General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Are F-body's overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No they aren't. I got mine for $7900 with 87k miles that were all driven by a woman. All soft miles no hard running at all. Had a chokemaster exhaust and a sub box. Both of which I've replaced or got rid of.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Banned

THATS why some people say either leave um stock or save the old parts & put um back stock when your ready to sell !
Old 09-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Default money to mods....

I dont understand how people think they should be able to get a highly modded LS1 for under 10,000 dollars and think they arent gonna spend money when it comes time to mod it. I have a highly modded LS1 that cost me alot more than 10g's just for parts and that was at a deal, you cant expect to pay 10g's for a modded Ls1 unless it is a pile or getting there. Everybody wants a deal and forgets how much it costs to get there. I put my car up for sale for 25,000 and it has 52k miles on it and lots of power adders. I have an automatic that has been completely redone and has a shift kit with a 3500 stall in it. I was told i am asking to much for an automatic, I dont see how it is too much for an automatic that will dust alot of M6's out there. I guess i should just sell it for 10k and be happy someone else just raped me for a high mod vehicle cause they cant afford to buy it and do it themselves. I understand how mods dont equal resale or you dont get what you put in to them but what is the deal with people wanting a modded car for under 10k? these arent mustangs.....
Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

IMO these cars are not overpriced.

When comparing them to other cars and what they are worth etc.. you simply can't. One reason being that alot of people who own these cars take such good care of them and keep them perfect that they are worth what they ask. Second, there are like what hundreds of thousands of Mustangs out there, and less than 100,000 f-bodies produced each year I beleive so that makes the cars harder to find, and even harder to find one that is in excellent condition.

A car is worth as much as the demand is for them. In my area a mint F-body never seems to sell for book value, they sell for more and people will pay it because the demand for them is apparently high. Now some people that claim a car is perfect/mint are crazy, because everyone's view of a Mint condition car is different, but as far as pricing on the mint cars out there, the prices are fair...for others that have not the best shape cars and still want over book value, now that I agree is insane.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
12 Second Club

i think they are over priced. but if they wernt. then every little *** would have one
Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Look, in my personal opinion... if you are going to "wait" for the F-bodies to drop in value so you can get one cheaper, i wouldn't get a 'Stang "in the meantime" (just know that the longer you wait, the more mileage most cars are going to put on them, for the most part). What i would do is save my money from now until you're ready to buy. I wouldn't go the route of "Oh, while i'm waiting i'll get the step below (way below) the LS1 until i can afford it". Because as soon as you spend money on a Mustang or whatever you buy, that could have been 4k-10k you could have been putting away towards the F-body later on down the road. Not to mention supporting mods with the savings you have left over for the car.

Now if you NEED a car in the meantime, that's a different story. I would get something economical like a Taurus or something cheap as nutts that will go as light on your wallet as possible. Just my .02
Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

I hear you guys. But look what I paid for my car. o1 formula, 40k miles with just gears. $11k from original owner who happened to be 60 years old. There are guys out there asking 15k for the same car. There nuts. I would not pay that for a moded car either ( any type of power adder). Unless i knew the car. Never know how bad it was beat on. Thats alot of money to take a chance on. Makes you wonder why someone would put all that money in and then sell it. My Impala, i got tired of trying to go fast in a 4400 lbs car. Luckly I got what i did, they hold there value better than the F-bodys and i still lost my azz on the deal. You just dont get back what you put into them and you cant be upset when you dont. If so, dont sell the car.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

Don't know how they are overpriced exactly. Just picked up a 02 with 89k a4 silver absolutely spotless runs perfect for 7.5k.

Find a 5.0 with the same mileage that gets as good gas mileage and is as nice.........You won't.

Now find a car that is as new that can hang with it and in the same condition for within 3-4k that's not a f-body.......... You won't.

Look harder is all I gotta say.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:34 PM

Good luck with your search. If you are considering a '96-'98 Mustang GT w/ 215 HP you might as well consider a '98-'02 f-body V6 w/200 HP. The phrase, "you pay for what you get" is applicable here. LS1 f-bodies are not overpriced. They were more costly than Mustangs when new and are superior vehicles...end of story.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default haha

i read first couple of replies and skipped to end... but ^^^ is right... get a 98 up fbody v6... can outrun stock AT convertible 95ish stangs(what a joke) and as far as fbodies overpriced... look at what yopu get for the money... what else compares.... for the money nothing... close to the money your spending another 10 grand... so to someone that doesnt care how fast it goes then YES overpriced.... but you are buying it ecause they are sexy as hell and fast as hell... so if you dont want to pay for your performance quit bitchin and buy a honda or a mustang... and yes they are in the same category..
Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are kind of spendy but I prefer the term "natural selection". If they were cheap every dirtball/teenage kid would have one. The higher price usually means that someone who owns one will appreciate it more and take care of it better,rather than run it into the ground(not that this doesn't happen). Basically the high price keeps the " people" in the third gens where they belong .
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

GF and i just paid 13K OTD for an 02 SS with 50K miles
Old 09-20-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA you guys have no idea.. IN SEATTLE.. THEY ARE WAAAAAAAAAAY over priced!!!

Quick Reply: Are F-body's overpriced?