple years or keeping a long time? If you plan on keeping it it may be worth paying more and getting exactly what you want. And camaros/birds def hold their value well if they are well kept. No matter what blue book says. Now a 98 cavalier with 20,000 miles in perfect garage kept condition is a different story....

I will keep it for a while, but it will be my dd and I will deff rack up the milage.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chae
Got my 1999 Black 6-Speed Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with 48k miles on it with all power options, leather, traction control, A/C, rear window defogger, Monsoon stereo, etc. and completely stock and unmolested for $10k. It is a HARDTOP on top of all that. There are deals out there, you just have to look hard enough. I got that price 2.5 years ago after searching for 15 months. You get the idea. There are deals, but you just have to be patient.

However, if you can settle for an LT1 you can get those with 80k-100k miles on them for around $4000. Then you can make it a 383 or 396 stroker. Or you could mod a similarly priced "fox" body mustang.

I'm not sure why, but I'm hooked on getting an LS1. It's probily due to the fact that they react well to being modded.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 PM
11 Second Club

there are too many factors to say.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks to all of you out there answering my thread.

I just saw a 96' Maxima 5 speed with a blown motor, and might be working something out for the mean time, this way I don't rush into the car.

I'll let everyone know when I make a decision.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRealSpdFreak
I will keep it for a while, but it will be my dd and I will deff rack up the milage.
In that case just look for a nice car that your not gonna feel bad about puttin mileage on. Like the others said some good deals are out there. No sense in paying a premium for a low mileage car.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Just to give you guys a backround of where I got the stang idea, I was at the local meet in town, and other than a couple of Camaro's there are some Mustangs. One guy with a 5.0 GT was telling me a the good stuff about the car and hat he didn't pay much for it, so I guessed I would throw the idea out there that I should purchase a Stang for the mean time, but like so many have said here, I should just get a dd and save up for the car I want.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

On anather note, hows the market in the winter as far as cars available? Are there more out on the market or less?

Thanks again for stepping in and adding to the mounds of helpful information on this site.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

A nice fox body would be great but you cant even find a nice one for under 5g's. Buy yourself a $1000 beater and save up. Oh and you cant go wrong with a 90's civic. Easy to work on and last forever.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Huh? You think a GT holds its value better than an f-body? Ford is one of the fastest, if not THE fastest, depreciating brands in America. The Mustang is the most dime-a-dozen sports car in America. Mustangs depreciate incredibly fast, way faster than a f-body.

haha i was waiting for you to chime in here choco.. i almost replied to that comment but i knew you would... honestly that guys an idiot for thinking that these cars depeciate faster considering that our cars are several years older and still sell for same price as a fairly new mustang
Old 08-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
haha i was waiting for you to chime in here choco.. i almost replied to that comment but i knew you would... honestly that guys an idiot for thinking that these cars depeciate faster considering that our cars are several years older and still sell for same price as a fairly new mustang

This is yet another reason why I wanted a Ford. I wanted something cheap to give me what I wanted from an LS1, but like you guys explained, the Stang would be a waste of money.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

not a complete waste, there ok cars somewhat quick for the price but like stated, you can get better for same price.. personally i'm buying a 03 cobra soon hopefully and that's a sweet car.. i love F-Bodys and i always will, it's my car of choice but a Cobra 03 is a badass car, fast and easy to mod and get fast quick. plus it looks pretty nice to, i can have best of both worlds
Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,791 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikElvis
In that case just look for a nice car that your not gonna feel bad about puttin mileage on. Like the others said some good deals are out there. No sense in paying a premium for a low mileage car.

If you plan to build up miles fast and daily drive the car in all sorts of weather and road conditions, I see no reason to hunt for an ultra low mileage, mint condition car and pay so much more to get it.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
Well, I'm not saying that f-bodys don't depreciate fast. American cars in general aren't known for holding their value. However, very few cars depreciate faster than a Ford in general, let alone a Mustang, the most common, fastest depreciating muscle car on the road. Everyone and your mother has one - they're a dime a dozen. That's why they're so saught after: you can buy a nice looking, low mile V8 muscle car for pennies compared to any other car in its class.

But seriously, look at all the dealerships and private sellers still asking over $20,000 for a 5+ year old f-body. A low mile 2002 SS will still sell for over $20,000. F-bodys may not hold their value like a Porsche or a Lexus, but they do alright.

The only Mustangs that hold their value well are Terminators, and I suspect the new GT500, but they are niche market, high dollar (comparatively) cars with small production runs.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Launching!

My brother snagged a 1989 Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed with 59k miles that was bone stock in perfect condition for $6k. Try to find something like that, and with a few thousand invested, the car would fly.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

on friday or saturday i will be picking up my 2000 z28, 95k miles, 6 speed, cloth interior, hardtop, good aftermarket sound system all around (very clean sound), catback, lid, and handheld tuner only, and am buying it from the original owner for $7500. it does have a couple flaws, there is a very small crack on the front bumper, and on the front right corner a smallish dent where someone hit the car in a parking lot, not noticeable from 10 feet away, and a small paint chip missing on top of the back bumper, but for the money it was a very good deal for me and my area

Quick Reply: Are F-body's overpriced?