General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are F-body's overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,791 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by speedshifterNC
The best musclecar ever made is the new ZO6.
ZO6 is a sports car, not a muscle car.

Sorry guys but best bang for the buck will always be the 86-93 foxbodys(lightweight, powerful, fun, good handling, stylish, and bulletproof).
Not really. High mileage, decent condition LS1 Camaros can be had for the same price as a decent fox body these days. And the Camaro starts off quite a bit quicker. As for the price of mods, the LS1 is still more expensive to make fast, for the most part. N2O being the exception.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,791 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
even the shocks were bright yellow & blue with factory marking everywhere.
Factory assmebly line shocks were orange colored DeCarbons. Can't remember what color the SLP Bilsteins were though.... they may have been yellow. But that would only have come on a Firehawk or SS with SLP suspension options.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Factory assmebly line shocks were orange colored DeCarbons. Can't remember what color the SLP Bilsteins were though.... they may have been yellow. But that would only have come on a Firehawk or SS with SLP suspension options.
the SLP bilsteins are yellow and an aqua blue or blue green color.

the only way these cars are overpriced is depending on your location. out here its pretty hard to come up on something from the 98-02 years for 5k-8k.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Red face

Originally Posted by TheRealSpdFreak
If I would get the Song, I wouldn't mod it, just drive it till I get a Camaro.

On a side note, whats a decent Stand forum?

If you get a Stang the early fox bodies with 5.0 were pretty light especially the LX version. Personally I like the 94-95 years because that was the last years for the infamous 5.0 which can be modified to the hilt. 96-98 were the real turds unless you got a Cobra.99-2004 were low 14.0 second cars again except the Cobra. I think a nice clean 98 Cobra convertible with an 04 blown Cobra motor would be the " tit's " ! It would easily sucker punch a bolt-on SS or Z/28 . But your talkin big bucks . If your talkin close to stock DD the Z/28 simply cannot be beat for the money . You could always do a Cobra clone though .
Old 08-22-2007, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 279 Likes on 106 Posts

It all depends what you want, I paid 18,000 for a 2000 Camaro SS (loaded) that was an auto (A4) with a HARDTOP. I looked for 6 months and before finding the color an options I wanted. Didn't think I would ever come across it without traveling half way across the country. The car had 2800 miles and was bone stock and still had the new car smell in it. Had to drive 8 hrs.

For the color option I wanted and the fact I wouldn't settle for anything but a Hardtop it was worth it IMO. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon either.

After spending over 20k in mods and professionally installing everyone one of them, detailing, painting, no cobbled up nothing I wouldn't take much less than I have in it. 40k will buy alot of car - no argument there. But it has to be what you want. And right now I am into LS powered, late model straightline performance (1/4) style with A/C. IMO, it is a better chassis/driveline to drag race compared to a Vette or GTO.

These cars are expensive to build, but having a low 10 second car you can drive with comfort, looks and A/C is not something you can have for much less than 40k anyway. It all depends what you want. This car looks better than showroom NEW today, and runs a hell of alot better.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Black on Black M6 WS6 Trans Am, 2000. Bought it a few months ago, 14,5. Worth every penny, I mean, find me a faster car for the price.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by IFRYRCE
Black on Black M6 WS6 Trans Am, 2000. Bought it a few months ago, 14,5. Worth every penny, I mean, find me a faster car for the price.
Damn i pad 14.5 for my 2000 TA a few years back and it was in mint condition.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The best musclecar ever made is the new ZO6. But for a small fraction of the price you can buy an LS1 f-body, build it all out and still have money left over to buy a used ls1 vette as a daily driver. Sorry guys but best bang for the buck will always be the 86-93 foxbodys(lightweight, powerful, fun, good handling, stylish, and bulletproof). If Chevy would have kept the weight down and I don't know put a decent rearend in a V8 Camaro that opinion might change. Coupe foxbody's are the best buy right now as their value is starting to increase....like you said as an investment until you can buy and/or build the perfect lsx F-body.

I don't classify the Z06 as a musclecar at all. It's a sports car. Never was a musclecar. Never will be. Musclecars have four seats and a trunk.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
If you get a Stang the early fox bodies with 5.0 were pretty light especially the LX version. Personally I like the 94-95 years because that was the last years for the infamous 5.0 which can be modified to the hilt. 96-98 were the real turds unless you got a Cobra.99-2004 were low 14.0 second cars again except the Cobra. I think a nice clean 98 Cobra convertible with an 04 blown Cobra motor would be the " tit's " ! It would easily sucker punch a bolt-on SS or Z/28 . But your talkin big bucks . If your talkin close to stock DD the Z/28 simply cannot be beat for the money . You could always do a Cobra clone though .

I'm not looking to blow money on a Stang right now, so I think I'm going to go with what people here are advising and get a dd till middwinter and then pick up a car.

I will still look for one till then, but with less interest as I hope to now pick up a 4th gen Maxima and use it to get around and collect the abuse till I get my desired car.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by helicoil
It all depends what you want, I paid 18,000 for a 2000 Camaro SS (loaded) that was an auto (A4) with a HARDTOP. I looked for 6 months and before finding the color an options I wanted. Didn't think I would ever come across it without traveling half way across the country. The car had 2800 miles and was bone stock and still had the new car smell in it. Had to drive 8 hrs.

For the color option I wanted and the fact I wouldn't settle for anything but a Hardtop it was worth it IMO. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon either.

After spending over 20k in mods and professionally installing everyone one of them, detailing, painting, no cobbled up nothing I wouldn't take much less than I have in it. 40k will buy alot of car - no argument there. But it has to be what you want. And right now I am into LS powered, late model straightline performance (1/4) style with A/C. IMO, it is a better chassis/driveline to drag race compared to a Vette or GTO.

These cars are expensive to build, but having a low 10 second car you can drive with comfort, looks and A/C is not something you can have for much less than 40k anyway. It all depends what you want. This car looks better than showroom NEW today, and runs a hell of alot better.

The coupe is my main consern. As for what I'll be using the car for, I like to just know I could own the road if I have to, and be able to take it to the 1/4 track and once or twice a year to roadracing, to gain skill for the highway and twisties (I know the car wasn't meant for that).
Old 08-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IFRYRCE

You got a great deal!

I would like a black car, but being in the used car market means that you sometimes have to settle for something you might not like on first glance and have it grow on you. I'll take a peuter, but thats it for my color choice.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Resident

i think you get alot for the price of a camaro. granted on websites like this, people tend to overprice their cars, because they feel it is MORE special than the next guys.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:28 AM
Launching!

Around here F-bodies don't seem to bad to me. 98-99's can be had quite cheap actually. But I do tend to notice 01-02's are the most over priced since they are newer and have the better intake along with other little things. Although that still doesn't justify the huge price gap I see between the two groups at times. But eh....I really don't look that much. So I bet that there are deals on newer F-bodies you just have to check constantly and catch em before everyone else does.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brad8266
Damn i pad 14.5 for my 2000 TA a few years back and it was in mint condition.
64k miles when I bought it, very good condition and unmodded except for a flowmaster muffler and a electric cutout I had to finish installing (he left it open all the time). Not at all how I'd go about doing exhaust, but eh.

Originally Posted by TheRealSpdFreak
You got a great deal!

I would like a black car, but being in the used car market means that you sometimes have to settle for something you might not like on first glance and have it grow on you. I'll take a peuter, but thats it for my color choice.
Considering what I wanted, a black on black WS6 with a T56, I didn't do too bad. It was pretty specific and the car was really worth less (market value-wise), but I don't mind. It was worth it, I wouldn't settle for anything else. Lots of friends were saying buy a TA and get the WS9 hood, or a WS6 one, but I can't STAND clones (no offence to any of you out there ). I have no T/C, didn't notice when I bought it and sure don't care . But it was a pretty specific car, I wasn't going to go too far (I drove from Atlanta to mid-Virginia and back in a day to get it), and I'd looked for almost a year.

Y'know, you get what you pay for. It's exactly the car I wanted, and I make enough at my job to make payments and mod it, too. Not doin' bad for a 16 year old, eh?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding a road runner and wideband, price just jumped to 40k. Baddest n/a stock cubed 99 Camaro on the planet....
Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my camaro with 58,900miles m6 stock frmo a toyota dealer for about $14,440 and thats with bumper to bumper toyota gold star warranty ........and i have never regreted it this is the car of my dreams
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think they are one of the best deals...i bought my 99 TA for 6k with 120k on the clock. thats a real good deal i think but i think you can get a camaro or trans am around 8k. For what these cars have and how good they respond to mods, you cant go wrong. What do i know tho im just a carpenter
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best performance per dollar ratio of any car on the road, as they were new and used. Overpriced? Hell no.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Spdfreak, I have a roller 99 hardtop m6 wrecked roller(well not really rolling cause the kmember is currently sitting in front of it) but I'll sell it cheap if you're wanting something to build..it's black

Speedy, I said Z06 musclecar relatively speaking refering to the muscle we all know and love under the hood(lsx) sorry to confuse everyone
Old 09-01-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speedy
No price is too high for a 4th gen F-Body. The best musclecars ever made.

Camaro's,T/A's,Stangs are not muscle cars..

they are Pony Cars...just to throw that out there

Chevelle,GTO,Skylark,Satellite,Galaxy,etc are muscle cars

Quick Reply: Are F-body's overpriced?