General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car salesmen...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the OP.. dude you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. He probably didnt' know the difference. If the car was really that nice as you say I wouldn't have let a little thing like that keep me from buying the car. You should have test driven it anyway. Relax man drink a beer or two I bought my T/A used, didn't even ask them about the engine since I knew what was in it. All the salesman said to me was it scoots!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO you took it way to far. As a previous poster said you should have said something about piston slap and body damage and tried to make them drop the price some more. Then maybe looked under the car at the rear end as it prob had dif. fluid all over it and you should have brought that up.. Then look for the interior door panel cracks where the stress point is and you could have prob made them drop the price quite a bit.

As i said you took it way to far as the guy was correct all LS1's were made at the same place whether it be for a corvette, GTO, TA, or Z28 they were all made at one place with only minor differences.. If he said the motor had been swapped then you should have went along with it asking "what happened to the original motor? Was it blown up?" There were alot better ways to deal with that situation than burning out leaving the lot
Old 08-21-2007, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

I ******* hate dealing with *** holes like you. You had a chip on your shoulder when you went on that lot. I hate people that stereotype EVERY salesman as being a lying, money hungry, rip off artist. That's like saying EVERY Asian knows Karate. You should go back to that salesman, apologize, and pay full price for the SS!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's pretty obvious he just misinterpreted your question. It seems to me that when you asked him if it was swapped out of a vette that he just took it as you asking if they shared the same engine. I really don't think he was trying to imply that someone physically did an engine swap with a vette after the car was purchased. The fact that he knew that it had a vette engine is more than you should expect for a used car, especially if it was on a non-Chevy lot. Can't tell you how many times I've been looking at NEW cars and the salesman there didn't even know anything about the cars they deal with everyday. I was looking at 4Runners one time and the guy was clueless I was basically teaching him about all the differences in trim levels and engines and whatnot. I always go into a car sale assuming the salesman doesn't know much about the car. I know what I'm looking for and only expect the salesman to workout a good deal for me, not teach me about the vehicle. It's funny how many really don't know anything I could pick any dealer at random no matter what brand and probably know more about most of the cars there than some of their salesman.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man I kinda feel bad for the OP, he is getting slammed around a little bit. . Tough croud. LOL
Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.K.

The dealer wasn't clear, and you were a little hot-headed. Move on with your life and go buy a car.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad2000z
I ******* hate dealing with *** holes like you. You had a chip on your shoulder when you went on that lot. I hate people that stereotype EVERY salesman as being a lying, money hungry, rip off artist. That's like saying EVERY Asian knows Karate. You should go back to that salesman, apologize, and pay full price for the SS!
In about 3 more years i'm planning on starting a car dealership. Noo... I did not have a chip on my shoulder because I was seriously interested in the car. Not all used car dealers are *** holes.. theres the select few that make people look bad.

I didnt think I was asking him for too much to tell the truth to me. Theres a method to my madness. If he would have given me an honest answer such as "This is how it came from the factory".. Or even a simple "No" Would have made me happy. And if he did not know.. And then said "Let me check with someone".. I would have stopped him from wasting his time to go and check and then test drive and possibly buy it from him.

But the thing that a lot of you arent realizing is, I asked if this engine was swapped out of 1 corvette (not all corvettes in general) and put into this one. Many of you may think im wrong, but I dont like when people lie to me. And I could tell he was lying to me. This was not the first LS1 in a Camaro that he has ever seen. He had 2 other Z28s on his lot with LS1s.

I do understand that not all car dealers know every engine that goes in every car, But if you dont know something.. Ask someone and dont just lie about it. Maby I did go a little over board.. But If im going to be spending $22,000 on a Camaro, I want them to be honest with me and be able to answer questions about it.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok.. first off. who goes to buy a car not knowing about it?? i think the idiot is the one who buys a car not knowing **** about it. the salesmen is a dumbass who needs to sell cars to make money. never ask a salesmen about the car because if they knew **** about cars and engines. they wouldnt be a saleman.

the salesmen is only there to do the papers for the car not ask technical questions. anyone buying a SS camaro should know what its got or they shouldnt get a car like that. anyone with half a brain researches what there buying before they buy.

they prolly laughed at you for doing what you did
Old 08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FieroZ34
WTF? He was right. They quite literally did swap it from the Corvette, to the Camaro. They redesigned some minor parts that needed to be, but the engine and everything influencing power output is the same. He wasn't lying to you. For all practical purposes, the engines are the same. There is no part on either that will affect how one performs over the other.

You act as if he doesn't know what he's talking about. And maybe he doesn't. But the one circumstance you gave us, he was factually correct on. You're the idiot here.
Agree 1000%. OP is indeed the moron here.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

salesmen don't sell cars the price does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway why would anyone in there right mind belive a salesman? salesmen are only after the sell.

if you like the car and the price buy it, who cares if he is a lier or whatever
Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
Agree 1000%. OP is indeed the moron here.
Did anyone read the original post here? Honestly.. It seriously sounds like you guys are reading another topic in another forum and just posting in here. now for about the 50th time.. I never asked him if the engines were the same.. I asked if the engine was swapped out of a vette and put into this camaro. Fiero is technically correct, but it really doesnt have too much to do with the same topic that i'm talking about.

I love how people are misinterpreting this though. I know that the vettes and Camaros both have the LS1s in them, So I didnt ask him if they did. I wanted to see what kind of answers I would get if I asked him a question. Yes, I probibly did know a lot more about the car than he did, but im 10,000% sure he knew exactly what motor the car had in it and he knew it was a factory engine and not literally swapped out of a corvette and placed into a camaro. But he said it was.. So that made me mad. imagine if I didnt know anything about the car (Which happens to a lot of people buying a car).. And hes lying to me and giving me false info. Then after i bought it, I learned that it was in fact a stock engine and there was in fact no engine swap. Look at it from that angle. Hes probibly going to walk all over the next person in line looking at it and is going to tell them the exact same thing knowing that he is lying to them with the engine swap. you can say what ever you want, but im not going to spend my money at a car dealership that lies to me or cant answer questions.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaro9495
OMG! Are you kidding me! you know what I'm talking about... Actually taking the engine right from a corvette and placing it in a Camaro. AKA ENGINE SWAP! Thats what I asked him.. Not if the LS1 was in the corvettes before they were put into the Camaros.
Camaro9495 you need to lighten up a little. Maybe grow up a little. Salesmen are fun to deal with and good ones can be very entertaining.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Camaro9495
I had some extra time on my hands today, So I decided to go out and look for some Camaros and Trans Ams at some car dealerships. I found a very nice 2002 35 anniversary Camaro SS for $22000. I know a good amount of details about F-Bodies, So he wasnt going to fool me with the facts on them. I was looking at the car and asked him if he could start it up and pop the hood. While he was getting in, he said "This car has a corvette engine in it". Just to get a feel for what kind of guy I was dealing with, I started to act like I didnt know a single thing about them. I said to him "Did they swap the engine right out of the corvette?". He then told me "Yeah".

That was not what I was expecting to hear from him. I then said "Are you sure about that?". He then replied, "How else would they get the motor in there?".. At this point I was mad because I knew he was lying to me and was only trying to sell the car. I then said to him.. "Do you think im an idiot". The salesmen said "What are you talking about". I said "It a stock friggen car.. There was no engine swap, Thats how it came from the factory!".. I shut him up pretty quickly. I then said to him.. "You just lost yourself a sale.. If everything would have checked out, I probibly would have bought the car from you!". He then said "But it is a corvette engine though!". I said back to him "your right, but you knew nobody swapped the engine into it". I was pretty pissed because I dont like when people try to decieve me.. I then said "Good luck staying in business lying to potential customers". He appoligised only because he knew I caught him. I didnt care though. I got into my car and spun my tires out of his lot and into the road. I will never go there again because of his approach to selling cars. He knew that the engine was not swapped out and was the stock engine. Why else would he have appoligised.. he knew I caught him..

It was too bad because it looked like a nice car. I just thought to my self... If this is how hes approaching me on selling the car, what kind of service am I going to get from him after I buy it? OOOhhh well, theres pleanty of other Camaros out there for sale.

Has this ever happend to anyone else...?

I had a little extra time on my hands today also DICK TRACY, all I want or the facts, so I came to work at the car dealership. Come visit my car lot anytime I sell Chevrolets

So, what I learned from this story was there never was a 5.7 in a Corvette? The person waiting on you only needs to know a few things. On a used car lot here are the steps:

Do I have a car you're interested in and willing to buy today if the figures are agreeable to you? Are you paying with check or do I need to find a bank for you? If the answers to my questions are what I want to here we'll go for a test drive Do you really think you're the first person with a little free time that wanted to waste the time of a commission sales person? You think this car sell business is so damn easy why don't you try it? In one week you're *** would be broke. It takes more than car knowledge to sell a car. The guy perhaps read you like a book. In the business you are called a flake.

And you're wrong DICK TRACY there aren't too many 35 th anniversary Camaro's worth buying.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Give the guy a break, he was just tryin to do his job, and think about it, if he heard it had a vette engine in it and didnt know S*** about LS1's ANYONE woulda assumed that it was swapped. Hell when I was first lookin at cars I found a mustang GT that had a 32 valve cobra engine swapped in it and the salesperson did NOT even know it just said it pulled harder then any mustang GT hes seen. As already said its not there job to know there car specs in and out, its there job to assist you in buying them and pushin the paper work through.
to me this would be like you asking him "What size is the engine in this car?" and if he replies "a 350" you gettin mad b/c in reality its only a 346ci but again you would have to know somethin about these cars to know that
Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Give the guy a break, he was just tryin to do his job, and think about it, if he heard it had a vette engine in it and didnt know S*** about LS1's ANYONE woulda assumed that it was swapped. Hell when I was first lookin at cars I found a mustang GT that had a 32 valve cobra engine swapped in it and the salesperson did NOT even know it just said it pulled harder then any mustang GT hes seen. As already said its not there job to know there car specs in and out, its there job to assist you in buying them and pushin the paper work through.
to me this would be like you asking him "What size is the engine in this car?" and if he replies "a 350" you gettin mad b/c in reality its only a 346ci but again you would have to know somethin about these cars to know that
That pretty much sums it up
Old 08-21-2007, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Default engine

maybe it wasnt the factory engine maybe it had been blew up and someone put a wrecked vette engine in it u never know
Old 08-21-2007, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
I had a little extra time on my hands today also DICK TRACY, all I want or the facts, so I came to work at the car dealership. Come visit my car lot anytime I sell Chevrolets

So, what I learned from this story was there never was a 5.7 in a Corvette? The person waiting on you only needs to know a few things. On a used car lot here are the steps:

Do I have a car you're interested in and willing to buy today if the figures are agreeable to you? Are you paying with check or do I need to find a bank for you? If the answers to my questions are what I want to here we'll go for a test drive Do you really think you're the first person with a little free time that wanted to waste the time of a commission sales person? You think this car sell business is so damn easy why don't you try it? In one week you're *** would be broke. It takes more than car knowledge to sell a car. The guy perhaps read you like a book. In the business you are called a flake.

And you're wrong DICK TRACY there aren't too many 35 th anniversary Camaro's worth buying.
Some of that actually made sense.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know man, you where a little hard on they guy just trying to make some money to feed his kids...
Old 08-21-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Again, it seems he just misunderstood your question so you should just drop it and move on. Plus, if you're starting a car dealership why are you browsing used car lots, obviously you have alot of cash layin around. Starting any kind of business is not cheap at all.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

let me help ya out here (always wanted to do that)