General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are F-body's overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Are F-body's overpriced?

Are F-body's overpriced?

As most of you might know from reading my other threads, (which have helped me out allot) is that I'm looking to purchase a Camaro Z28 (later model).

I have come to a conclusion, and would like input on my thought. (Read on.)

I have come to think that the resale price for Camaros and Firebirds are more than they should be in respect to other used cars of similar style and "as new" price.

I think that once the new Camaro's are on the lots, that the current models will loose value at a quicker rate.

All this has had me thinking about getting a Mustang GT (somewhere between 1995-1999) for a year and to wait for the 2000 Camaros and the like to loose value at a quicker rate, getting me more car for the money.

Now, this is just a thought, and input would be appreciated.

Pleas post anything from performance, to gas mileage, to quality, to reliability...You get the idea.
(Yes, I will return to being a loyal F-body fan, if I do get the Stang.)

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

You're crazy.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No......the prices 75% of these prices people are asking is crazy.

I am sry but bolt on's and such don't add $3k
Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pro52R
No......the prices 75% of these prices people are asking is crazy.

I am sry but bolt on's and such don't add $3k

I agree with you 100%!!!

I think that when the new Camaro comes out, people will be more willing to let the price down to get the new car.

Just my thought, so please don't attack
Old 08-20-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

no. they arent overpriced /
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shackleford
You're crazy.
I agree, However, not sure what type of power you want or can handle. But if you want to talk about over priced, Early 90 Fox bodies are overpriced. You can find a decent ls1 out there for about 10K and start out with a base HP of 300 that can take any stock 4.6 gt mustang. Make your decsion on what you like take a stang for a test drive "A real test drive" not just around the block, then the same with a ls1. Dont Settle cause you will regret when you are chilling in your stang at a light, and a BLACK SS roles up behind you with the DRL's glowing in your mirror giving you intimidation

good luck
Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 7901 WS6
I agree, However, not sure what type of power you want or can handle. But if you want to talk about over priced, Early 90 Fox bodies are overpriced. You can find a decent ls1 out there for about 10K and start out with a base HP of 300 that can take any stock 4.6 gt mustang. Make your decsion on what you like take a stang for a test drive "A real test drive" not just around the block, then the same with a ls1. Dont Settle cause you will regret when you are chilling in your stang at a light, and a BLACK SS roles up behind you with the DRL's glowing in your mirror giving you intimidation

good luck

I and others think that 10k is overpriced for a 2000 that has ~100k miles and has been modded. People think because they have a full exhaust and a lid that they should get paid 11.5k...

I was referring to the 5.0 stang, not that I'm definitely getting it. This whole thread was a thought that I needed to put out there to see if people in the market for the same car as me think a like.

All this may turn out to be motivation for me to get the Camaro, without a second thought.

Note: I have always liked the Camaro over the Stang.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

over priced..no..I think you jsut under value the car. 94-99 mustangs are crap. i don't hate mustangs...but show me a car that you can buy from 10-14k that will run 13s right out of the box and be pretty reliable. Onyl problem I had with my camaro was the horn stopped working at 90k.

also, I don't know where your looking, but looking to buy a performance car in the summer is a bad idea..wait till the winter when the sales will slow down.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree to an extent. Some of them people ask way too much for. But, people still buy them. I got my 99 Z28, loaded with leather, ttops, M6 for $9300 with 59k on it. It has some exterior issues that need to be attended to (couple of dings, rock chips, some paint peeling on a fender that was replaced) and one of the AC lines needed to be replaced. The interior is damn near perfect though and it runs very well. Overall I think I did ok with the price of the car for the miles. Granted I will have over 10k invested when I get everything fixed how I want it, but the car is still pretty nice as is. I searched for quite some time and finally found a car with decently low miles in my price range. Keep looking and you will find something. It may not be perfect, but hardly any 8-9 year old car is that gets daily driven. Good luck man.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Are you stupid? No offense.. But find a faster car that's less than 10 years old for the price of an Fbody

edit: yes, some people with their prices on ls1 tech are outrageous. they want twice the price for their mods lol.

i'm selling my 98 with every option, a4 with a couple MINOR issues for 7k
Old 08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
over priced..no..I think you jsut under value the car. 94-99 mustangs are crap. i don't hate mustangs...but show me a car that you can buy from 10-14k that will run 13s right out of the box and be pretty reliable. Onyl problem I had with my camaro was the horn stopped working at 90k.

also, I don't know where your looking, but looking to buy a performance car in the summer is a bad idea..wait till the winter when the sales will slow down.
^agree. Prices are a little bit more right now because of the cruising and car show fever during the summer. Just wait. I really dont think that the F-bodys are too overpriced. The Trans Ams are going to bring more because of the fact that they arent made and arent going to be made again. Camaros are in the same sort of category when it comes to the 2000+ z's and ss's. If they are clean people are going to try to get a good amount for them. What do they have to loose. I dont think people who sell these cars are in the biggest hurry. Mustangs loose more value because there are so many of them, Mustangs are the biggest sellers that ford has besides the F-150. Fbodys got speed, reliability and prove over and over that you can get between 25-30mpg on the highway all day.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage

Not bad idea of waiting till the winter, but i'm not sure that will bring prices down, and the words "winter" and "test drive" don't work well together.

Another problem would be is having 2 cars at once = expensive.

What would you guys reccomend for a temorary car? One till winter?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Out of your price range does not equate to overpriced. I wanted the same thing as you but I decided 12-14k was more than I was willing to pay so I settled for something that wasn't exactly what I wanted and I'm still extremely happy. I wanted a 98-02 Black SS M6. I'm driving a 99' Pewter B4C and I have no complaints. Especially not about the $8K price. The guys that are asking 12-14K or more obviously aren't in a hurry to give up the car. If you're willing to pay it, it's not overpriced, if you're not willing or can't pay it then I say lower you expectations or be patient and keep looking. Eventually something will come up.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think its hard to answer that question, i have seen a huge variation in prices for these cars...

when i bought my 98 i paid 9k about 3 or 4 years ago, and that was from a dealership..
i drove it home, and there was a 2000 v6 firebird someone was sellin for 16k around the corner from my house.

i dont think there overpriced if you LOOK for a bit, you will find a reasonable deal. they hold there value for the most part so its not a lost investment either.

there is always someone trying to sell there car for way more than its worth for w/e they think there car is worth more. its not just the ls1 fbody world.

fwiw i was at a car show last summer with the same formula and a guy offered me 12k for it. i couldnt bring myself to sell it, but to some people certain optiosn and cars are worth more or less than to others.

i would sit and wait i've seen alot of nice cars sell for about 8k or so, (non ram air models) and the ram air models for ne where from 10k - 13k ...
Old 08-20-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F-Bods have not held their price nearly as well as Mustangs. That argument alone kills all which you have erroneously "come to think."

The reaons why it mght seem to you that F-Bodys are overpriced, if I were to offer a guess, is because you can find 98's for ~$5,000 all day long, but low-mile 02's are almost always above $20,000. I've even seen some currently in the $30,000 range. However, you can also find 02's for under $10,000 on here.

Maybe you're encountering a lot of the higher spectrum. I can't think of any other reason that you could logically reach your conclusion.

Honestly, I'm board or else I wouldn't have even replied to this.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good car until you can buy the camaro is called a "beater"..

Beater- N, A car that will be used as daily transportation and is not the prettiest of all cars but is cheap and gets good MPG.

my beater is an 86 toyota corolla or a 95 honda accord both honda and toyota's are great cars and will last forever bc they dont have enough power to break anything .

In other words buy a car for less than a $1000 and drive it back and forth to work until your ready to buy your camaro.

This is just MO
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheRealSpdFreak
I and others think that 10k is overpriced for a 2000 that has ~100k miles and has been modded. People think because they have a full exhaust and a lid that they should get paid 11.5k...

I was referring to the 5.0 stang, not that I'm definitely getting it. This whole thread was a thought that I needed to put out there to see if people in the market for the same car as me think a like.

All this may turn out to be motivation for me to get the Camaro, without a second thought.

Note: I have always liked the Camaro over the Stang.
well i'm unsure where you're looking but 100K miles is to high and maybe you need to open you're eyes just a tad bit more.. plus even at 100K it's not a bad car but you can definetly find more. most people who think there bolt ons car is worth a million more then payed for and i'll tell you most of those people are not on this website...
Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I paid $21,500 for my car 1.5 years ago. Sure I would have liked to get it cheaper but it was just what I wanted. I do not plan on selling the car anytime soon so I wasnt worried about taking a hit 2yrs down the road if I wanted to trade it in. So is it a car you plan on gettin rid of in a couple years or keeping a long time? If you plan on keeping it it may be worth paying more and getting exactly what you want. And camaros/birds def hold their value well if they are well kept. No matter what blue book says. Now a 98 cavalier with 20,000 miles in perfect garage kept condition is a different story....
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another thing is how far do you want to go to get this car? I got a GREAT deal on my "beater" a 92 SVX. It had 38K miles on it original owner I bought it for 4K but I had to fly in and then drive it home 3,300 miles. That added about $600 to the total cost of the car, but still a great deal.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Got my 1999 Black 6-Speed Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with 48k miles on it with all power options, leather, traction control, A/C, rear window defogger, Monsoon stereo, etc. and completely stock and unmolested for $10k. It is a HARDTOP on top of all that. There are deals out there, you just have to look hard enough. I got that price 2.5 years ago after searching for 15 months. You get the idea. There are deals, but you just have to be patient.

However, if you can settle for an LT1 you can get those with 80k-100k miles on them for around $4000. Then you can make it a 383 or 396 stroker. Or you could mod a similarly priced "fox" body mustang.

Quick Reply: Are F-body's overpriced?